Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Mooneyes Christmas Show- Hoffmans Comet flew straight and true. It was a weird day for racing though if anyone was there, they know what I mean..

2. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

Thread brings back a lot of memories :cool:

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;when does the "ROCKET" return from Japan? Anybody heard from Mercuryjunky? ROY.

4. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Not sure. According to D. Franklin, its at the bottom of the Pacific, 'cause the U.S. Navy saw a container floating that fell off a ship ,and they shot if full of 50.cal.

Can't wait for it to get back, though.

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Good luck Dale.
    Lets keep that jewel "overseas" as they say!

6. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

A Moyer '65? I don't remember seeing it posted here. Or is it the one I posted inside of the airplane hanger that's been restored????Does anyone recall?

[​IMG]

7. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;I knew I had seen it before! Here are a couple of shots,#100-pg5,#104-pg6,#s521-525-pg27.The photos are black and white,looks like it was a white car. ROY.

9. This one (with 64 and 65) really shows what drag racing was like back then.
    [​IMG]

10. Judd

Judd

Been a race car since the 60's Chad and his dad run Battlefield Raceway just outside Meridian, MS.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Judd;that 64 is very clean,good looking car!!! Is it still a 289?Do you have any info on it? ROY.

12. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

An excellent summation for sure but I disagree with two points. Beswicks car was originally a SOHC motored car. I also believe that the Moyer car was not a backup but in fact the seventh car of a seven car construction run with all of the seven having consecutive serial numbers. Why some of you folks in the know don't publish the facts on these car when you've known them for years will forever baffle me. Here's some details to consider:

Car #1: Nicholson- SOHC motor- S/N#5J27A506990 Currently owned by Kayo Irwin.
    Car #2: Proffitt- SOHC motor- S/N#5J27A506991 Current owner unkown
    Car #3: Beswick- SOHC motor- S/N#5J27A506992 Current owner Dave Kunz
    Car #4: Delorean- SOHC motor- S/N#5J27A506993 Possibly in Canada
    Car #5: Rachanski- Wedge motor- S/N#5J27A506994 Current owner unkown
    Car #6: Shartman- Wedge motor- S/N#5J27A506995 Current owner Brent Hajek
    Car #7: Moyer LM then directly to McCormack/Bill Lagana- Wedge motor- S/N#5J27A506996 Current owner Rick Kirk

If you guys want to buckle down and cooperate we can track down the cars with unkown whereabouts. I have some of the interim owners of the unkowns but not where they are today. I'd like to complete the ownership chains of each car plus pics of each variation of individual cars.

Happy hunting,
    Len

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

What is the concensus feeling with regards to running a meachanical fuel pump, and adding an additional electric unit. Can you safely have both, or just ditch the mechanical unit??? Opinions??

14. the fletch

the fletch

dan weis ,anyone know where this one went ,or is now.

Attached Files:

15. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Ken,

That's Bart Colson's place in Washington. He also owns an original thunderbolt. The Courtesy Ford-McGroan car from Texas. Don't know the specifics on the comet.

Len

16. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

I will update you all if I find out additional information.

Len

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  17. Ronnie Sox, Buddy Martin & Jake King out of Burlington, NC and their wicked fast Brinsfield Lincoln-Mercury '64 Mercury lightweight Comet 427CI. powered A/FX cars. Ronnie "The Boss" drove the Comet to the Factory Stock Eliminator title at the '64 NHRA Winternationals. It was the first A/FX car in the 10s that year! We miss you, Ronnie!

Attached Files:

18. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The Ronne Sox 1964 AFX Comet was built by Stropp in Ca. Which was the first 2 door coupe built. Where DST built there first one being a 4 door Comet AFX station wagon for Dyno Don. So DST got the contract to build 20 more AFX Comet of which Dyno Don got the first one of that group. Now that makes a total of " 22 AFX 427 ci 1964 Conet built " One thing to note! Dyno Don & Ronne Sox Comet Coupes had Fiberglas doors just like the 2 AFX Falcons that DST built for Charlie Gray head of Ford Racing. Remember Mercury and Ford were 2 Differant Drag race teams. "AFX DAVE"

19. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

Happy holidays to every one:)

20. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Hey Len,I have documentation showing that one 1964 Cyclone went to Stroppes shop before Pflueger Lincoln Mercury took delivery.It was 1 of 10 that Pflueger special ordered with the Hi-Po package,of which 5 were Cyclones and 5 were Calientes.I have pictures of it taken through the years and it's different stages.

21. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

This showed up in the drag cars in motion thread....JOHN

Attached Files:

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

thks john, i was just about to repost it here. ;)

[​IMG]

23. Code AFT 20% off Dearborn classics today! Restore those Mercurys!!

24. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Not on the dragstrip,but I thought it's kinda cool looking!

[​IMG]

25. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Wasn't this Beswicks former car? Went to the Orbiter and then this?

Len

26. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Len;
    Yes your correct! This was taken when Jim Melsten came down from Canada on a tour in the United States to Differant Drag Strips. That when they were running a 427ci Fuel Injected Med Riser. That's when it turned a 9.56 with 10% Pop (nitro). Remember this car has been lighten up quite a bit.
    AFX DAVE

27. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Spreading the holiday cheer with fellow A/FX racer and Comet Cyclone pilot Todd Hoffman at San Diego's High Dive Bar. Dangerous place, as its walking /stumbling distance from daughters university.

[​IMG]

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale and Super Todd;we need some pictures of your BADD ASSED Comets in action!!!! ROY.