Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcons done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Alfster

Alfster

2. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

3. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

I love Falon wagons of all colors!!

4. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

We have 2x 1965 Falcons as our promotional vehicles for Sony Beach Hop 2013 www.beachhop.co.nz[/URL]
    Both cars are going to find new homes at the Festival!
    First up is a 65 Futura - I purchased this one in Pennsylvania and drove it across country to Long Beach. It has a brand new 347 Stroker engine (Eagle assembly), FRP alloy heads, manual shift C4 and narrowed 8" with mini-tubs. New paint, chrome, interior etc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Number 2 is this 65 Ranchero. I purchased this from near Portland, Or and drove it to Long Beach. It too has a 347 Stroker, C4 but has a narrowed 9".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Which Falcon would you choose to take home? The first name drawn at the Festival can choose!
    Noddy Watts
    Beach Hop Central

exterminator likes this.
  5. Alfster

Alfster

I have made room in the garage for the Futura. Thanks Noddy.

6. Locoxp

Locoxp

thought i might share my work in the back of my 65 wagon, its my first attempt, just tacked up mostly, diff is shotened disc lsd from eb falcon bags are slam specialties 7s and shocks are CF bedford..any comments on impovements welcome..

Attached Files:

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Looks pretty damn good! Only thing i could think of is since you cut the floor completley you shouldhave gone with a bag on bar set up for a better ride and more lift.
    But thumbs up regardless :)

8. Panel Dan

Panel Dan
    from Melbourne

I know this is only four years late, but I had dual circuit manual brakes, the standard issue Lockheed 1968 set up in an Australian Falcon. When I purchased the car it har 4 wheel drum brakes, but I installed 4 wheel discs using a later rear axle and disc brake spindles.

To get really nice power brakes that were really well balanced I installed dual remote boosters, a PBR VH44 and a PBR VH40. These boosters aren't particularly cheap, but by fitting the larger of the two boosters to the front circuit, and the smaller of the two to the rear circuit, my car had amazing brake balance and a very solid pedal feel. I know what you mean about the pedal feel being squishy too.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/av86mdp - Here's a look at the remote booster.

Not sure if you can get the brake boosters anywhere but Australia, but they are still available here, and make at vacuum assisted front brakes a whole lot easier.

If you're in the money, there is also this: http://preview.tinyurl.com/aw56u4s
    from Revelation Race Supplies. I want one of these so badly.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I hope this has been of assistance to someone.

9. SLCK64

SLCK64

10. Faus

Faus

I may have missed it in the thread while reading it, but what springs will fit a 1st gen falcon front and rear that would lower it?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You mean like running Aerostar springs in a ‘49-‘59 Ford? I’m not aware of any interchange springs that lower the Falcons. Some of the vendors sell lowering springs, though.

12. Judd

Judd

More updates on Pierre's 62. We have the 460/C6 mounted and the rear end in with ladder bars.

Attached Files:

• MYR2.JPG
      MYR2.JPG
      File size:
      186.1 KB
      Views:
    • NLB3.JPG
      NLB3.JPG
      File size:
      187.6 KB
      Views:
  13. mike doyle

mike doyle

I have a White 63 Sprint that needs redoing Mike 214 232 6827

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ok gang, I hate to be the librarian type, but every year or so I like to kinda remind folks that this is "Falcons DONE right", and is the pretty, finished, show it off type thread. We also have "DOING Falcons right" which is more of the tech type thread where we can discuss mods and show construction shots and such. It keeps thing s a lot clearer if we use the threads in this way.

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Bad ass dude. Plannin on skinny whites? It would make a hell of a diffrence.
    I'd love to see how you set up the suspension btw.

16. Panel Dan

Panel Dan
    from Melbourne

Try these: http://bit.ly/Wek4ew
    Probably out of Australia. That's a 3" drop.

17. LOPESphotographics

LOPESphotographics

Worth it over cut springs w/ expanders??

18. rlsteel

rlsteel

This is how I did it 40 years ago. 302 tunnel ram 4 speed 4.86 gears.RLS

Attached Files:

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Tell you what, I don't know the nomenclature of the Australian Falcons (Xp,Ep,etc.), but the first thing I see is that if those are pictures of the actual springs sold in that auction they are not going to fit a "round body" American Falcon. They are a pigtail type spring that is made to fit a specific vehicle and just aren't going to work for our stuff.

I spent this last week down with the flu, and in that time I spent quite a bit of time with a MOOG spring catalog with coil diameter, spring diameter, free height and installed height measurements trying to find such a spring. I can tell you as far as I can tell it doesn't exist. Period. There are several springs of a slightly greater spring rate that will swap into a Faclon from cars such as Mavericks, Mustangs and Granadas. They will all provide a fairly stock ride height and can be trimmed down from there. There are some aftermarket springs geared to the '64-'66 Mustang crowd that will drop the car that should interchange with our Falcons, but I have not tried them first hand and can't speak from first hand knowledge. All seem to feature an extremely stiff spring rate, too. If my experiments with other interchangable springs work well I'll post them in the near future over on the tech thread.

