Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thumpr Cam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOLLYWOOD41, Dec 23, 2012.

1. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

Anyone tried the Comp Cams Thumpr cam? Which grind? What size motor? Pros and cons?

2. Thumpr's are what their name says they are. Big loppy sound but useless for serious use. If you just want the "sound of power" get one, but if you want true performance don't waste your money.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Btw.....you can get big power from them if the engine components work well together.....

5. lawman

lawman

I love their sound !!!!

6. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

I think you can do better with a proper cam choice.

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would get a cam that has some bite behind its bark.

8. mt94ss

mt94ss

I use the Mutha Thumpr on a 355 and it has a great sound. Several guys around here have them in their cars and they produce smooth power throughout.

I know that I saw a cam comparison somewhere (I think in Hot Rod mag) and the Thumpr made more power than the other comparable cams they tested.

If you want streetable power and that sound, it's a good choice. Race cams are for racing.

9. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Otherwise known as the "Poser" cam, specifically engineered to attempt to make a lame engine sound like a stout one- kinda. Why not just build an engine that actually makes some power, and the sound is a side benefit- but better. Might as well add a fake blower and some zoomies to go with it :p

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Hell.........I ran 10.87 a while back w/ the Big Muther Thumper hyd. roller w/ six 94 two barrels on race gas...not too shabby for that poser ''cam''..........A poser is a hotrod that has never been run down the 1320......Littleman

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I worked on a 66 chevelle with a flat top piston dubble hump headed 327 with the small one and it sounded dredded needed more stall than he had ran good tell his son broke a rod. I only found out what the engine was after the carnage. Think the car was one of those Ebay scores. The ZZ383 whould whop its ass.

12. I always thought the were in the same category as those "Noisy Timing Gears" I could never figure out what they were all about either. If you want it to sound like it's blown then put a blower on it.

13. Same thing can be accomplished by retarding the shit out of the timing & turning the idle speed way up...then idle around the car show with your left arm on the door..
    Just dont try & throw a rev or it'll backfire---then it's "poser revealed"!

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Joes truck runs like all hell. Probably more 'hot rod' than anyone would ever admit.

15. Rob3865

Rob3865

That's just not true. The Thumpr series cams are designed to pull good in street use, but sound much bigger than they are. Choosing one of them is no different than choosing any other cam. If the cam you choose matches your engine combo, they will work great. I guess that means you dislike the old Crower grinds too, since it is they who came up with the original Thumpr idea. Big duration split with a long exhaust duration and narrow LSA. Those are some of the best old school grinds there were. Comp just took them to the next level. To the OP: Call Comp and get their recommendation for your engine. You won't be disappointed.

16. Rob3865

Rob3865

THIS ^^^^^ Just like any other cam, the Thumpr will work great if it's matched up.

17. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

JOE SHERMAN one the best engine builders in the country put one in Doug Marions 327 and it made very good power on the dyno---i believe they are the real deal and they sound great, if you like a lumpy idle

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think that some people are labelling them "posers" without having actually ever seeing the facts on how they perform or running one for themselves. They are just assuming they were designed for the sole purpose of idling rough with no regard for performance. But the guys who have posted here about them actually making power and turning good times have the real facts to back up their statements.

Is it inconceivable that Comp Cams made a cam that does both ?

Don

19. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

20. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

X2 It amazes me on the MIS INFORMATION on some posts, First check out Hot Rods cam shootout with one of these cams, also if you check out the history these cams are a close copy of a road racer cam, Road racers are not hardly posers.

21. lawman

lawman

Folk's, Let's a fact that not everyone has the fund's to put a blower or build a "fat" race motor for their ride. The little guy's on this site like myself can't aford to build what some folk's on this site have. We still want to have a good sound and not take the food off of our tables !!!
    Maybe if we put a blower on our rides and someone on here put two blowers on their ride would we still be "Poser's" if we did not add aonther blower? !!!! LOL

22. 40grit

40grit

I think a lot of the comments above are unfounded. While the Thumper may not be great for an all out race engine, an all out race engine is not great for the street. I have a friend who has a Thumper in a Built 454 in a pro street 35 Ford coupe. It sounds totally bad but smooths out very quickly. The engine will also break the 14 inch slicks loose any time. The point is, the Thumper cam is great for what it is. It is a performance street cam that sounds even badder than it is and is more streetable than you would ever expect.

John L

23. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Big mutha thumpr I ran a 11.5 quarter mile In mt 27 T with a 9.5 to 1 sbc, edelbrock heads and a t350 with 9 inch and 3.55 spool and the sound is kick ass
    Andy

24. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

All the sound without all that pesky horsepower

25. slammed

slammed

Comp cams states the SOUND is the primary drive (and demand) of making it in the 1st place. In an already sorted out street/strip car yes it will appear to perform as well. But for the average buyer (who wants the 'sound) it is a cam 'posing' as one much bigger than it is. A custom ground cam made for your combination would be the most accurate way to make maximum power. Yes?

26. Deuces

Deuces

I have no comment.... :rolleyes:

27. I'm more of a fan of the comp cams high energy cams.dual pattern, has a pissed off sound and has decent power curve.need a high stall converter if your automatic tho.

28. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have one in a sbf and use the smallest one . It does have a nasty sound but it does have lots of low to mid range torque too so it will be a fun street cam to have .

Retro Jim

29. Rob3865

Rob3865

Here is what the Comp site says.

"COMP Cams® designed the Thumpr™ series of camshafts to deliver the meanest-sounding idle on the block, but we didn’t skimp in the horsepower department in order to make it happen! Even the mildest Thumpr™ Cam profile produced significant horsepower and torque increases when put to the test. So rest assured that all of the musclecar attitude that your Thumpr™-equipped ride will be sporting is going to be backed up by the proven performance that you have come to expect from the horsepower experts."

You can believe bullshit from people that have not tried them or know anyone who has, or believe the facts. Thumpr cams are good products. You can make yourself crazy trying to pick out a cam. Sure, you can probably get more power from a custom grind, but Comp's prices start at 250 just for the cam. Or you can be smart and get an off the shelf Thumpr that will run as good as it sounds with zero guesswork.