Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Not always all is so black!
    Noup, holes welded, but u know the fuel tank is really deformed. There is not a straight place on it! If u want to chrome it, u must to get surface glossy like glass before chrome it and u cant use plastic, ground color, to get it glossy! It sounds almost impossible to do it with tin or copper or missin!

What is problem with your friends spectra chrome system?

2. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

There is two types of SnCl- liquid and powder! I have a powder! when i make experiments with it I realized that best results is with 1g SnCl + 2g hydrochloric acid on 1 litter water. If I use more SnCl than liquid stays like milk and on surface is brown stains! Tomorrow I will tray Angel G chemicals and will see difference!

3. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

I know what you mean, I tried SNCI2 powder at 2% with distilled water and the liquid is like milk.
    How much Silver Nitrate do you use in your solution?

4. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

My solution is different from others (I think so :D) In my solution is +/- 2g on one L. but, there is variations what u want and silver is not the general thing! Reducer is more important I think, and to mix reducer right is problem :)

5. ngocdong2001

ngocdong2001
    from Vietnam

Hi Nica.
    I'm from Vietnam, I've read entire your post and begun to experiment.
    I'm starting with plastic spoon but get stuck in the first time. The result is very very ugly? I use spray gun to do the silvering, may I over spray? Do you have any advise? Please look at my attachment.

Attached Files:

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Your attachment is very scary. Are you related to Ngo Long Dong? He was a legendary HAMBer.

7. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Do u use wetting agent? Do u wash it of? Do u use good tin for silvering and later wash off it well? If no, do it again!

8. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi for everyone!

I get my chemicals from Angel_G. Yessss, wetting agent works brilliant. Very nice, no more nightmares with wetting surface!

tin (SnCL) looks for first time, that works good! Better than mine! (But now i know how it looks, and i made it myself :) I hope so :D)

about silver! from silvering chemicals i waited more :( Thats same trouble- little yellow!

I tryed A-G wetting agent and tin, and my silver solution and reducer AND for now my formula looks little better than A-G. Silver is little brighter than A-G. My formula works little faster than A-G.
    These are only first tests!

I decided that my acrylic base coat makes silver tone yellow! Someone had this problem? I try on glass- silver shiny like mirror, try on spoon (without any base coat)- silver bright like mirror, try on old car wing on lacquer- thats same, no yellow! Maybe my base coat reacts with silver?

Nicamarvin can u say something about base colors, do u use too black acrylic 2k base color?

there is pictures- the light is poor, and some images is too dark that they really is! (my formula is on smallest piece and spoon)

Before top coat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

Nice work! well done!

My first attempt with the AG came out a little yellow I have got some candies on the way for a tinted topcoat, Seems to be a nessecary evil.

Did you spray the wetting agent or wipe it on?

10. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Maybe the problem with yellowing is in base coat? Why all other parts isnt yellow?

I wipe wetting agent? Do u think that in sprayer it works better?

From where u buy candies for top coat?

11. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

p.s. it is not normal this yellowish color! Silver must be a silver not golden silver! We must to get answer- why it is yellow!

12. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Nicamarvin

U wrote that

mixing the silver chemicals with di water, mix 4 ml of silver concentrate and 4 ml of silver activator on the left side of the bottle with 200 ml of water(pour the water first, then the chemicals, this is a must) add 4 ml of silver reducer on right side of bottle(again after 200ml of Di water first)

When I read A-G description i understand that 4ml silver+ 4ml reducer in 100ml water not 200? No?

13. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

The problem with yellowing could be in the basecoat, I havent got the experience to pinpoint what the cause is but the yellowing seems to be an accepted consequence of chrome spraying which can however be remedied by tinting the top coat.

Have so far wiped the wetting agent but will try spraying at some point.

Have got the candies from here
    http://www.custompaintsupplies.co.uk/inspire-candy-59-c.asp

They are in the post but I will let you know what they are like once I have tested them.

14. Salad Dodger

Salad Dodger

Wow!! doing some great work there pal well done , on the second
    from last photo there is a violet blue sachet is that to colour the
    clear coat before chroming ?? Have switched to base coat black as opposed to
    2k black for under laquer coating looks lot better much flatter finish & less
    faults in

15. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi!

Can u write detailed explanation with your technique? U Spray on silver on lacquer, or I dont understand something!

16. thunderroad

thunderroad
    from san mateo

West coast customs sprayied our audi with this process.
    [​IMG]

17. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qvEYkZUX_Fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

19. Salad Dodger

Salad Dodger

I have sprayed clear coat over black basecoat but found the chrome solution
    went a yellow after drying , I wondered if you coloured the clearcoat with blue
    to keep the chrome bright & clear without yellowing

thanks for your input :D

20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Why in the Hell can't you just "BUTT OUT" of this thread. If you don't like it's content, THEN DON"T READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What does a chrome sprayed Audi have to do with traditional hot rodding?

22. Hey d.o.m. You mess with one of us, you mess with the whole trailer park.

23. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

if it has to be explained to you u probably wouldnt ''get it''

24. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi!
    Today a lot of experiments! I discovered that best base color is white, not black! With white color is no yellow shadows!

Pictures (dont look on base coat errors, I had problems with plastic ground color :( )

Before top coat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some present to my friend HD addicted :) :D HD emblem is under the glass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And someone there say that in this topic is nothing about hot road :D

There is some car to- restoring ford torino gt 1972, maybe month and will be ready

[​IMG]

25. busajack

busajack
    from wy

Are these materials expensive? Are you guys being paid for all this R&D?
    Let the customers figure it out. This stuff won't be around in 5 yrs.:rolleyes::D

26. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Why not?

27. chrisp

chrisp

I wouldn't bet on that, chrome is getting more and more expensive and crappier, a lot of shop do only the shitty triple chrome, no more copper and in barely 3 years of weather exposure it starts to rust.
    Since prepping for paint is easier and since from what I read elsewhere the spray on chrome doesn't age well it's still cheaper than shitty chroming that will need to be redone anyway.
    Unfortunatly sometimes we have to choose between 2 evils the one that's less evil.

28. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Its true, because I long time try to find good chroming master! For now i know one, who chrome only with chrome and not plating under copper! For start its looks ok,but how long? and, less than chrome masters u can find man who restoring parts like polish, weld, tinning ... I havent free time to make all parts by my self to good condition. In my garage are restoring lot of old cars and there is tons of chrome details! If later will be some problems with silver i just repaint, re silver and re do top coat! Thats all! Silvering is few times cheaper than real chrome, u can do it few times faster and looks per 90% thats same!

29. chrisp

chrisp

I had parts chromed in L.A. when I was living there now that my car is in France all the chromes have to be redone, barely 3 years... and I'm talking about under hood chrome.
    Here I found 1 chrome shop that does every steps but doesn't finish very well in tight places. I talked to one shop owner he told me they can do show quality stuff but they don't want to be bothered with that, even if you pay them...
    So unfortunatly I'm starting to consider the silvering stuff as a viable option.

30. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Thats same shit in my country! This is the reason why i spent for now more than month to learn how to do this! Yes, in all videos all looks easy, like any kid can do this, but when u start to do this by your self, u recognize that it is fckn hard to do! Its hard to make good film for silvering, to correctly wash wetting agent off, not to much and not to less. Its hard to apply silver in one tone, without some white clouds and dots under! lots and lots of practice! With small pieces its easy, but when u start some bigger- helmet, gas tank, wheel, its hard!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.