Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Chevy value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Dec 25, 2012.

1. scotts52

scotts52

What is this thing worth. Listed for sale but with no price. Just wondering before I strike up a conversation, deal with the guy. Also, is the wood available? I'm not real confortable trying to do steel tubing yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. not much! you better have some "SERIOUS" wood skills when you take on a early GM project

3. 29moonshine

29moonshine

wood kit will be 3000-6000 depending on what you get

4. teejay99

teejay99

Wow , what a mess . I wouldn't touch it . If you buy it I hope you have a lot of skill and patience . Good Luck !

5. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

6. mink

mink
    from CT

I payed 800 for just the body, no chassis.

7. scotts52

scotts52

Well, what would a price of $300 do? Worth it then?

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

$300 is "free" because it's probably worth that in scrap weight.

As mentioned, it is a ton of labor to square that up and back fill the shell with wood or tubing. For example, just think how tedious it is to set door gaps on a solid, all metal car; then look at how much work would be involved in getting all four of those doors to swing square in their pockets.

Can you do the work yourself?
    How's the frame?
    Any title?

9. scotts52

scotts52

Don't know how square the frame is but it does look ok. It doesn't have a title. I don't know if I'd do the work myself or not. Most likely. I'm not afraid of work. I have many other projects and I don't need this but I hate to see it sit there unloved. I end up trying to save too many. I have around 20 projects. I just can't seem to pass up cheap projects. If possible, It'd be nice to find the back half of a coupe or roadster and blend the 2 together. So this would be one of the projects that may or may not ever get done but I'd feel good knowing that I saved something. Don't know how well my wife would feel about it though. In reality, I'd probably get a wood kit for it, then if ever, I'd go about adding steel once the wood was in to square up the body. Or, I may just leave it with the wood and build it anyway.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ack! Too much wood!

11. I,m pretty good with woodworking but at my age of 59 i would,nt have a go at this one. That said it has to be interesting for someone at $300.

12. Are all the metal brackets that attach the wood structure there? If not, they are not part of the available wood kits and can make the project very difficult.

13. If you couldn't part it out for more than $300 there's something wrong. It has a lot of parts left that aren't reproduced, even if they're not perfect.

So yes, it's worth that. Is it worth saving as a project? Who knows, as mentioned the wood is a big issue. Steel would be a lot cheaper and a lot easier to work with.

14. And if you can get it.

I cannot give you a value for it. About any project is worth a grand to fifteen hundred dollars any more. That one looks like work but they all are in the end.

One other thing, do not be afraid to work in metal. there are lots of threads showing how someone did tubing on their car and if you get lost you can ask and one of us will walk you through it. It is not that big a deal.

15. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

yard art.

Yeagley likes this.
  16. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

I wouldn't pay much for it maybe $800 at the Very most cause I doubt that very many guys would tackle that project so you should be able to get it cheap . If you have good carpentry skills and the equipment you can do it . If it were closer I'd bring it home . If you get it cheap enough part it out and make some money for another project .

17. Too many doors, too much wood, too much work, not too desirable, not too much money at $300. I'd pass, too much trouble.

18. Fenders

Fenders

For $300 I would buy it and part it out, it makes you money and helps others restoring or rodding one.

19. 343w

343w

I redid a 31 Chevy tudor back in the 70's with wood and steel tubing, it's a heap of work to say the least. I can't imagine the trouble of 4 doors, as mentioned! Sounds like you already have plenty of other projects to keep you busy. As the others have said, you could part it out and use the cash for all your other activities......

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The problem with pre 37 Chevies is the wood. A friend had a 34 Chevy 4 door, He and his master woodworker father in- law replaced all the wood. Car was good and solid for about 2 years, then it started to squeak and rattle. 4 doors are not as desirable as other body styles.

Ago

21. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

How much is Cord Wood

22. Ghost28

Ghost28

If there is a title for it and all the parts are there including the grille, hood, headlights, and headlight bar. I would value it in todays slow market at 700.00 to 1,000.00, if there is no title and there are large parts missing. 400.00 to 700.00. The wood replacement to steel for this car is not simple, but it's not brain surgery either. I like to build sedan deliverys out of them, and a 4 door is a perfect candidate for this because of the smaller front doors. It does look a little rough, but aren't they all anymore.

23. mink

mink
    from CT

From those picture that i have to work with, it looks like a good amount of the wood is still there. Please pass the project on to someone else if your plan is to make a quick buck from parting it. My project was just a body in like wise condition as this one and it didn't take much $$ to build it up to driving status.