Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical In-Car Footage: Scarab

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 19, 2012.

1. catdad49

catdad49

After the first lap, I started driving the car, determined to keep the other guy behind me! Great fun, Cat

2. autobilly

autobilly

Tyres got a workout, consider my spine tingled!

3. I'm with RevKev in thinking the reddish car is a Lotus 11 or 15. They're light, have good brakes, a little twin cam 4 cylinder engine and driven well are fast as hell. On a flat, short, tight track they're hard for the big bore drum brake cars like the Scarab to beat.

4. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Propwash,

Red car is not a Lotus 11. Think about the standing start with the red car probably next to the Scarab - but out accelerating it! No way a Lotus 11 can do that, even if it is a 15 rather than an 11.

The shape is very similar, however, but much larger, I think.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I know I will catch hell for this but I don't care. I am not doing nothing wrong, just making a point. Dearest Ryan, "American Bread" is "Wonder" "Weber" "Home Pride" etc.......etc.....what you meant to say is "American Bred". ok, got that off my chest.

6. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool, but all thoses guys standing along the edge of the track... Very trusting!

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

The people standing along the track are corner workers. They were a very brave group back then- no berms - no cement or steel barriers and very few of them. Great footage - thanks for sharing. And the voice sounds like Steve McQueen.

8. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Not 'gonna catch hell from me... but perhaps the man was referring to the wealth that a Woolworth-Hutton heir could spend on pure, competitive, automotive art.

I was fortunate enough to watch Chuck Daigh in chassis 002 race Phil Hill in the equally impressive 412 M.I. Ferrari at Riverside in '58. I have seen many races in the ensuing years but for about 90 minutes, until the Ferrari started to have vapor lock problems it was and is the finest contest between equal competitors I have ever seen.

9. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

This footage is from a five-lap match race held over Labor Day at CDR in 1960. Harry Heuer is driving the Meister Bräuser (formerly Scarab 002) against Bob Carnes in the Bocar XP-6 (the Chevy engine has a blower on it, hence the red car getting the hole shot over the normally aspirated Scarab/Meister Bräuser.)

The Bocar was the bigger hammer; Heuer won by outbraking/out-driving Carnes on track not well-suited to either car.

Great find, Ryan.

Cris

10. I worked for the guy who bought out Briggs Cunninghams collection. It's now located in Florida. The scarab that he owns is still Raced and raced hard! It was just wrecked maybe 2 years ago. And is currently being restrored I believe it rolled about 3 times. Neat race car

11. thirty5window

thirty5window
    from Colorado

The red car is a Bocar Stiletto with a 283 sbc and a front mount 4-71 blower.

12. GaryC.

GaryC.

BoCar Stiletto. Early '60s magic!

Attached Files:

13. jroberts

jroberts

Lance Reventlow and the Scarab....I haven't thought about them in a long time. Thanks for bringing back fond memories of when a kid I drooled over pictures and stories of them. Always thought the Scarab was a beautiful car and I loved it when it competed successfully with the Europeans.

The one thing these videos bring out is how things have changed. Course workers unprotected at track side, roll bars that were shorter than the driver, skinny tires, helmets and drivers' suites that probably would have done little to protect those that wore them.

Thanks again Ryan for a great and exciting look into the past.

14. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

Imagine 50 laps of that. You'd have to have forearms like Popeye!

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I stand corrected on the Lotus ID concurrence - the evidence presented in a couple of subsequent posts indicates that it is indeed the Bocar.

16. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Very Cool race footage!

17. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Very nice. Thanks Ryan.
    Slim

18. Love the squeel of those bias plys around the curves.

19. fatkoop

fatkoop

I drive by CDR all the time. It's mostly completely gone now, but you can still spot the earth embankment to the west of where the straightaway (drag strip) used to be. I remember watching Garlits changing oil between rounds in Swamprat II, or III, or IV, (or some roman numeral). He just opened the drain plug and let it go all over the ground. I also heard that the first time Shelby raced his Cobra was there at CDR. Great times!!

20. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Thanks for the very interesting background about this race. It makes the race and video even a lot more interesting.

21. Spooky

Spooky

Well done, Ryan. CDR was a raceway that dissolved too quickly. I have a track official's shirt from there from the late great Jack Richards. Many from Colorado do not realize the racing heritage of the Mile High state.

22. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I thought the red car might be an old lotus type 10 or type 11 but I could definitely be wrong

23. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I stand corrected!

24. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

The Scarabs were lettered & striped by none other than Von Dutch himself!

25. Heck, I must have clicked on the wrong damned video. I got a big boobed blonde girl bouncing around in a tight-as-a-drum white shirt. Ryan, what are you doing to me?
    I was trying to focus on the action and ended up gettin' a nose bleed after that...

26. flamingokid

flamingokid

Great car,but the Shelby lives on,and on....

27. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Ryan...

Thought all of you here would enjoy this piece of "Lance" Trivia:

While I was living in Hollywood in '64, one of the hottest new places was (in it's earliest "In-Crowd" stage) "Whiskey A-Go-Go".

One night when I was there, in walks Lance Reventlow, Tuesday Weld, George Hamilton, Yvonne Craig (pre-"Batgirl" days), Jimmy Boyd (who'd been married to Craig), and, Jill St. John (who'd been married to Reventlow). Talk about a "turn-your-head-and-look-that-way" moment !

Now, the "Whiskey" always was heavy with Celebs...but that particular "they-all-walked-in-at-one-time" photo op was truly one of the GREATEST I was involved in at that club !

And, when seeing Reventlow in his "street clothes" as opposed to his track gear, you had to look twice before it registered as to who he really was.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  28. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I remember seeing footage of that wreck. John Morton was driving the car at Laguna Seca (or whatever it's called in this day and age) in an exibition connected to one of the big concours deals.

I forget how many times it went over, but it looked like more that three, but I'm not sure that it makes a great deal of difference. The main thing was that it sure looked expensive.