Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there any shops that build engine dollys for no so common engines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nik, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Nik

Nik

I've got a 302 GMC coming and since it's going to be a while before I do anything with it, I was hoping to find a low to the ground dolly like I have for some of my other engines, but this one has me coming up empty. Any ideas? I'm not going to be receiving the engine for a month or two, that's why I was hoping to have one ready for when it arrived.
    Thanks.

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

if you can build a car you can build a dolly , go score an old broken shopping cart theres the wheels , let you imagination flow ,

4. Nik

Nik

If I had a an engine here to work off of I would, but I have no idea on the dimensions or mounting surfaces. That's why I was hoping to find a shop that made stands for oddball stuff like this.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Go old school and set it on a tire when it shows up, get your dimensions andbuild a stand. Reason sbc and sbf are cheap is because they sell a lot of them. If you found one commercially available its low volume and they will charge more. Just have your angle or tube, chop saw, sawzall, couple pieces of flat plate ready, you can leave the engine on a stand or lift long enough to fab one up.

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

7. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

8. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

I think they are close and a 270 is about 2" longer than a chebby 6 and weighs near 730 lbs as opposed the 670 of the chev IIRC, I could get you some real numbers i.e. L,W,H, tomorrow if you need them. I'm currently working in that vicinity.