Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas peddle 51 Chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotoman53, Dec 23, 2012.

1. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

I have a 1951 Chevy truck I have the one spring on it but it still won't spring back up to be able to press the pedal. Has anyone else had this issue or know how I can fix it?

2. fnla39

fnla39

Try a stronger spring. Or even 2

3. Are you talking about the throttle return spring?

4. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

My peddle just wont pop up and I only see the one spring

5. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Agree w/heavier spring, look for binding at the firewall and pivot points while another actuates the pedal. I have full range of motion, a good 30 degrees before I floor it, comes back nicely, then again I have 5 total springs, 2 on each carb, 2x2 bbls, and one on the vertical rod.

You'll figure it out.

Regards,

Cosmo49

6. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

There isn't a spring under or near the pedal, its all done at the carb linkage. You may have to add a spring as yours may have gotten weak over the years. Pull the spring off and look at the pivots between the throttle rod , linkage and the pivot comming off the manifold. Check it for binding. When you have everything bent around so it works smooth, install the springs and manually check it to make sure when the spring(s) installed that it doesn't cock it to one side causing the system to bind up. Once you have it freely moving, adjust the spring tension by installing different springs or pulling one tight to another mount area.

7. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

Thanks for all the help will be trying to fix this issue. Merry Christmas and a safe happy new year.

8. Does the carb snap back to idle with the linkage disconnected? Beware of just putting massive springs on the carb linkage arm. You may end up with a twisted throttle shaft. See if you can mount a second spring under the dash to just pull the pedal back.

9. sumner41

sumner41

kind of off topic. but I remember cars in the 40'50's had started button under gas pedal. And I am reminded that everything old is new again as new cars now have starter button on dash. As opposed to steering columm key swith.

10. this is common, do yourself a favor and remove all the linkage, especially the bolt going into the block that holds the bell crank. sandblast or wire wheel everything, paint, lube and reassemble. sticking gas pedals are a bad thing.

11. studebaker46

studebaker46

if you are talking about a 6cyl either 216 or 235 the pivot is all on the intake manifold the s linkage all works from there maby someone can post a picture of it if it is not hooked just right you will have no pedal at all tom

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I had this problem on a Corvair that I bought. The linkage was rusted where it went through the floor. I had to tie a string around the pedal to pull up on it to get it home. Then I sanded the rust away,oiled it up and got it to work as intended. You should not need to get a stronger spring that the factory used. Some penetrating oil and lots of forced movement will probably free it up.