Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping your top question..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonechip67, Dec 24, 2012.

1. bonechip67

bonechip67

I chopped the top on my sedan, and was just wondering what everybody did who chopped theirs with the windshield pillars. Pics would be nice too :) Thanks

2. Drivinford

Drivinford

Check out my 29 ford build. I think i put pics on how i did it. If not let me know and il post some.

3. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I don't have pic but I chopped 4 1/2" out. I cut on both sides of the top hinge. So now I only have the two hinges on the door. Hopefully the top of the door won't flop in the wind. ? :)

4. bonechip67

bonechip67

Drivin, didnt see but one side shot in your album.. maybe you could PM or post some please??

Tudor, I have thought about that as well, still maybe an option :)

5. adam401

adam401

I like to make the cut below the upper hinge leaving enough room to be able to clean up the weld and move the windshield pivot if neccessary. I don't think theres anything wrong with removing the top hinge it's just a visual preference really as the 2 lower hinges are certainly up to the challenge of supporting the doors weight (just a little less adjustability).

Also the 2 garnish moldings on the pillars would neet to be modified to suit the relocated pivot. Finishing touches seperate the men from the boys. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

6. bonechip67

bonechip67

Yes, I cut 5" below the top hinge, I was wondering what some have done with the top being wider that the bottom now. I understand pie cutting the bottom but would you have to narrow the center of the top to bring it in as well??

7. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done both kinds of chops (removing and not removing the top hinge) on the chops I have done. I used to think it was "cheating" but removing the top hinge is significantly less work and I have not had any issues in the past, especially when chopping in excess of 4".