Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help please - 56 gmc short box question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LordDevlin, Dec 23, 2012.

1. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

Hi guys,

This is only my 3rd thread since introducing myself a few months ago. I have a bit of a concern/question I hope to be able to get a quick answer on. I recently bought a truck on ebay for a reasonable price and still need to have it shipped home. It was listed as a 56 and the title says 56 and in the pics it is clearly a short box. When I searched the serial number this evening, it comes up showing that its a 55 and a 1/2 ton but long box. I did some looking around and found another truck advertised as a 56 gmc but the serial number said it was a 55. So either the tags can sometimes be wrong or its another truck that is wrongly advertised. The box actually has 3 stake holders in either side of the bed. I thought that was only for long boxes which means that maybe this truck was originally a long box and they shorted the box and frame. Does anyone know of short boxes that had 3 stake holders in each side?

Thanks for your time. I really hope to get some answers because I need to figure this out by tomorrow if I decide to go through with getting it shipped.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

might be difference from when manufactured and when first sold. who knows what was done to the bed over the years. yep, long beds have the 3 stake pockets. but, if truck looks good what the diff? unless you are into restored stuff. just ask for more close up pics of all of bed in and out and frame. ***also, possible that it is a short truck that had been in a rearend accident. a short box replacement could not be found and shortened long box was used

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

Thanks for your reply. I just dont want to get a truck home that has been all basterdized and cut up. At this point the relationship with the seller is pretty bad. He has gotten pissed with all the questions from my father and I so asking for more pics isnt really an option. Im thinking that maybe the cab (and serial number plate) were maybe off another truck that was a long box and they kept that serial number for the title. Who knows really. Might have to check the serial number on the frame. I just dont want a truck whos frame has been all cut up.

i realize that the long beds have the 3 pockets, but have you ever seen a short box with 3?

Thanks again.

4. ...some GMC 1/2 tons used the long box...?...unlike Chevy

5. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

Yes, I found that out when I was looking it up. Longer box meant longer wheelbase. This truck looks to have the regular wheel base with a short box, however the box has three stake pockets in either side which doesnt make sense.

6. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

Here's a little bit to muddy things up some more...
    from OldCarKook over on the oldgmctrucks. site

"1/2 ton 100 series trucks were available in either 116" or 125.25" from '47/'54, and in either 114" or 123.25" from '55/'59.

3/4 ton 150 series trucks were available only in 125.25" from '47/'54, or, in 123.25" from '55-'59.

Now the kicker:
    1 ton 250 series trucks were available in 116", 125.25", and 137" wheelbases from '47-'54, and in 114", 123.25", and 135" wheelbases from '55-'59.

Therefore, you could get the shortbed, longbed, or 9' bed all on a 1 ton if you ordered it that way, but that was the only model that offered all three bed sizes in one model."

but to get to your # of pockets question I found this on the same site...
    "You can also tell by counting stake pockets- short bed has two, long bed has three per side"

7. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

Thanks so much for your help. Thats exactly what I figured. This truck has obviously had some stuff done to it that Im not willing to accept. Not only must the frame been shortened, but its not even a short box that they put on, its a shorted long box.

Could you please provide the link to that info on the site as I can only find the site not the exact page. Thanks again.

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I've had all sorts of trucks, with all sorts of bastardizations done to them. Remember, they are trucks, and back in the day they were used as trucks. Their owners did whatever they needed to in order to suit their needs.

BTW - when sellers get pissed about questions, thats usually a sign to stay away from whatever they are selling.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Good advice from Voodoo Twin on pissed sellers!!! My personal experience is that projects are always in worse condition than what you saw at first sight!!

10. x3!! That would make me very wary.

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

You said you already bought the truck,are you trying to back out on the sale like most e-bay buyers or what. If you can't look at something yourself or get someone to for you don't waste your time or the sellers. This happens all the time,then the buyer whines about what he bought.

12. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

It's in the Garage- in the Tech section under Box Length
    good luck

13. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

are the pockets the same distance apart ? if they are someone went to a lot of trouble to make it work .

14. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

I'm afraid I have to agree with Brad Chevy. I can understand why the seller is getting pissed about all your questions - you already BOUGHT the truck. The time to research and ask questions is BEFORE you buy it. An online auction is not a layaway plan or a "hold" until you decide for sure. We've all had buyers remorse at one time or another, but you're only as good as your word. If you bought it sight unseen without checking it out first, it's your mistake. You suck it up and make the best of it.

15. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

The truck was listed on ebay and we called up and bought it directly from him. He was getting pissed about questions even beforehand which, as stated, should have been a good warning sign. THis is my first time buying a classic vehicle, not to mention one off the internet, so yes I agree that more should have been done on my part before purchase. It was advertised as a 56 gmc 1/2 ton short box, and it turns out its a 55 long box. False advertising is false advertising. I found this out when he sent the serial number after the purchase, which again could be interpreted as my fault. The bed is out of the truck so I asked him to check to see if there was any work done to the frame because he could see it easily and he said there was none. The truck is still with him in Montana and i will eat the $3500 if I have to before I drop another $2000 to ship and get across the border if Im gonna hate having it when I get it home.

