Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another old Mopar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StayFrosty, Jun 7, 2011.

1. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    from Wisconsin

I picked up another old Plymouth last Friday--This time it's a '54 Savoy
    [​IMG]
    I bought it from an older gentleman in my hometown. He has owned the car since 1983 and mostly drove in in parades and took it to local shows in the summer. It was garage kept when he wasn't driving it and it's in pretty darn good shape for a 57 year old car. The engine runs like it rolled out of the factory yesterday and everything is tight and smooth.
    [​IMG]
    All the wiring is in good shape and all the electronics work with the exception of the radio. I spotted a power wire not connected behind the radio so one of these days I'll hook it up and see what catches fire ;)
    [​IMG]
    The body is by no means perfect. There are a couple of rust spots visible in the above picture. I also spotted some rust and bondo in and around the rocker panels. For now the plan is to fix that and drive it over the summer while I finish up some other projects. Every time I look at the car I have visions of a nice mild custom with a lace pattern on the top, shaved door handles and frenched headlights among other things. I just can't bring myself to cut the car up (yet.)
    [​IMG]
    The WWW tires came with the car and are in fantastic condition. The white walls cleaned up nicely with some SOS pads and a little elbow grease.

So far I've been enjoying cruising around int he car and it has attracted all kinds of attention wherever I've gone. There are a few things I need a little advice on though. The seats are original and in great shape. They aren't torn or overly worn and I'd like to keep it that way. What do you use for a seat cover on the split bench seats? I did pick up a few "indan blankets (sic)" when I went through New Mexico back in February and I thought of using them but I'd prefer something a little more form fitting. Any suggestions?

I'd also like to add an aftermarket tach. The problem I'm having is the shifting linkage runs along the top of the steering column preventing me from mounting a tach there. Any ideas for this? I've considered mounting one off to the side but then the gauge isn't straight. Any help would be appreciated.

2. JaBoney

JaBoney

Very cool and original ride u got there! Why not just lower it a little add a tach with a flat mount on top of the dash and drive it. Sounds like u like it the way it is! No need to cut it up just for the sake of it. I like it the she sits now.

3. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

hey, looks like mine, only nicer. to cool![​IMG]

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice looking ride , id be having to much fun cruising in it to customize it

5. Jimmy55

Jimmy55
    from australia

Very nice ride
    Really loike the hub caps, what are they from.
    love it

6. Nice car, a real pity that we here in Oz never got anything after WW2 in the mopar line apart from 4dr sedans and Utes in the mid 50's.........as for the tacho mount, whats wrong with having it angled towards you on the top of the dash?........I've got a small aftermarket one mounted there on my 41 Plymouth and its got a chromed backing & mount that suits the car.......love chrome.......lol.........andyd

Attached Files: