Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a measurement A-V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Dec 26, 2012.

1. olskool34

olskool34

I am just about getting ready to drop the flattie and trans in my a-v8 project. It is on a model A frame. The body is tucked away for the winter and not really accessible. I was wondering if somebody could give me the measurement for the front motor mounts. I would like to know how far back from the front crossmember they are? I tried Elrod because his car is exactly like mine and he tucked his in nicely but haven't heard anything. Can anybody help?

2. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

I know it'll make a difference what you're planning, for example:

Manual fan
    Modify the firewall

From memory if I remember correctly mine a 6 1/2" and me mates are 7 1/2 - mine's a '29, his is a '31.

You migh be better working from the trans mount forward - mine.

[​IMG]

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

Take it from me. Don't locate your mounts according to the way someone else did it on the same car. I know that technically it should work, but mocking everything up from firewall to radiator is the only way to do it.

Bob

4. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Concur.

5. olskool34

olskool34

Elrod gave me the measurement off his coupe and it is 6 1/2 inches so I am going to tack my mounts in and see if everything lines up. Thanks guys.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tacking is good as it's fairly easy to "untack". I'm in the boat right there beside you Oldskool34, on my 31 A Victoria one of the big things I am pondering is where to put the front motor mounts. Since I am using a T-5 I don't have to worry about the torque tube thing but want the right amount of clearance at the radiator without going into the firewall anymore than needed. I'm running an 8 BA so it's a bit different than the early engines. My next step may be to break down an buy a radiator so I can work off of it rather than other's measurements.