Register now to get rid of these ads!

I am the new caretaker of this cooool 40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haychrishay, Dec 24, 2012.

1. richie rebel

richie rebel

59ab does not have a 4in crank,have to use a merc crank

2. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Thats funny you say that, I restored the steering wheel, IE repaired cracks, repainted then had a Friend that does woodgraining paint the dirt back on. Guess it worked since you think it is untouched.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dan is gonna be jealous..........

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Most intelligent post of the thread award :rolleyes:

Nice 40, lose the wide whites, adjust the stance a little and juice up the flattie, good to go. :)

5. haychrishay

haychrishay

Yea , I don't get the cane either......sugar cane??

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. haychrishay

haychrishay

Rocky , you kiss your mother with that mouth??? Just kiddin and thanks for the advice . My brother had a model a with a real lumpy cam in it and it is tempting, but I completely blew the budget on the car and I still gotta get it here. When I started looking I was only gonna spend 10 or 12.....oh well . I did think it would be fun to have the old ford back that I bought from you.

7. He was probably talking about fender welting? Just a guess.

8. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

I believe he meant "cans" on the inner fenders. They are actually coolant filters? They say Perry Coolant Filter on the top. Only reference I have found was in Popular Mechanics 1949. They were on the car so I left them.

9. ........You might be right, Beaner, but I've never heard it referred to as "cane". I do like those scotch plaid seat covers. You never see those anymore. The spotlight and auxillary dash-mounted fan are kool as well.:)

10. I had some of those seat covers on a '55 ranch wagon when i was in high school. They were or are way cool.

There is a lot about that car that is cool without doing anything at all to it. Even if nothing at all gets changed about it it is still right up there with some better cars I have seen in a while.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. farmer12

farmer12

Beautiful! I'd drive it as it is.

12. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Nice!! hope to see it in Aug.

13. Brandi

Brandi

'40 Ford sedans are currently making me crazy. Love this car!

14. WoW! Nice!!!! I love '40 Ford Sedans also, yours looks killer!!!! Get some seat time in it, then see where you want to go with it. Better then it sitting on jack stands or collecting dust while you contemplate what you want to do with it. My $0.02

15. dad-bud

dad-bud

I'm with lothiandon - I looked at this in the classifieds a couple of times and imagined myself driving it.
    I'm not sure what I'd change on it - it looks great as it is, or at least good enough that you can drive it for a while and see what you might want to change.
    No matter what, congratulations and I hope you enjoy your new car.
    Cheers.

16. ......That solves that mystery! I didn't notice them until you posted this. There was a recent thread on the HAMB about the usefulness (or lack of ) that these filters would have on a 289 Ford motor. I was admittedly sceptical when I first read about them, but I could see where they might be beneficial for a flathead.

17. cruzr

cruzr

Make it "yours" don't be afraid to make changes . I just bought a bone stock 50 Olds and within one day I had dual exhaust and the front lowered 2 1/2 inches, took the skirts off and now it's "mine"

18. haychrishay

haychrishay

Well cvstl, I'm plannin on it, but i need to get the 2 speed working first so that will be the first project. I talked to a couple shippers and they are a month out. Anybody coming to Des Moines with an empty enclosed trailer ??? Of course the cans on the inner fenders... I should have figured that out because my fat fingers often hit the wrong keys

19. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Hey great score, I had my eye on that one too, Ive been lookin for a 39/40 for awhile.

The GMC was a great truck, I looked at it in Des Moines when we passed through on the Rodfather tour.

Good Luck with the 40 and if you get tired of it, hit me up!!

20. haychrishay

haychrishay

Well roadsterpilot I usually don't get tired of them I just can't afford all if them. Your RPU is really cool thanks for the compliment in the 56!

21. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Doesn't need much or anything for that matter, very nice.
    For starters if your already over budget. In no particular order some cheaper
    mods/goodness you could do without cluttering it up could be;
    Acorn nuts for the heads/intake.
    Air cleaner change, many different styles to chose from.
    Stainless hose kit.
    If your have dual exhaust, put Porters on it.
    If you don't have duals, put dual straight pipes all the way to the rear of the car, you can add Porters as budget permits. Flaunt that flathead sound.
    All things that you can use later when/if you change the heads or intake.

22. Yep!!

23. Interesting fun fact.... All us Hay boys now own 40 Fords. Chris with the Deluxe Tudor, my project standard Tudor, and David with a 40 pickup.

24. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I think it's cooler if you just leave the flatty stock looking. It looks like a car that a high school kid hopped up in the early 50's and threw a good running junkyard flathead in. It's a good look and style, go with it.

25. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I thought that was the case..... cool.

26. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I had basically the same thing, I put a stock 51 truck motor in with a 12 volt system, fentons, glass packs and a new headliner, then I drove it for thousands of miles. A really fun car.

Attached Files:

27. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Super nice '40, but I could surely be seen in the one below, also. Wheels, tires and the "sit" don't get no better. DD

[​IMG]

28. sololobo

sololobo

What an awesome 40, the sedans rule!! ~sololobo~

29. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

30. slobroy

slobroy

When you get the car home look at the distributor and see if it's a three bolt or a two bolt. The three bolt could possibly be the original, but the two bolt would be the later (46-48) model. They have a larger bore than the pre war flathead. Nice car. I'd find a 46-48 flatty and take my time and build it to my liking and swap 'em out after I wore out the motor you have...Just my 2 cents.