Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is a 300 Ford Six too long for a F1?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jack orchard, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jack orchard

jack orchard

I have a 300 Ford six with a 5-speed i would like to put in a 1951 F1. I would like to run the stock fan. Have any of you guys "been there, done that?" I am wondering if the motor is too long to run the stock fan. i can move the radiator support to the front position and gain a couple of inches. Would firewall mods be necessary? Thanks to all for your time...jack

2. ...you won't really know til you lay a tape measure on em, but I've installed Chevy inlines in the F-1 's before without a problem. Chev inlines with a fan are rite at 33-5 inches long from rear of head to fan. One nice thing these F-1's came with a 6 as an option so you do have some room length-wise, I'm thinkin a 300 Ford six would be pretty close to the Chevy dimension-wise. Good luck, sounds like a neat project.
    Any pics of the truck? Post pics if you do the swap.

3. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

I know its too tall to put in a 66 mustang, without a scoop,
    yea I built the first 5.0 stang in '75

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Fan to Bellhousing, Ford 300's are about 36.5" Long.

Will It Fit??? Anything can be made to fit, the question is how much modification are you willing to do. Sounds like a cool project, Good Luck.

5. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Also remember that the radiator can be moved forward with these trucks. The inner fenders and crossmember have two sets of holes so the choice of location is a bolt up deal.

6. It'll fit just fine. Now just slam that bitch in there and if you run into a problem just back up and regroup.

7. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

I've heard that the length can be an issue, do a search over at FTE as I believe someone has done a swap. I remember measuring the length of my F-3's engine bay, and the fit was going to be tight. The radiator has both a V-8 position and a 6 position that is longer. They also make recessed firewalls for putting big V-8's in there. Its not going to be a bolt in swap, but shouldn't be any more difficult then the numerous V-8's that have been swapped.

I found a video with a 300 in a F-1 that might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhZ3Ko4vlv8

8. iamben

iamben

It cant be a whole lot longer than the L-head sixes that the F1's came with. I would imagine the problem would be the height of that old 300 beast. I pulled the straight L-6 out of my F-1 so when I get home I will measure that puppy up and you can compare numbers with the 300.

9. Blackie

Blackie

I have a 300/5speed in my '61 F100 and as soon as I get the wiring and carb figured out I'm going to be VERY happy with it. Tons of torque. I can't speak to your question of fit but I hope it does as it would be a great combo for the F-1.

10. I doubt that height will be an issue if it is mounted correctly. I know where there is a '49 F-1 with a tunnel rammed SBF and plenty of room to close the hood.

11. iamben

iamben

I was thinking the height could be a problem at the firewall where the trans tunnel starts. You are right there is all kinds of vertical room to shut the hood.

12. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

There is a member here who has one done with a 300 in it. I can't remember his screen name but he has the OD green truck with the canvas canopy over the bed. Seems like he's in Pennsylvania.

13. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

I think your talking about this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282424

Unfortunately its a 200 small block six not a big block six, I don't know how they compare lengthwise

I went out and measured the 215/223 in my F-3 and its 33 inches from the rear of the block to fan.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

A 300 is a little shorter than the Chevy.