Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pic request rustoleum red oxide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrod46, Dec 23, 2012.

1. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

IM looking for pics of cars or trucks painted with Rustoleum red oxide primer, Im not looking for an education on paint vs. primer or longjevity.I did a search but didnt find anything like what Im looking for so post em if you got em thanks fellas.

2. my avitar is orchard brand red oxide rattle can.pics in my album of it

3. indyjps

indyjps

Don't have a pic of red oxide rustoleum, pretty much look at any steel beam at a construction site for the color. It's cheap enough to shoot a sample, are you planning to run a car in this paint? What's the car?

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  4. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I found a primer color I liked PPG DP40 gray/green. Saw it at a show in Burlington Vt. Built my roadster and was decided I was going to use that as the color . After seeing the same car for 3 years in a row on the 3rd year it chaulked out big time. Solution was I converted it to PPG Concept single stage. Had the color with no chaulking. Also I think you car flat clear primer also? Hope this helps you

Attached Files:

5. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Lasted pretty well and didn't fade....

Attached Files:

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Did you mix that Rustoleum with anything to promote drying harder ? I have used it in the past on non automotive things and it seems to stay somewhat soft.

Don

7. kennkat

kennkat

Well... here is "paint vs prime" Rustoleum Primer on the freshly louvered hood :D:D:D

Attached Files:

8. Rustoleum rusty metal primer, my favorite ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. slamdpup

slamdpup

heres my 39 chevy

Attached Files:

• 39.jpg
      39.jpg
      File size:
      208.9 KB
      Views:
  10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

not the final color.

Attached Files:

11. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Heres a couple of my old roadster, it held up pretty well.

Attached Files:

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It's not Rustoleum but it is red oxide primer. I forget the brand but it is available in rattle can which I used and it is water proof. I think it's a German product. I did not want rust under the paint. It's been on there for many years now with no chalking or surface rust. All the paint sellers tried to talk me out of it but after insisting, they special ordered this for me.

[​IMG]

It's been known to get wet. first week end run.:D Ocean City Md. probably 10 years ago.

13. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was red primer, changed to satin black.

Attached Files:

14. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Anybody know what that german red oxide primer is?

15. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a couple.

Attached Files:

16. raymay

raymay

Not Rustoleum brand but a red oxide primer that was on one of my trucks. Easy to maintain but well worn over many years. I have used the Rustoleum red oxide on other parts of this and other vehicles. Works great and provides protection on inside floor pans and welded areas.

Attached Files:

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't want to be the guy that turns this thread into something else, but a quick question is in order. How about top coating over this stuff in a few years with a regular automotive primer and paint? I've been told it would have to be stripped completely. Any truth in that?

18. How do you guys think I got my user name,,hung on me years ago with my Rustoleum red oxide 30 Model A. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

I'm only a guy painting stuff at home, so no pro at this but I have painted over red oxide many times without any issue. If prepped right it keeps rust away, never had an issue with that, even here where its damn and horrible!! My Christmas present to myself is some mint Ford Anglia(Pop)doors and a grill and once clean they'll go into red oxide whilst being stored or worked on. Always liked the look as well if i'm honest, cheap too :cool:

20. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

"How about top coating over this stuff in a few years with a regular automotive primer and paint? I've been told it would have to be stripped completely. Any truth in that?"
    I would be interested in knowing this as well. I always have liked Diztlers PPG Kondar primer. It will fade in time and is a little more brown then red compared to Rustoleum red oxide primer and have top coated over it with no issues. ( nitrocellulose and arcrylic lacquers, single stage enamels and basecoat clear coat urethanes.) Last gallon of Kondar I bought was about $130 bucks. How much is it for a gallon of Rustoleum?
    For pics my 28 A V/8 is somewhere on here in primer and later with flattened black nitro lacquer.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks gasoline scream. Love your avatar by the way! But, I'm talking specifically about the Rustoleum brand red oxide primer. I have been told that it's an alkalyde base or some such deal that won't correctly bond with an epoxy, urethane, or laquer type paint. any truth to this? Anybody actually painted over this stuff?

22. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Not rustoleum, but this truck was painted with a 2 part satin red oxide paint distributed by Keystone Automotive. Pretty cheap and seals the metal.

[​IMG]

23. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I am currently working on a 36 pickup. I just finished painting the cab with Rustoleum primer mixed with Rustoleum flat brown. Just a bit darker than the brown primer.

Attached Files:

jamiee likes this.
  24. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Lookin great guys excellent thread, keep em coming!

25. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I came across this one online .

[​IMG]

26. [​IMG]

this second picture the stuff on the fenders is dry for sure, maybe still wet in the top photo

[​IMG]

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Looks great. Did you have to prime first or does it do it all ?

Don

28. 30panel

30panel

Just freshly painted, last time was in 62 at Lion's out in the back sand blast pit, red oxide primer it did fade some over time so it was time to spruce it up.
    Well the color I made up as I remembered, but that was a long time ago its a little dark but another 40 od years and I'm sure it will mellow out. I like it!

[​IMG] truckdecemberroadtest6.jpg

Attached Files:

29. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

There's no way in hell I'd warrant a paint job shot over a primered surface that had been shot some time ago;) Primer, anyones' brand of primer ,is like a sponge that soaks up what ever comes in contact with it-water, oil, grease, wax , silcone:( Except for the water/rust, most of these paint contaminants can be removed from primer with several grease and wax removal solvents and lots of rags, sometimes not:mad:
    The bigger problem with a product like Rustoleum is that it's alkyd resin based. Alkyd resins were great in their day, but better chemistry has supplanted their use in the paint trade today. The resins in a primer or paint are what hold the paint together and onto the job. Polyester, epoxy and full urethane resins are all better at their jobs than ol' alkyd is/was;) The Rustoleum of the past was formulated with fish oil, but I don't think that's true any longer. The early product sometimes never dried beheith the surface, which wasn't a bad thing providing you didn't try painting over it or subject it to heavy traffic use:eek:

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

30. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech