Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magneto help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bykerlad, Dec 19, 2012.

1. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

I have a Mallory super mag model 310 SP,Can anyone tell me the correct transformer to use with this item,(is a transformer the U S term for a coil or are they different ) any help would be much appreciated.thanks ken in oz

2. TERPU

TERPU

No we call coils coils and transformers transformers to clear that up. A coil stores juice and a transformer makes it a different voltage either up or down. Are you sure it didn't say resistor? Because that is a common thing for early Mallory stuff. I can't tell you exactly for the Super Mag. But if you call Joe Hunt I'll bet they can steer you in the right direction.

Happy Holidays,

Tim

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

4. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Don't know what they call em down under but a coil & transformer are the same thing, just physical appearance is different. Both have a primary winding and at least one secondary winding. The primary normally boosts a lower voltage (6/12v in automotive type) up in the secondary winding to several thousand volts, so this is a step up transformer (coil)

5. oj

oj

Yes, it is a transformer and a Mallory 28900A should do the trick although i would talk to Mallory - they are the ones that made the magneto. Go to thier website and shoot them an email and they'll get back to you but might take a day as the magneto part of mallory has been split off and they weren't fully organized when i last spoke to them.

6. TERPU

TERPU

I'll be dammed, learned something today. Thanks guys.

Tim

7. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

The best Mallory guy, bar none, is Len Hughes.....574-293-6688.....in Bristol, In........loves to talk, give him a call......

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

9. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

Thank you all ,long live the H A M B