Register now to get rid of these ads!

6v pos. to 6v neg.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bcometfx, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Hey guys just wondering if anybody knows what is involved in changing my model a to 6 volt negative ground. I am gonna pick up a alternator for it and can get it for pos or neg ground. I know the coil needs switched around. It's a mallory so that's easy. Just not sure about the key switch and ameter and if there is anything else that needs changed.

Thanks

2. scrubba

scrubba

The amp meter will neeed to be re connected as it wil read backwards if it isn't . The key switch shouldn't matter as it simply kills the circut to the battery . I think you'll do fine . scrubba

3. Why are you changing? If there is a good reason I would be interested in knowing what it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Charlie Stephens

4. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Thanks for the quick response. That's kinda what I figured. Easy as pie. Since I am getting an alternator and rewiring it that would just switch the neg ground

5. Beat me to it by one minute.

6. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Also everything else I have is neg ground. Almost hooked up the charger wrong. Did that when I was a kid to help grandpa get his tractor started. One of those stupid things you do as a kid that scares the hell out of you as an adult.

7. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Easy job....as said in #2... Happy Roddin'

4TTRUK

9. 49 Custom

49 Custom

I'm surprised (but pleased) no one asked about the starter motor! (They spin only one way no matter how they are connected).

10. Your putting a 6v alt. on your car? WHY?

11. Scrubba got it. As a rule most common electrical components used in a car are dumb they donot know what polarity the ground is just that it is a ground.

Now as a disclaimer if you own a modern computer controlled car you may want to make sure that the current is running in the proper direction for the sensors and other components. I may be wrong about that but it is worth looking into.

12. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Pretty much just wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything. Thanks for the help. As far as going with a alternator it cost almost as much for a gen rebuild as it does for a one wire alternator. As stated earlier I am rewiring the car anyway so why not? And I won't have to worry about a dead battery.

13. Fenders

Fenders

If you are switching to an alternator why not go whole hog and go 12 volts.
    Yes more changes (lamps, coil, etc) but then you will be electrically up to date.

14. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Some of us have a hard time comin up with the extra money for that stuff. If you would like to donate to the Adam needs to switch his A to 12 volt fund I will be glad to do so. You are talkin 200 bucks more to do so.

15. Well I don't know what you got to change that will run you 200 bucks but I will take your word for it. Sounds like you have alrready scoped it out.

I have a tendency to run alternatrs just because I do but it will not charge your battery up any better. I don't have anything against alternators though. If you have a lot of electrical components that draw a lot of amperage that is where you fall into a need for an alternator.

A 12V system in most cases will not be any better than a 6V system both systems being up to par. You do need to remember, and I am sure that you have already speced that out, that with 6V you need to run good heavy grounds and make sure that they are grounding. That is what kills most 6V cars is bad ground. Sounds like you are rewiring it so you should be alright.

Keep us posted on the swap and wire job. Please.
    Benno

16. Fenders

Fenders

I understand but there are plenty of small GM 12V alternators in the junkyards, buy one and put your savings toward the other changes...
    BTW if you are rewiring, a 12V system doesn't need as large size wiring as a 6V system (as Benno said about the grounds) so the wire should cost less (more volts, less amps, smaller wires).

17. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

If you figure what a new battery bulbs coil costs it adds up quick. The plus t a alternator is that I can run sealed beams or halogens no problem. I've never had good luck with gens.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. Thanks for the reason. I would leave it positive ground. I think you are creating a bigger problem because "everyone knows the Model A is positive ground". If you leave it somewhere to be worked on or if someone is helping you and you are not watching carefully your solution may backfire.

Charlie Stephens

19. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

Not really...another thing A people would look for (just like I did not being a Model A person when I first saw his car) is the positive "cable" is a ground strap going straight to the chassis, and the negative cable goes off to other things via wire. Ah, 6V positive ground...nifty. Keeping safety in mind, the first thing anyone should do when messing with electrical is disconnect the battery, it would be a sure thing to notice at that point.

Aside from that, knowing OP, I seriously doubt this car would go to any form of a shop for much work. :cool:

20. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Got the switch done. Easy as I thought. Thanks for all the positive comments. Took a whole hour and a half. That includes making an alt bracket and new battery cables.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad