Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happened to all the dragster builds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragsled, Dec 19, 2012.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I guess i should ask if , your asking if I think it will pass tech , Yes I think it will at most tracks ,but for certing for any high speed deals NO, the fram rails are the killer there ,aside from the roll cage stuff the frame rails need to be one contiueing piece wrapping around the driver so to speak,uppers and lowers, if that makes sense,, Like I've said before I'm no chassis builder, Tim Jones

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

We are currently making a new guideline/rules for vintage dragracing over here. The idea is to alowe old style cassis to run.
    If all old chassis where to meet the SFI specs 100%, they would ither have to be scraped, or modified beond what they should look like.
    We have already gotten thums up to run with old masks/open helmets,
    magnesium rims, no supercharger bags, open headers in all classes and
    pop-off, not have to use burst-panels.
    Vintage racing is not by far as big as in the US, but we have some old cars from the 60's, 70's that we intend to run without doing too much changes on them.
    Most guys run just to have fun, and we will keep it that way:)
    Most guys and gals run between 7,9 sec to 9,5 sec. on Alcohol.
    The fastest sat a new record for a FED in europe;
    392 hemi, blown on alky, all vintage parts, 6,65 sec in the 1/4 mile:D!

If you want, i could translate when it's done and post here!?

Taidragger&fenderless

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Yeah Kjell, Translate and post your rules, there still a few nonsancationed tracks around that might beable use some of the rules , BTW I know you have a build thread but post some pics of your car anyway, Tim Jones

4. Having learned a lot of what I know from some seriously grumpy guys, I'd just encourage you not to let how people put things affect how you value what they are saying.

Dre bashed me pretty good for using mild steel on the Wyo-digger, and I fully understand his point. We got over it, and he is still giving me good advice and feedback.

So let's see some more pics already!

5. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Here is the Sidewinder;) This year has been a trial year for the "new" Sidewinder, espesially the new Flathead. We have sorted out a great deal, so this winter we are going to make a new intake manifold and tune the injection. We really hope to see it in the 9's!!:) We did 12.43 sek in the 1/4, but shut off before the 1/8 mile:D!?

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  6. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

Just got Lou Ann (the dragsters name) out of the trailer Sunday. Getting ready for new torque converter, different headers and a data logger. Best time in 2012 was 7.67 at 171.4 in Tulsa in Sept. Our first race in 2013 is March 30th in Evadale TX.
    [​IMG]

7. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

Sorry for the giant picture.

8. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Can you give us some engine specs:)?
    7,67 sec in the 1/4 mile is fast:)

Taildragger&fenderless

9. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

Sure, I run with the Southwest Jr. Fuel Association. rules are posted on our website, www.swjfa.com. I run a 406 small block, Dart block and heads, Crower crank, GRP rods JE pistons 15.5 to 1 compression, Isky roller cam around .700 lift, heads are ported but we have to run a cast iron 23 degree head, Hilborn fuel injection, we run metanol, powerglide, 4:30 gears we are limited to a 12" wide slick and have to carry 3.65 pounds per cubic inch. My car is an old Top Fuel car from the mid-sixties and was buildt by Jim Davis. 7.60s is fast but I am competing againt cars that consitantly run in the 7.20s!

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

1968FED Very nice looking car, Big pics ,little pics All are welcome, Thanks for posting, Kejll the first shot of your car is Great I don't remember seeing it before,, Alright I know there more dragster guys and Gals out there, Lets see some more posts, Thanks Tim Jones BTW Altereds and Funny cars are wellcome too!!

11. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

Thanks, Tim I like your FED also!

12. t's been a great Christmas but sitting here in a warm house with it
    COLD and blowing outside, I'm dreaming of getting back to the track.
    The attached photo is from the HAMB drags at the end of August. I was
    having issues tossing the blower belt during the burnout. I had sorted
    out my game plan on finally getting down the track all the way under
    power but never got the chance due to the stupid blower belt. Life
    got crazy and i never got back to the track after the blower belt
    issue was resolved. Heavy sigh. I'm ready to finally make a full
    pass!

[​IMG]

13. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Kerry, you would not have had the problem with V-belts;)!
    Just kidding:)! Hope you found the solution. I was on the stands filming you, and have hoped that you got a full pass, but better luck next time:)!
    As you, I have had some issues this year, but we will come back stronger next year:D!

Taildragger&fenderless

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Oh boo-hoo

I dont have the time or energy to be a cheerleader, When basic/fundamental building principles are completely overlooked, I will put in my opinion, and not just for you ,but for others who will make the same mistakes thinking your way is OK to do.

15. My "build" was done a couple of years ago but it's never finished. I've been drivin' the hell out of it but broke it at Irwindale so more work to come. It's all fun though. :D Here's a pic, looks pretty good but that's as far as I got. :rolleyes: BTW, mine is certified to 7.50 although the inspector said it could've been 6.50 if I had asked for that. I'll be hard pressed to hit 7.50. lol

[​IMG]

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

HA HA , There you go Bruce trying to everybodys pal:D, I was wondering when you were gonna make a comment, But that being said ,on another board were both on ,You were telling about an Alum fill rod ,Certanium 65 the site that has it is in the UK can it be bought in the USA , Also do you preheat your blocks and heads before repairing, our welder at work was wanting to know, I have a block and some heads he was doing some work on whats left will need to be machined so I want to go with the rod you mentioned Thanks , Tim Jones

17. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Tim, I have thougt alot on the subject, aluminum filled blocks.
    But to preheat the block in order not to warp seems hard to me.
    What about making an epoxy resin with aluminum powder mix?
    I would not be as good heattransfer as solid aluminum, but much more easy to work with!?

Taildragger&fenderless

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Sorry Kejll I was talking about a KB alum block and heads for a funny car I have , Not the flathead:) Tim Jones

19. well Tim ya know we're still at it..........
    [​IMG]

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I went back to look at the welding rod and it is labled "67" and not "65" so I need to find out what the deal is.

Sometimes the blocks get pre-heated and somtimes not . Usually its just to take the chill off. The machine at Donovans is an old P&H and the preheat/argon-helium mix does help. At my shop I have a new Miller dynasty and can do a lot without the pre-heat and mix

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hi Carl, I wondered if you spotted this Thread, I was sitting around thinking to myself what happened to all the dragster builds that I saw when I joined the HAMB so I posted this, I like to see what other ideas people come up with when building these cars, Good to see Tim and Kerry joined in also, Tim Jones

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Our welders have a Dynasty also ,They like it better than there bigger welder, When he patched the windows in the side of my block he heated the area with a rosebud before starting as you said just to get some heat to it Thanks for the info I'll check back Tim Jones

23. das858

das858

We're still building ours, just got a front axle Monday.

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hey your even close to me, I work at the Zoo in Omaha, Post some pics Thanks Tim Jones

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Tim, the rod comes in 5# sleeves @ $50 lb (3/32)

26. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Never truly finished mine, but hey it's close enough to have fun with!!!

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

They all switched to “vintage” econoline vans :rolleyes:

28. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Bruce , That's a hell of alot cheaper than buying a new block:D Tim jones

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Post some pics of your car,,,,, Hell, I just got mine were I can sit in it and start it That's alot of fun just doing that, Tim Jones

30. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

NOOOOOO!!! Say it aint so:eek:, BTW I was looking at your web page on axles, Great info on the different years Thanks Tim Jones