Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51' Fargo Dodge on Dakota frame(boxing crossmember frame help)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terrag, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrag

terrag

Just an update on progress...got absolutly nothing done this week.

2. Thats what I am doing with mine too

3. hahahahaahahaha, good job!!!

4. Apittslife

Apittslife

Your not alone in this type of progress! :p

Fortuniately, I am still on schedule & have allowed for down tyme.

5. Doctor Injector

Doctor Injector

Great job, I really like what your doing, I just missed out on a 94 Dakota to stick under my 41 Dodge Truck. Oh well the search goes on.

6. terrag

terrag

Thanks.. I really like the idea of modern drive train and parts for the drivablity factor and availability of parts.. good choice

7. terrag

terrag

Hey guys...tomorrow is a new day, and progress will commence. haha...

Merry Christmas to all.... I got a few goodies for the fargo. Lokar shifter, Taillights and a spoon style gas pedal. the pedal has yet to arrive but i'm pretty stoked.

Attached Files:

8. jake56

jake56

I love the truck and what you are doing. I am just getting started with my 56 dodge truck and look's like I will be putting a dakota frame under it. I will keep watching your progress.

9. terrag

terrag

Thanks for the feedback... Its a great swap. modern drivetrain, realiable, smooth, great handling, parts are easy to find. so on...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  10. terrag

terrag

I finally got my wheel hub in the mail today so i started hacking together a column. Found some 1 3/8 bearings, 1 1/2 exhaust tubing and the original steering shaft 3/4. its on the cheap for sure as funds are tight. someday i'll buy a nicer one. just wondering what you guys think. Does it look alittle goofy? sitting in the cab it feels great. I had to notch the dash unfortunatly. I needed the bottom of the column to be above the tow board to have decent steering shaft alignment. maybe alittle higher notched into the dash. the wheel is a junker 13". I will be swaping out for a 15" in the near future.

Attached Files:

11. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Brilliant! Excellent idea...Looks great too.

12. terrag

terrag

thanks...haha, but not my idea. found a few threads on here about cheap columns.

13. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I must be missing something, I have a 37 Dodge truck, and I would not have the tailgate any other way, but saying dodge on it. Are they not supposed to say dodge in 51' or is it something to do with the fargo part. Like your build. The funny part is you don't know what you can do until you don't have the money to pay someone to do it for you.

14. terrag

terrag

yes, the proper tailgate should say fargo mcmopar.(say that 10 times fast) I mulled around the hamb for awhile trying to figure out what I can make and what i needed to buy. I like the homebuilt column.

15. terrag

terrag

wow... awesome site. Thanks. pretty good prices.

16. terrag

terrag

working here are there on the truck.. finished up the column and mounted the gas pedal. mounting the booster and pedal assembly from the dakota this evening. pics to come.

I also shortened the driveshaft but have yet to weld it up. I need new U joints and I'm searching for a job. hopefully find one soon. I really want to head west. I have a few resumes out to hopefully the right people. a 2wk on 2wk off with flights would be ideal.

17. terrag

terrag

I got a couple days to work on the truck. I cut out the fargos firewall and welded in a flat peice of sheet to accept the dakota booster and MC. Bolted up the pedal bracket and made a new pedal. The dakota pedal was too far to the left and ugly. First, I made a cardboard temp, Second out of sheet metal and finally cut it out of 3/8 plate and bent it with a torch. Welded the fargos pad onto the new arm and there you have it. I think it turned out pretty good. Still alilttle rough but it will get a going over when I get to it.

also.. the booster had an 1.5" of throw so I made sure I had that on the new pedal before it hits the floor. Its in a great position for me...feels great.

Attached Files:

18. terrag

terrag

Got the GO pedal hooked up. Used the dakota cable. Cut the end off the dakota pedal and welded on alittle tab to bolt to the so cal pedal.

finding a square drill bit was impossible, so I drilled a 1/2" hole with a circular bit and used a file....;)

The column was pretty simple after seeing a few on the hamb. 1.5" exhaust tubing, 2 x 3/4" hand cart wheel bearings, a 3/4" steering shaft with a weld on QR hub. I made a flange for the bottom and welded on a couple tabs up top for the dash.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  19. terrag

terrag

Made this little clamp to weld the new bed floor frame to the box sides. Worked great.

Attached Files:

20. sololobo

sololobo

Very nice work, I really like this body style. Dig it bro ~sololobo~

21. terrag

terrag

thanks man, I can't wait to take it for a cruise.

22. Looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing it driving around NS. Do you have any pics of where you mounted the MC?

23. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

i like what your doing. looking forward to more

24. Subscribed! I will be following with great interest, I have been contemplating doing something similar soon, when I retire. :). Where are you in C.B.? I am east of you on the Rock. Good Luck with it.

25. terrag

terrag

thanks neighbor... i'm in sydney, close to the marine terminal. what are you working on?

26. terrag

terrag

I picked up a gas tank this evening. Its from a 90's jeep commanche. The guy ordered the wrong one and got stuck with it.. 50.00. Hes also got another tank I can pull the sending unit and junk from.

My plan is to mount it between the frame rails but its an 1.5" too wide. do you think I would greatly reduce the strength of the frame to trim the lower rail an inch on each side to make it fit. I don t think I'll have to trim the top side.

Attached Files:

27. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If you bend the seam on the tank some can you fit it inside the rails? Or did I not understand what you were thinking of? Could you build a tank hanging frame out of bed rail metal from the thrift store and hang the tank that way? Basically I'd try to leave your main frame alone.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. terrag

terrag

I'll elaborate, I was not including the flange in my measurments. the flange would end up sitting flat/flush on the bottom side of the frame rail. use bolts through the flange into the frame or make an original style crossmemeber and use straps.

29. I have a 56 Ford Fairlane, that I bought in Cape Breton about three years ago and also have a VW Bug. You can check out some pics at Atlantic HAMBERS Social group.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.