Register now to get rid of these ads!

6" drop axle.. where to buy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonechip67, Dec 8, 2012.

1. If you loose your brakes just shoot out the tires and use your axle for brakes.

tim

2. bonechip67

bonechip67

The pic is deceiving. Thats with 14" rims and 24" tires on the front and all the air out of the bags in the back. It will have 18"s up front with 29"s and 20"s in the back with 34"s thus increasing the height quite a bit. With that tire combo, it will sit with 6.5" of clearance at the door with the bags empty. Ride height, I would have to raise the bags which would raise the car to add 4"s at the rear and 1.5" at the door giving me almost 8" at the door (approx). Would like to see it at 6" at the door at ride height.

Frenchie, Thanks, but was looking for an I beam axle, not a tube.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't have any details but try: droppedaxles.com - Industrial Chassis - Bear Metal Kustoms

4. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Explane please. So if I buy a 4in drop axle from speedway it dosent drop it 4in? that dosent make sence

5. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Thinking the same thing about the scrub line, a drop axle doesn't change scrub line at all. I couldn't easily find an image with a drop axle but you can imagine a king pin in place of the ball joints.
    [​IMG]

Just for argument sake..... If you could get a safe 6" drop axle I wonder if you could run your tie rod over the frame and be able to correct ackerman. Yea it would pretty much screw you if the spring or shackle ever let loose, But we are just dreaming anyways.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  6. Soviet

Soviet

http://www.oregonhotrod.com/ford_axle_id.htm

Companies use the Model A axle as their basis for advertised drop.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Lighten up, guys,.....He may need to moonlight, doing road grading jobs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run a 4" axel under my 40 pickup, and had to get one of those low profile jacks, for when the inevitable flat tire happens.......

4TTRUK

8. Sure it would...your illustration shows the scrub radius (the distance between the kingpin axis and the center of the contact patch). We are discussing SCRUB LINE - the imaginary lines which denote the position of the roadway in the event of a flat or loss of a tire. You don't want any part of the vehicle to extend past the scrub line so that in the event of said flat or loss of tire, the vehicle will not 'scrub' the pavement - resulting in loss of control. See illustration below:

[​IMG]

As for how a dropped axle, reverse eye spring, etc. affects the scrub line, let's say you have a heavily channeled rod and clearance from the body to the pavement is 8" at normal ride height rolling on tires with a 7" tall sidewall, you'll have at least 1" of clearance (1" between the body and the scrub line) in the event of a flat or loss of tire. Lowering the body or chassis of a vehicle will have a direct effect on said clearance at the scrub line. That same heavily channeled rod that had 1" of scrub line clearance (8" clearance [minus] 7" sidewall) will now have less clearance if it is lowered.

The subject of dropped axles can be confusing...for instance, a '32-36 factory Ford axle will drop a Model A 1 3/4" so it may be referred to as a 'dropped axle', although that would not be an entirely accurate description. To simplify things, most people reference the amount of 'drop' as compared to a Model A axle. So a "4-inch dropped axle" would represent a 4" drop on an otherwise stock Model A, but only a 2 1/4" drop on a 32-36.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Ah I smell what your stepping in...Sustained!

3banjos likes this.
  10. I try not to step in it, but I have been accused of being full of it :)

3banjos likes this.
  11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I don’t know why they do it or how it started but yes 4” axle doesn’t = 4” lowering.

12. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Here is my car. The scrub line is non-existent. The shock mount and the bottom of the hairpin would hit if a tire ever came off. Or maybe the front frame horn? This is a 4" dropped axle with 15" wheels. Now if I ran 18" wheels it might work properly. Food for thought.

Attached Files:

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had scrub line explained to me two different ways by two different Washington State Patrolmen who at different times had me pulled over because they said the front end of my 48 was too low.

One said that no chassis part could touch the pavement if he let the air out of all four tires. The other said that all chassis parts had to be above the lip of the rims. The main reason behind the little fart pipe cars going to taller and taller rims with thinner tires. Although it's actually not copacetic with the scrub line laws as they stand I doubt that most law enforcement people would give Wingman9'S sedan a second glance as far as scrub line on the front axle goes. The car has that "just right" hot rod look to it and nothing looks out of place. Can't say that about the OP's sedan as it has a real "HEY OFFICER LOOK AT ME!" look to it that will most likely make it instant cop bait to begin with.

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

just looked at your web site ,lots of good info on axles, I want to drop the front of my dragster down ,any subjustions on how much , I can have 3 inchs of clearance on the frame, Thanks Sorry to hijack your thread bonehead :D, Stop up to the shop some weekend Tim Jones

Attached Files:

15. bonechip67

bonechip67

I think I have it worked out to where I wont need to go any lower with the axle. Thanks to everyone for all the great info on scrublines and such... Im always learning more and tring to use it where ever needed in my projects.

Tim, better get to work on Wallys T bucket, I know hes gonna need the help! :)

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"296, Thats more than a 4" drop, more like 7 or 8""

Apples, oranges. Traditional usage was to list Ford axles by the drop over stock...a hotrod was based on a Ford, and that told you how much it would go down.
    Strretrod usage is total drop over a hypotheticl straight axle, because there is no baseline car to discuss.
    Very large drop results in a shaky front end because axle drop area is all leverage, applied to twist as wheel encounters the road.
    Scrub line (not scrub radius, an entirely different can of worms) is critical as you cannot expect any help from tire in a severe failure. Starting point for serious thought is establishing a line between bottoms of actual wheel rims and comparing that to everything that could touch the ground. On the car noe you could simply block up a board, then change the altitude of the board to match the changes you discuss. Anything that cannot rotate that touches the ground will become a pivot point for the car if a tire goes away, and the pivoting will happen way too quickly and violently for any response.

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Just waiting for him to start:rolleyes:, Bob's gathering parts for a T speedster,,, Dragsters , hotrods, The shop will be like it was when you still worked there:D, Maintance? we don't have time for maintance, were buildin HOT RODS:eek: Tim Jones

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  18. Attached Files:

19. bonechip67

bonechip67

Thats the look Im going for, except I have the axle under the frame. It wont sit quite as low that way but wanted to keep the length close to stock and I like the look of the horns sticking out the front :)

Just waiting for him to start:rolleyes:, Bob's gathering parts for a T speedster,,, Dragsters , hotrods, The shop will be like it was when you still worked there:D, Maintance? we don't have time for maintance, were buildin HOT RODS:eek: Tim Jones

Well, i did cut the metal for my frame there :) Im also going to have to stop back up to use the roller to make a trans tunnel..

20. koolbeans

koolbeans

Great looking front view.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. koolbeans

koolbeans

Curious... ground clearance of axle at center?? and from top of axle to frame?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app