Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seperator Plate??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjm73, Dec 21, 2012.

1. tjm73

tjm73

This may sound like a dumb question, but I've never seen an answer. What is the purpose of a separator plate?

2. 1RUSTY58

1RUSTY58
    from Alabama

This is just my opinion but I think its to keep the block from being damaged if the flywheel was to break or something like that.

3. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I think it's to keep leaking oil or water out of the clutch or TC, usually also locates the starter.

4. 1RUSTY58

1RUSTY58
    from Alabama

Thats a good answer because one for a manual trans is solid and for an automatic has open places in it. Dont want oil or water on that clutch.

5. On a sbf I think it is used to locate the starter because there are differences in positions and starters according to the type of transmission used.

6. It also keeps the pieces inside when the clutch does blow up...

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm not familiar with the term "seperator plate" but blow proof bell housings used to come with a plate that kept the block from being ruined when a clutch and flywheel blew up. An exploding flywheel would often take out the back of the cast iron block with it. If that is what you are talking about, that is it's purpose.