When I questioned the box length and whatnot he offered to relist it and give us our money back if he sells it for the same or more. This makes me think that he knows exactly what he was doing.

Anyway, lesson learned I guess. I am not defending my ignorance with this purchase and denying that I should take blame, you are right I should for not having done my homework more before purchase. That being said I thank you all for your advice and help.

16. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

No from what I can tell they arent. The middle pockets are closer to the front of the box/cab. This means he took it out between the front of the box and the fender, right down through the step. i think they actually took too much out cause when I compare the pic to my fathers truck here, the space is smaller on the truck in question, almost the same length as the top of the window vent in the cab (i did a bit of a comparison on the pic). Also, they left the box the way it was at the back end so theres more box past the back end of the fender then what there would be on a short box and its noticeable.

When I told him about short boxes only having 2 stake pockets, he argued and said that he has two other short boxes in his shop and they both have 3 pockets, so hes definitely out to lunch.

17. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

I guess next time Ill have to politely ask someone on here to take a look at a truck for me so that I dont get caught in the same type of mess again. Does that happen a lot on here where ppl offer to look at a vehicle near them for someone that isn't close?

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

You got any pictures of this truck you bought for $3500.

19. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Perhaps the reason the seller is getting all pissy is because it sounds like you're asking all these questions AFTER you were the successful bidder. Any inquiries as to the validity of the title and modifications (if any) to the body or other equipment need to be addressed BEFORE you start bidding. That being said, if the seller has misrepresented the item in any way, then you can ask to have the transaction nullified if you've been seriously mislead. Ebay doesn't really appreciate bidders getting inquisitive after they've already bid and won.

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

He didn't bid on the auction, he called the guy and bought it outright.

21. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

Note specific to the issues raised, but my 1956 3100 late year build has 1957 front sheetmetal.

So I guess:
    1. It was late 56 build and the factory had already switched to the 57 sheetmetal << most likely
    2. It was wrecked and switched to 57 sheetmetal- there is no indications (frame damage) etc.

22. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

it is a big mistake to circumvent ebay . now u have no representation if u had bought thru paypal this would be over already. u misrepresent some thing on ebay and they will return your money and go after the seller . remember this next time

23. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

Like I said, Im new to all this. Should I be hesitant to post pics on here of the truck after I described it and my concerns with it in this thread knowing that it is going to be relisted again on ebay?

24. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

Yes you are absolutely correct. I called ebay and they told me that, and provided a couple alternatives to contact for help. We paid the deposit through paypal.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yikes!-so many mistakes. if seller will put in writing about the offer to give your $$ back take it. none of us can afford to walk away from $$ you have spent.

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

Walk away from this truck and more specifically, this seller. ANY seller who get's pissed about a buyer asking questions is hiding something. It also means that you will get NO satisfaction if this truck is a bastardized piece of shit. Also could mean that this isn't really his truck, especially if the paperwork doesn't match the truck. Do you know anyone in the area the truck is located? Maybe they could go take a look? I wouldn't give this guy a nickel if it were me...

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

Is the seller pissed because he hasn't gotten paid yet on it?

28. 1959apache

1959apache

If the vin is stating that it is a longbox and it isn't a longbox frame/truck/etc, then the vin doesnt belong to that truck...unless the cab belongs to another truck... This truck could be stolen and if misrepresented in the ways you think it maybe over the internet is called fraud. If he doesn't want to send you the pictures of the vehicle, then consider it a scam and walk. Never buy on the internet for your first car, unless it is from a trusted source that has some kind of protection, such as the HAMB if you are an alliance member. Evilbay is just CraigsL but you have to pay fees... too many scammers.

29. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

He has been paid but has agreed to relist it. He said that if he doesnt get the money for the truck that we paid when he relists it that he would relist it again in hopes of getting it. He tells me that he bought it off his long time buddy who got it years ago from his grandfather who is the original owner. He told me that he has known this truck for years and nothing was ever done to it and still denies it. He has a shop and is building a similar truck there into a rod. He says he knows all about these types of trucks but obviously not enough to realize that this isnt a short box. When I confronted him with the serial number concerns, he said that they made mistakes on them all the time. I could see there maybe being an issue with the year depending on when the truck was manufactured, but when it comes to the longbox part, theres no screwing that up.

Regardless, the truck doesnt even look like a short box would. The box is messed up.

He told me that he will not put it in writing cause he can't guarantee that he will get the money. But he is relisting it. The problem is that he already spent the money I assume, which he has every right to have done so I cant get mad about that. All I can do right now is just wait til he relists it and hope for the best. That is unless one of you guys on here that stated before they dont mind trucks that have been messed around with wants to buy it... hahaha lol.
    I really appreciate all your help and advice guys. Its much appreciated.

30. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

The box is clearly not a true short box, its a long box that was shortened. he has a title that matches the serial number on the truck, which states that its a long box.