I have owned Falcons for over 30 years now. I had a lapse of 13 years until this last year or two since I had spent any real time playing with mine when I became involved with doing my girlfriends wagon that I'm driving now. I set it's front suspension up with a set of stock springs cut 1 1/4 coils, Shelby dropped the upper arms, reangled the upper ball joints and will end up narrowing the lower arms a touch in the very near future. I used KYB Mustang II shocks that I machined a bar to bolt to the Falcon's lower mount because they are significantly shorter and have their bump stop built in to the shock. In the rear I took my leafs down to a local spring shop and de-arched them 3", then made a 1" block of 6061 aluminum for the last bit I wanted to come down. I filled these leafs with polyurethane bushings I narrowed from commonly available Mustang products. This car rides very nicely and handles many times better than other stock Falcons I have driven over the years. It is the third car I have set up this way in that thirty year history with these cars and it works well.

Now, I mention this point both to educate, ( in my opinion there really is no bolt on drop it stuff for Falcons, just simple DIY stuff short of air bags or all out race stuff) but also to draw attention to my post back at the top of this page. Most of what I just described doing I have mentioned or explained over on the tech thread "Doing Falcons right" as I have gone through the car, along with the inputs of many, many others. There is a wealth of tech knowledge on these cars on this sight that can answer just about any question you have with a simple search or some reading on the thread dedicated to what your looking for.

If anybody is interested in stuff like Narrowing the bushings I mentioned above, I'd be happy to write a tech piece on it later this week and post it over on the tech thread. I photographed it as I did it this time but felt it was just a bit basic to spend too much bandwidth on at the time. I have done the same already on the Shelby drop and a Falcon spring compressor I made a year or two ago. Just hit the search...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  20. bathcollector

bathcollector

Our early Falcons are the same as your ones. Those pics are generic spring pics.

21. Panel Dan

Panel Dan
    from Melbourne

Yes, definitely. I've seen cut springs used, but it always seems like the front end then gets too soft. On the other hand, if you are wanting to lower the car say 5 inches, you'll have to cut springs.
    I'm actually putting a set of 3" lowered springs that will suit '65 onwards Falcons on eBay in a few hours.

22. falconsquire

falconsquire

My squire , owned it for 2 years. 5 stud wheels . Lowered resto car
    <a href="http://s1162.beta.photobucket.com/user/falconsquire/media/05653603-7C3B-4FF5-8846-96B8CD61D25A-367-00000034F73BB41E.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

My daily is an xb fairmont wagon. A bit new for hamb but still not a common car

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. falconsquire

falconsquire

<a href="http://s1162.beta.photobucket.com/user/falconsquire/media/2478FD68-1C6B-43F1-B459-4CCABA40CA76-367-00000034D136E53F.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    It didn't post properly . My daily xb fairmont (luxury falcon) in Australia. Owned it for 5 years. I know it's too new but thought you guys would like to see an Aussie falcon.

24. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

This is true, I just bought those 70mm drop (3 inch) front king springs for my Falcon, so all good there, see my build thread for the difference in height they made :)

History lesson : Aussie falcons are pretty much the same as the usa cars from 61-65, even though the body's look slightly different (like my 65 XP, its still basically a 61 Falcon, just been face lifted with different sheet metal)

25. falconsquire

falconsquire

<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/albums/q537/falconsquire/?action=view&current=8E2F97F9-65BC-4A54-9985-048698D6A0D3-473-0000004969CAC50D.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    My squire and a cool custom one.

26. LOPESphotographics

LOPESphotographics

[​IMG] Anyone know anything about this one. I am looking into doing a grill like this for my Comet. I think it's a really great build... Done up really well.

exterminator likes this.
  27. I believe that's LaGrasta's.

28. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Thought I might as well put a pic up of my Aussie 65 Falcon :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. WoW so much love for Falcons! great to see others building these cars here a 61 Comet that's kinda cool being a 4 dr and all, little old lady brought into our shop for some rust repair, she's been driving it since Nixon was in office. So I use it for a training program for the young guys I train here , and also hosted a weekend work shop on how to do proper filler work after all the metal work was done. They're great little cars and fun to build as the Falcons are here is a 63 Convertible that we are restoring as well.

Attached Files:

30. LOPESphotographics

LOPESphotographics

ImageUploadedByTJJ1359217010.553512.jpg
    Soon this will have a 60 falcon front clip and cluster. This was my parts car for my 63 comet. Now I came across the falcon cheap enough to put together a second car.

Annnnd I just realized I clicked on the wrong thread...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013