Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. WCD

WCD

Dubbed the Bushmaster. The car ended up in the 70's as a show car of sorts, replete with tons of chrome and classic 70's era crazy psychedellic paint scheme.

2. WCD

WCD

Scuderia Spl from Washington.

3. WCD

WCD

Jim Ige and Mike Sassa's Sons of the Rising Son junior fuel team. Last guys to win jr fuel at Bakersfield in 1970. Behind them sitting in the staging lane are probably another two dozen similar jr fuelers ready to run-great class to the racing purist.

4. dmorago

dmorago

Jr Fuel was a great class, very consistent and few oil downs.

5. rcktscientist

rcktscientist
    from San Diego

Great class indeed, but I remember a picture of Jimmy Ige pitching the SBC clear out of the frame rails. Love nitro.

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jack Williams from Vancouver B.C., he brought it out of retirement to run at Fremont in the mid-80s, the chute failed to open and he crashed into the catch fence. He repaired it to perfection!

7. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I met Jeep Hampshire at Bakersfield in October and talked to him quite a bit. That guy is sooo COOL !:cool: He's the real deal.

He never had his name in lights but just as good as any of them.

8. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

you mean this little incident?

9. Ebert

Ebert

Thanks, Muttley!!!

10. Hydrazine!?! We had a Top Fuel FED '69-'71, and a lot of times the juniors would run just in front of us. There was a really active circuit here in Texas.
    Great little cars that many times were the best show of the weekend.:eek:

11. WCD

WCD

The picture of him blowing the motor was 71, when they ran combo-elim, a mixture of top gas, AA/FA and AA/GD and inj fuelers

12. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

13. 296ardun

296ardun

I think this is Jack Ewell's "Chubasco," after he painted it candy orange, from its original black, Fuller car, Jimmy Summers, the famous customizer, did the bodywork...it has been restored to its original black.

14. Muttley

Muttley

You are correct.

15. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

#34394 Definately took a bigun and made a bunch o little uns. LOL

16. WCD

WCD

Anyone know when M/T quit making engine components? I know he sold the connecting rods to Sid Waterman. At one point, one almost build entire motor from parts ordered through his catalog. He even sold chutes and fire suits.

17. Nes Synadinos

Nes Synadinos

Thanks for showing the Millwinders red 36 Ford Coupe. Picture was taken at the Paradise Mesa drag strip in San Diego in 1954 lined up against the Drifters 35 Ford Coupe 23jr The picture was staged for Hot Rod Magazine and wasn't a real start. The same picture was on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine in the November 1954 issue.

That day we were running Jack Ewell's Merc Ardun engine and he was driving because Emil Wurn and I did not want to take a chance of blowing his engine The car won the heavy coupe, fuel class at a good enough time to run off against a dragster in best of meet. In that run, the car lost traction and spun out of control and headed towards the crowd on the left side of the strip (including me). We were all running for our lives. Jack did a great job of finally gaining control. I realized that day that most strips of that era were unsafe. We had two other Ford engines we ran in that car and Emil Wurn and I usually drove. Both clubs were from Redondo Beach, CA. I'm 83 and still paying attention.

18. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

I'll be darned...this picture was taken at the SIR (Saskatoon Saskatchewan). We used to drive 120 miles each way to the races there, good memoried, thanks for posting.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  19. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

hopefully these are not re-posts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. They are, but at least not in the last 30 pages or so!

There was a magazine back in the '60s (Drag Strip, I think, but it could have been Drag Racing...can't remember right now) that was so dragster oriented that they despised the burgeoning AFX/funny car scene. They used these two images of the Terrifying Toronado in an article to "prove" why funny cars should be banned! They conveniently forgot about all those blower explosions in those FED's they loved so much...

21. noboD

noboD

I seem to remember a bunch of Corvette floppers going on their roofs too.

22. Twin engined gas dragsters, yum! KC's Motes & Williams
    [​IMG]
    (Unknown photographer)

23. Frakes & Funk
    [​IMG]
    (Sept. '70 Car Craft)

24. Ha! "Schmaltz Racing Team"
    [​IMG]

25. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Talk about too close for comfort. The # 3 picture of the Terrifying Toranado shows me the other side of the picture. The kid with the red hair and black jacket and white pants is me. And yes I was making my way North to avoid the car. The guy standing next to me with the cup in his hand is John Hill and the guy in the blue jacket is Ray Hill, Johns little brother. The car came to rest right where we were standing with the right front fender bulging out the chain link fence. What saved our butts was that speaker pipe that the car hit as it was clearing the guard rail. It twisted the car sideways. He was still on the throttle as he got the car on top of the rail. When he hit the pipe I was looking at that massive front bumper and thinking this is bad. There sure wasn't much time to react when that thing got squirly. That was the second time I amost died at Irwindale.
    Dan

26. WCD

WCD

We didnt go to Irwindale that day, but learned of it the next morning in the San Gabriel Valley Tribune. This serving as your 2nd victory over the Grim Reaper. What was the first?

27. I was talking to a guy a few years ago (5?) that said they were restoring the Hurst Hairy Olds. Never heard anymore about it. Anybody know if that came about and who it was that restored it? Sorry, minds shot...:eek:

28. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

29. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

WCD,
    I was sitting on the pit side just past the bleachers. We had parked our Chrysler up by the fence and I was sitting on the hood and leaning back against the windshield. A Falcon took off and when he shifted to third or fourth the clutch or flywheel exploded. A chunk of flywheel about 1/4 of the flywheel went through the windshield, tore through the front and back seats and landed in the trunk of the car parked next ours. Luckily no one was sitting on the hood of that car. The funny part was the guy who owned the car opened the trunk, saw the flywheel piece sitting there and reached down and picked it up. Or at least he tried to, it was very hot. I wonder how he explained how his car got all shot up like that. The hole in his windshield was exactly where I was sitting on our car. Dodged the bullet that day too. Of course a few years later I almost eat it a OCIR. I must have had good angels back then and now.

30. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Amazing Story Bonneville Avanti Dan..
    Never would have thot someone who survived the incident would chime in.
    Amazing story, glad you made it out unscathed,