Register now to get rid of these ads!

392 hemi cranks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammered30, Dec 21, 2012.

1. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

ive got a 392 hemi and the crank is stuffed. It has a crack in the rear main journal :mad:. I need to get a new one. I dont know if i should spend the money and buy an standard aftermarket one or buy a stroker crank or try my luck again and buy an orginal one. my problem is i live in Western Australia and the freight is a killer. So i only want to do this once. Has anyone had experience with after market hemi cranks good or bad.
    Thanks in advanve
    Paul

2. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

All stockers were cast I think,aftermarket can be either forged steel or cast I believe.other than that I don't know,but I would try more local.

3. TERPU

TERPU

Negative- all Chrysler Hemi cranks were forged from the factory. Onto the topic at hand. Now is your chance to stroke it and make an even meaner engine for similar money. It's only money and for the cubic inches............

Good Luck,

Tim

4. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The only aftermarket cranks are going to be custom made billet ($3000.00), so you could add some cubic inches if going that route. But that will also mean aftermarket rods and custom pistons. Any time I buy or sell a heavy used part such as a crank or heads, I have them magged before they are shipped.

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I cant understand why some people make statements on the forum and have no idea what they are talking about.

Ago

6. Deuces

Deuces

If it's a forging, it could be welded up... Correct???..:confused:
    How about some pictures???..

7. 392

I cant understand why some people make statements on the forum and have no idea what they are talking about.

amen brother i read stuff everyday and cant believe the bs. i could post alot more than i do but dont want to waste my time.

8. I don't think you can repair a cracked crank with a welder, even if it is capable of welding up the crack of dawn.
    In the early days of hot rodding there was quite a bit said about welding cranks, but this was on the journals to give them enough meat to allow for a longer stroke. I never thought that was a good idea. You never hear of it anymore tho , , , ,

9. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Folks have been welding up cranks for years!! May not want one with a fixed crack in a high HP deal, but has been done plenty.

Some guy over on "HeaderFlames" website has one (or some) for sale.

Take care, K

10. Paul, considering where you live, make sure any used crank get's magna-fluxed before shipping. My suggestion is try and develope a paper trail with a understanding your situation and you insist the crank is inspected and shipped with confirmation of the inspection. Anyone reputable will do this. If I can locate one, I will mag it, mic all journals and thrust, check for straightness, and put it all in writing on company letterhead. I rarely do any early Hemi builds any more so please don't hold your breath on me OK, if by chance I locate one, I'll send you a P.M., all the best, TR

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

How bad is this crack and exactly where? Is the crank busted or just a surface crack? Got a pic? Lippy

12. 73RR

73RR

Yeah, more questions need answers as Lippy notes.

A crack at the rear main is a bit odd. We really need some most excellent photos, including pics of the crack during the mag inspection.

Custom cranks will be expensive as Tom notes. I think that $3k will be on the low end but then consider that a stock piece will be near $1k after grinding and inspection.
    If you buy a custom crank is there any real chance you would keep the stock dimensions? If you don't get carried away it may be possible to keep your pistons (but only if they are forgings) and just shorten the rods to accomodate the new stroke....but, again, only within certain limits.

How about some details on the engine and what you are doing with it?

13. FEDER

FEDER

My advise is look for a good factory crank. Im assuming Your using this on the street,so a stock crank will more than do the job. We bought 2 used velasco cranks for our project.
    Sent them all over the country for inspection. Both had small cracks in them. The shop doing the machine work (WAR) Walt Austun Racing said Yea You can use em if You check the crack every run, then change it before it breaks. If Your that lucky.
    I mentioned weld the cracks, thought it was a normal deal. Turns out its not. You dont weld cracks. Still kinda puzzeled by that but every crank Guy agreed. I got 2 cranks for sale if anyones interested. Would be fine for a street motor. FED

14. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just some food for thought. I have torn down alot of hemis whos cranks have come back from magnaflux as cracked. But I have never had a hemi with a broken crankshaft.
    The only true way to know the extent of a crack is to have it x-rayed.

15. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

Thanks for the replies
    This engine is going in a hotrod. So far ive got weiand dual carb manifold with 2competion 600carter carbs, hot heads alumium cyclinder heads, missile rocker gear, an A1 block, steel rods,isky 505 cam, msd igntion, im not worried about spending the money, if its done right.that is why i was asking about after market cranks standard or strocked. I dont have pistons or pushrods just yet. Im building this rod as a keeper(and ive been told no more):-( afriend of mine building the engine for me. he phoned me and told me about the crack, so unfortunatly i dont have any pictures. I was looking for a velasco crank. If i bought an after market crank i would most probly get a stroked one if i could. I will talk to my friend and the machine shop aboutGetting it X rayed. Hey feder how much do you want for the cranks?
    Thnks paul

16. 73RR

73RR

17. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

With those parts, you might want to consider upgrading the intake and carbs.;)

18. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

Hi tr
    What would your suggestion be :) im open to advice:)

19. ridgy didge

ridgy didge

:(:( This guy really needs to catch a break(no pun intended).

Good luck with the search mate..

20. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

HERES WHAT I'D DO
    HOT HEADS RESEARCH AND RACING (STOCK CRANK)
    VALESCO 12422 Benedict Ave, Downey, CA 90242-3112 (BILLET)
    Tel: 562 862 3110
    KEITH BLACK http://www.keithblack.com/ (BILLET)
    ALSO I,D HAVE YOUR BLOCK COMPLETELY CHECKED OUT ALONG WITH YOUR RODS TO MAKE SURE THERE OK BEFORE YOU SPEND THE $ FOR A CRANK.
    I,D PUT A STOCK STROKE CRANK BACK IN IF IT WAS ME. I,VE HAD 35+ EARLY CHRYSLER ENGINES IN FACT I SOLD A SEMI LOAD TO WALT AND BUCKEY AUSTIN IN WA A FEW TEARS BACK. HE MIGHT SELL YOU ONE ALSO. HERES HIS CONTACT INFO. TELL HIM BOB COWAN IN TN SENT YOU...
    Walt Austin Racing
    5202 184th Street East
    Tacoma, WA 98446

(253) 847-8221

BOB

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  21. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

Thanks for the info,I will try to remember

22. FEDER

FEDER

Sorry havnt been back to this post. Will take $1,000 for the both of em. PM Me for more info. Fed