Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question - How To Wire Hurst V Matic Automatic Shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1934fordcoupe, Dec 21, 2012.

1. 1934fordcoupe

1934fordcoupe
    from Tampa, FL

I have an early Hurst V Matic Automatic Shifter that came out of 70's Camaro. The shifter is mounted on a TH 350 transmission in my 34 Ford Coupe. I want to wire the shifter for a neutral safety switch and back up lights. The shifter does not have a neutral safety switch.
    The shifter has the following wires attached on one side of the housing:
    Grey
    Small Red (connects to ground and attached to a small light bulb)
    Large Red
    The other side of the shifter has two wires (orange and black) that are connected together and are attached to a post on the housing.

If any one has a wiring diagram and/or knows the wiring sequence, I would appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Shifter normally has micro switches for the reverse lights and neutral safety switch. Normally you can see the notches that actuate the switches so is easy to tell which is which, if not use a DVM to figure out which switch is for the reverse lights and which for neutral safety. You dont need a wiring diagram, each switch splices into their respective circuits. Light has a ground and a +12v hot. Wiring colors could be anything if they were ever replaced.
    Man I hated that shifter along with the megashifter, quicksilver is my favorite, still have a bunch of them around.

3. In the first pic, you can see the curved contact strip for the switch connections. It looks like there are wired posts for park, reverse and neutral in that order (from bottom of shifter up). The orange wire in the second pic is likely the "hot" side of the connection.

Check continuity to the shifter frame on all the terminals. If they are ALL insulated, you can run 12V+ and run your neutral switch and backup lights directly. If there is continuity, you may have a problem, or have to ground side switch relays to make everything work.

4. 1934fordcoupe

1934fordcoupe
    from Tampa, FL

Thanks for responding - plan wire the shifter today.

5. BTW, I don't know if it's just the photos, but that swivel sleeve on the transmission end of the cable looks bent. I'd unhook it from the shifter and make sure the cable slides smoothly through it's travel.