Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Ultimate Route 66 Photo Journey Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love to have a Rattle Can store at the gate..Paint is 1 inch deep on these cars..

2. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

[​IMG]

Closeup view of the 10,000 coats of paint...About time to color sand and BUFF !!!

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A lot of disrespecting self-absorbed idiots certainly ruined that landmark...

R-

4. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

Had to be 200 empty can about and a empty garbage can....just saying !!!

5. Kurt's Car

Kurt's Car

BasicBob in Oatman, Arizona.

Bob shows a guy named "Jack" the Jive Five.

We ran into a lot of guys named Jack, but it was still a great trip.

[​IMG]

6. Fenders

Fenders

I think you have missed the point of Cadillac Ranch.....

7. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Part of this winery on Rt 66 in Cucamonga California is still there. Made a shopping center around it, of course. That little strip of asphalt in front is Foothill Blvd or Rt66. The wife and I drove from Barstow Ca. to Kingman Az. before heading north on the old Rt66. Ruff ride but will worth the experience...:D P.S. Sorry I don't know how to make it larger.

Attached Files:

8. Cool picture. I'm glad this thread is still going. I'm sure there is lots more out there to see. Post'em up!

9. jjsound

jjsound

One of my many stops between WI and AZ.

Attached Files:

10. jjsound

jjsound

I'll be making the trip again in February!

11. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

12. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I live just south of Springfield MO. and I am on some of old 66 almost weekly....its really sad but I dont even pay attention, I really take it for granted....I will try to get some pics next time I am on it. Jim

13. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Took 3 months in 2000 and rode my Harley the entire route from Chicago to the Santa Monica pier...what a trip. I'll have to go in the attic and dig up some photos...

14. Falcon Sprint....that first pic posted in post #46 is in Tuecumcare, New Mexico.
    Love your Sprint btw
    I live 1 1/2 blocks off old 66 in Amarillo, so I get to be on it everyday!
    opps...I somehow deleted the pic I was talking about when using the "quote" feature.

15. phat rat

phat rat

If you go north on the gravel road at that exit it'll take you to Canyon Diablo RR bridge. At that point the canyon is quite deep. there was a town there in the late 1800's. History shows it was quite a place. The first marshall was buried 5 hrs after being sworn in. The longest one lasted was a month

16. Willy_P

Willy_P

My wife and I drove route 66 from the Navy Pier in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in 3 segments from 2009 - 2011 due to health issues. Lots of good stories, and LOTS of pictures.

There are many neon signs on the route, but one of my favorite Route 66 lighted neon signs is in Gallup, New Mexico, above the entrance of the Chamber of Commerce building.

I spoke with Jerry McClanahan, the author of several route 66 touring books ("Here it is route 66" map series and the EZ66 guide book.), and he told me he designed the sign, entered it in a contest and won. The sign was built as a result. Jerry lives in Chandler OK, about half way between Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

The sign is easy to miss, and only does it justice at night, so timing is everything this one.

Here We are On Route 66, Gallup NM" Neon Sign
    http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1AA4_Here_We_are_On_Route_66_Gallup_NM_Neon_Sign

Attached Files:

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Great thread !

I'd really like to make the trip on the mother road in the next few years . We'll see how that goes ;) . Hopefully I can afford to buy all the gas it's gonna take in an old-ass car , lol !! Hell , it's around 750 miles till I even HIT rte.66 in Chi-town , that eats up a couple vaca days right there :( .

18. Willy_P

Willy_P

Post#4 mentions Erik OK.
    I recall a "windmill museum garden near there, about 1-2 miles east of town on the north side of the road.
    there were many antique windmill heads there, and just beyond the house area was a large field with a bunch of cars rusting away. Too bad they could not be harvested and restored to some level .

Erick, Oklahoma: Windmill Garden
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/30072

Attached Files:

19. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

20. This is on my things to do list. Thanks for sharing.

21. ktc31coupe

ktc31coupe
    from Colorado

My wife and I took a trip on a section of route 66 in New Mexico this fall. This is her with the coupe in Santa Rosa.

Attached Files:

22. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I live 10 minutes from the Cadillac Ranch, but I don't get to drive down Route 66 much. I'm seeing a lot of great stops in there (aside from the Caddies..) that I would love to make.

Great thread!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

But since this is a Route 66 thread.. I do have a picture of one of the Caddies from the Cadillac Ranch from long before spray paint was a thought. Only a few of my local friends have seen this. Should get 40StudeDude pumped up a little.

[​IMG]

24. Willy_P

Willy_P

TexasSpeed,
    About 40 - 45 miles due east of you in Groom TX is the site of the largest Cross in the northern hemisphere ( there may be one larger by now though), and the leaning water tower.

Largest Cross in the Western Hemisphere
    http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1AD9_Largest_Cross_in_the_Western_Hemisphere

And in the opposite direction about 50 miles is the Midpoint Cafe in Adrian, noted for its great-tasting "ugly Crust" pies
    ( eat your heart out PovertyFlats) .

The former owner, Flo, retired right after we stopped there in May 2011.
    She was used as inspiration for the character Flo in the Pixar movie, Cars.

I had trouble posting photos - sill post later if I can fix them.

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I see the cross all the time.. I head to OKC quite a bit but have only gone east of OKC two or three times. I rarely head into New Mexico as well.. :eek:

That'll get fixed when I start driving my A everywhere. :D

26. phat rat

phat rat

A few more spots along R66

Attached Files:

27. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

there used to be a zoo there at one time. some of the cages are still there. neat place to wander around in.

28. moTthediesel

moTthediesel

This is a shot of the restored "Cool Creek" gas station, on old 66, just east of the Sitgreaves Pass in western AZ. Sorry about the marginally off-topic car -- it is a hot rod of sorts though, as it is now powered with a turbo-charged VW 1.6L engine.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. phat rat

phat rat

It's Cool Springs, you can see the name in my shot in #86. I'll bet that car was fun driving in the hills. Have you ever done 89 from Jerome to Prescott in it?

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

OK Fenders, please explain the point of it to me, wouldja please...??? No better yet, let me explain it to you and then you can add YOUR EXPLANATION. Here's the real reason it was done:

"It was created in 1974 by Chip Lord, Hudson Marquez and Doug Michels, who were a part of the art group Ant Farm, and it consists of what were (when originally installed during 1974) either older running used or junk Cadillac automobiles, representing a number of evolutions of the car line (most notably the birth and death of the defining feature of mid twentieth century Cadillacs; the tailfins) from 1949 to 1963, half-buried nose-first in the ground, at an angle corresponding to that of the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt."

Now then, WHY does "disrespecting self absorbed idiots" (my words) think they have the right to ruin a good piece of art by spray painting their names all over it...???

Thanx for the "virgin" pic of the Caddys...but if by "pumped up" you mean concerned, then yes, it gets me pumped up...no one should be able to ruin another's piece of art...all too often we hear about thieves stealing priceless artwork out of US Parks and sites for their own gain (same with those Cadillacs...lots of stuff was stolen off those cars)...ruining a great piece of art...disrespecting self absorbed idiots...and that's what you'd call them if they spray painted your car (your piece of art) or stole something off of it, right...???

R-