Register now to get rid of these ads!

WARNING HARBOR FRIEGHT 2 Ton Capacity Heavy Duty Load Leveler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimcaf, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had never used one before. The idea intrigued me so I got one. I hooked it up and it seemed to bind and was too high on the cherry picker to clear the core support.
    I've used it on other things but didnt like it on the engines.
    Generally I consider H/F one time use.

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Same here; been using some beefy lengths of chain that I've had for years.

Wonder how many injury and accidental death lawsuits HF has settled? Several close calls listed in this small HAMB thread alone on one product.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You can make one yourself from USA steel. It is a fun project. I like making tools.

Sent from a Chinese electronic device using an app developed by spies. :) Just jerking your chain.

4. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

The hardware stores are loaded with cheap shit also, the Ace hardware stores here are owned by a local family for many years, their bolt and chain supplier has all the imported junk, I've asked for grade 5 bolts instead of the grade garbage and they just won't go that route, these people want to deal in the cheap import stuff, the rolls of chain also, I'd be very careful on some of that stuff.

5. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

You're gonna pull an engine out with a harbor freight tool? c'mon

6. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

here,s my fix,I used a big honken chain I had around I used for pulls in a body shop and a 3/8 bolt,but even with that my old faithful load leveler I built some years ago is looking pretty bullet proof.I went for the HF because I liked convenience of cranking the screw to adjust.

Attached Files:

7. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

All of the offshore stuff should be safety rated with load capaciy plates. The same as any of the north american mfg companies. OSHA regulations.

8. Vergil

Vergil

USA Made http://www.norcoind.com/norco/products/model/78606.html

chiro likes this.
  9. Say "Thank you Corporate America. Thank you for trading product quality, customer satisfaction and American jobs for increased profits".

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  10. I have that tool and even though it's made offshore from more than likely inferior materials, I like it and have used it many, many times.
    I did remove the handle and weld on a 1/2 x 13 nut so the tilt could be adjusted with my cordless drill.

It's a shame that these tools are made in countries that don't require any kind of laboratory testing or need for customer satisfaction.

11. You can't point load those things !
    Its 1000 lbs evenly loaded , build a small cradle to transfer the engines weight to the entire dolly and you'll have no trouble.

3 SBCs, 2 hemis, 3800 sc and trans, all on a HF 1000 lb dolly with zero trouble

12. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Harbor Freight....good only for work gloves. Buy cheap, get cheap.

13. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and that bolt is a weak link.

Attached Files:

14. ac duster

ac duster

have one too will swap out chains thanks for info

15. mynode

mynode

The (very) last item I bought from Harbor Freight a vice. It looked identical to a more costly vice sold under a name brand and I figured that they were manufactured by the same company in China. When I received the vice I discovered that the jaws were not parallel so that I could not clamp a part in it securely without damaging the part.
    What I realized was that this vice was likely rejected by the name brand company's quality control process and was subsequently sold the HF at a reduced price to be sold to the suckers who buy "tools" from HF.

Dwell on this before spending your money: When you buy from Harbor Freight you may be buying the rejects from a Chinese tool manufacturer.

16. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Hmmm. I snatched the engines/trans out of my O/T '90 Ranger using the 2-ton HF load leveler. I read the thread on here about the poor guy getting his hand crushed, so I was a little leery. Before I did anything I lubed the whole leveler threaded rod with lithium grease and ran the screw adjuster back/forth the whole length of mechanism. Worked pretty well. Only problem I had was the crank handle needed to be lock-nutted in place next time I use it.

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

FWIW, just looked in my Machine Design handbook. A good safety factor in the case of hoisting an engine would be at least 3, preferably 5+.

So multiply the expected weight of the engine by 3 or 5 and pick a chain and hardware to meet or exceed your calcualtion. I myself would use a 5,000 lbf chain, etc. or better.

18. You get what you pay for. I made my own and have lifted a big Olds v8 with hydro several times with no problems.

19. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

550 COUPE,,,if you get a chance post a photo of your home built one.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Maybe bolt on a high rated rigging hook to sling the chain over.

21. slammed

slammed

Someone build one of these levelers for a tech thread yet?

22. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

We had the same leveler start spreading open and the wheels almost came off while a 302 was hanging on it. That was scary as hell. Don't trust anything of theirs that lifts thing. Also craftsman jacks are junk. A friend had 2 blow out on him in one day. It's scary how they rate this stuff and don't give a shit if its gonna crush someone or have thing fall on them.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. williebill

williebill

Stop the Presses
    News Bulletin
    Harbor Freight stuff sucks

"I'm shocked!" in my best Claude Raines voice

24. I move my cars around on these all the time, right over the expansion joints too and never had a problem.

25. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

this has already happened a few years back to notebooms here on the hamb some thing worse out come glad yer alright

26. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It is funny no one admits to buying at HF ...until they have a problem.

27. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Thanks for sharing this. There is a lot of junk out today. Just bought a hydraulic floor jack from Napa....what a flimsy cheap piece of junk compared to the one I had in the 80's Harbor Freight= Horrible Fright

28. Fogger

Fogger

I have a TD Performance Model #9099 Engine Tilter that is made is the USA. No way would I use a HF product!
    Just checked with Summit Racing, they carry the Trans Dapt Model #9099, it is also listed on Amazon and Ebay. It doesn't indicate if it is still made in the USA. So that would be important to verify.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  29. mynode

mynode

I don't know about that. I've run into a lot of HF fanboys who start spraying the holy water around every time someone, like me, relates a personal horror story about their Temple of Craptools.

30. busajack

busajack
    from wy

[​IMG]Most folks can see that the chain is for holding up a parakeet cage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.