Register now to get rid of these ads!

What states allow YOM plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prewarcars4me, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Old_Crow

Old_Crow
    from Arkansas

Arkansas just told me to email them a pic of the plate. The guy said he would then run the plate to make sure it's not registered to someone else, then forward the pic to the State Police so that they can approve that the plate is in good shape and visible, and then they'll email or call me back with the amount of the fee and what I have to do.

AR only requires one plate, on the rear. I've been running antique vehicle tags on my '61 F100 for several years.
    About a year and a half ago I found a '61 truck tag in great shape at a flea market. Just bolted it to the front bumper and no one's said a thing. I left the antique tag on the back, where it belongs.

Not sure I'm going to go to the trouble though. The antique tag was a $7 one time deal, sounds like the YOM tag will have to renew every year like a standard or vanity tag.

2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

alabama will let you run yom plates ,BUT alot of the local law enforcement occifers don't know about it. friend got pulled over on power tour ,cop was gonna make him take it off rite there on side of road. my buddy told him no,not till you radio in and ask if its against the law. cop was a little red faced. let him go. ROLL TIDE

3. sololobo

sololobo

Thank god Nebraska is in for that, and only one plate required! ~sololobo~

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Kentucky has it right. No charge, one plate only, but you must have the plate in the car that it is registered with. No limits on milage. It can't possibly easier. When it ends in KY its got to be good.

5. Florida - YES, as long as they are not restored, painted or altered (lesson learned)
    The plate has to sent to Tallahassee to be checked and registered. about
    $40.00

6. carmuts

carmuts

YOM plates allowed in Nebraska after a validation proccess and some fees. Rod

7. Speed~On

Speed~On

Minnesots allows YOM plates. They only require 1 which is to be installed on the rear of the car. You have to register the plate with the state. As long as no one is using that number/letter combination, it will be registered to you.

Wisconsin does not allow YOM plates.

8. El Gordo

El Gordo

Here in Alberta ( ya ya not a State ) You can have classic registration for about a $55 one time then get your YOM plate number as alternate plate on the registration for $9 ( free if you do it all at once). Must show both YOM plates at time of registration to prove you own both but after that you do not have to run both. Also must have original classic plate in trunk.
    Local friend got pulled over for his YOM plate and the cop didn't care that the
    1927 YOM plate's number was on the street rod's registration nor that Buddy was a Pastor, but when radioed in his boss knew better :D

9. Allowed in South Carolina if it meets requirements,,there are some prefix letters that cannot be used,,

I have a YOM on my '32 sedan. HRP

[​IMG]

10. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Maryland allows YOM plates. You are required to run both on the car with the exception of a few years after the war when only one plate was issued, and then you must have the correct YOM date tag.

11. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Here is NC law HB-704

HB 704
    Use Of Year Of Manufacture Tag
    HB 704 was passed into law May 24, 1985 and amended G.S. 20-63(d). This bill allows owners of motor vehicles, 35 years or older, to display an 'antique' license plate which displays the year of manufacture. A current plate must be purchased and kept inside the vehicle.

Note: If you display the 'antique tags', it is highly recommended that you keep a copy of this bill inside your vehicle along with your current tag. This is a little known law and some local law enforcement agencies are not familiar with it.

HB 704
    Chapter 257
    An act to permit drivers of Antique cars not to display the current registration plate under certain circumstances.
    The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:

Section 1. G. S. 20-63 (d) is amended by adding a new sentence at the end to read:

"Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person."
    Section 2. This act is effective upon ratification.

12. mike bourg

mike bourg

I put 1958 truck plates on my truck earlier this year, all I had to show was my collector registration and proof of insurance, and no charge, the only reqirement was the collector plates had to be carried in the vehicle at all times.

Mike Bourg