Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 chevy high rev questions and advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by livinlow, Dec 19, 2012.

1. livinlow

livinlow

Hey guys, I got a stock 283 4bbl engine in my 61 impala. My question to you guys is for those of you who've had a 283 before (I haven't), do you have any secret tricks for a guy on a budget to get a little more high rpm out of it? I wouldn't be racing it all the time or anything, but it would be fun to have somthin that could wind up when I'm just messin around! Anything and everything you've discovered about revving a 283 I would love to hear!

2. I just use a cut off broom handle. I jam it between the seat and the gas pedal. She screams like you wouldn't believe!

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

An early 283 is built with a forged crank and rods, with a good cam and an engine in good shape it should rev safely to 5500-6000.

4. With a Duntov solid lifter cam and fresh valve springs, no limit to rpm. Well, maybe 8000 or so. Used to pull that kind of rpm daily in my old 57's with 2x4's and 4.56's.

5. livinlow

livinlow

Good idea man! Haha.

6. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

Yup - the 283 I had in my '50 Chevy regularly saw the top side of 5000 rpm.

7. dblgun

dblgun

Everything you would normally due to a small block in the way of making them more reliable at higher rpm. 283's really need a decent amount of compression but are limited as to valve size because of bore diameter. In my opinion 10.5:1 seems to be the minimum compression, 11:1 is better and at 12:1 they really come alive. I had a 11:1 292(.060 overbore) once with a pretty decent set of 1.94 heads, a flat tappet CC280 Crane cam and a Edelbrock Scorpion manifold that went pretty good on the street. Head gaskets are getting hard to find but I suppose you get someone like Cometic to make up some MLS units for you. Early rods are known to be weak so be carefull there. It really depends on what you have in mind for the car. A decent set of gears, a four speed and a healthy 283 make for lots of fun.

I'm sure many others here will chime in to give some good pointers.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  8. livinlow

livinlow

Thanks guys. So.. what size cam do you think?

9. livinlow

livinlow

Thanks man!

10. slammed

slammed

Be realistic, and common sense: The heads can only flow so much air, and low end is killed with high lift. What is your real intentions? Mostly street with very little drag strip right? TONS of cam companies have guidelines for you to pick from. Good (fresh) valve springs should be considered.

11. livinlow

livinlow

Well you pretty much hit it on the head right there, I really don't see this car racing a lot. Thanks for your input! Definitely doin cam and valve springs.

12. livinlow

livinlow

Sounds bad ass! If I knew how to tune dual quads I would run em in a heartbeat!

13. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

If you ever want to get serious, and turn that bottom end into a 4 bolt main block, I got a NOS Mr.gasket Block Support Kit. Sold one, but have 1 more left. Check out the classifieds here on Hamb or PM me. Machine shop milling required

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Stick, auto, power brakes, rear gears? and more it all comes into play choosing a cam ...............

15. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Short duration, as much lift as you can get, tight LSA, 4 speed and deep gears!

Devin

16. livinlow

livinlow

Its got a 3 speed OD wIth hurst floor shIft and a stock rear not sure what ratio. Probably 308 or something? And it doesn't have power brakes.

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

18. livinlow

livinlow

Well damn Jeff, pretty much spelled it out for me! Thanks man! Lol

19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

20. livinlow

livinlow

21. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i had a 283. Ported 416 305 heads, screw in studs, z-28 springs, chromoly push tubes, full roller rockers. solid cam at like 513 lift, tunnel ram and hollys. Also had a bbc oil pump. Stock rotating assembly. Would wind it out till the valves floated at like 6800. It was MISERABLE under 3k though. Stab the clutch, wind it up, and side step. Pedel it to keep the rpm up and it would scream.

22. livinlow

livinlow

So if I do all this to the engIne, should I be worried to much about my trans, driveshaft (which is the two piece cuz of the x-frame), and my rear end? I'd hate to scatter those all over the street. Lol

23. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Realy 8000 daily ya maybe once

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Probaly want to look at the pistons seen a lot of the cast pistons in the bottom of the pan.

Dan Timberlake likes this.

25. Do the math, don`t over carb this motor. 600 cfm;)

26. Any thing CAN break, no matter what you do. When my son and I were racing at Woodburn we learned the most valuable tool we could own is a trailer.

27. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Duntov 098 or similar grind

28. a stock rear end with 3.08 gears and a 3-speed transmission? what RPMs are you looking for and when are you going to do it?

29. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Have you simply tried stepping on the gas pedal harder? Downshift & let it scream. Just make sure there's enough oil & water.

30. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Me too...