Register now to get rid of these ads!

LA Business idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firemansteve, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Really?
    Drag Strips - Fontana is running the 1/4 mile again, Irwindale has the 1/8 mile, Famoso runs a regular program, TWO NHRA events at Pomona (how many other stips have 2 events?), Barona (San Diego area) to name a few - Sure it may not be Lion's OCIR and the Original Irwindale, but there are places to race!
    Speed Shops, especially for old hot rods are every where - Let's see, with in 30 minutes of my House - Santa Ana Speed Center, Fast Eddies, Reid's, Nostalgia Speed & Cycle, Team C, Speed-O-Motive, Service Center El Monte, Service Center Lomita, J&M Speed center, Orange Engine, Mooneyes, Westside Performance, J Bittle, Westech, Factory Motor Parts,Smokey's Speed Shop, Pettis Performance, oh yeah, and SO CAL SPEED SHOP. Just the one's I could think of.
    Crusin - Maybe not Whittier blvd, but Van Nuys and all the other cruises that you see in the Car Culture listing.

Sorry, but while it isn't the scene that the 50's and 60's had, it's still very good here and I'd have to say it is still the Biggest in the country, with only Austin coming close

2. southerncad

southerncad

Probably the Liability insurance on your tour vehicle would eat up most of your profits...
    ...not to mention fuel costs! But it does sound kinda' fun...

3. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Oh ya, well I live in Salt Lake City UT, and within 30 minutes of my house there is...... um....... let me think....... Ya ok, you got me. We have nuthin. The closest speedshops to me are the same one's you listed! lol..... California is great for hot rodding. It's the era, not the location that is hurting us.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have a firend that came to the US from Australia on a Shop Tour package. It was set up by a Ausie that had developed friendship with shops. He had a large van and would drive from shop to shop and to other So Cal 'locations'. He also set up the hotels. And as my firend had never been to the US and didn't know his way around it worked. But most of the group were 'Street Rodders' and was more HAMBer and some of the stops were no intrest to him. I saw him at Pomona and convinced him to ditch the crowd and he stayed with us for his final week. We gave him one of our cars to drive, once he learned to drive on the correct side of he street. Once away for the leash he had a great time. He has been back two more times and honestly has seen more of the US than I have.
    The bottom line, let the HAMB know you are coming and maybe something can be worked out for some tour time and directions instead of driving blind. And I also know that Rodders from outside the US tend to come during high event times, so a tour director would be sitting doing nothing for a number of weeks.

5. Actually Don,
    We didn't have a magazine but I still think that Nor Cal was the real capitol and So Cal just had a magazine. But that was a long time ago. I have since matured a lot and now I know that where I just happen to be at the time is the anything capitol of the world. I mean really where ever the Emperor is that is the capitol. :rolleyes: :D:D

Who really cares anyway if you can sell it to tourists it must be true.

6. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

I'm a California native{which is a rare thing} and it may not be what it used to be in the car scene,,but it's still an AWESOME place to see cars,go to car shows,and We do still have some top flight Hot Rod shops here!
    During the summer months there's a car show almost every weekend.
    "Firemansteve",,,have a great time here next year!

7. Killer,
    The car scene has changed everywhere. Some places are more active then they used to be and others are less active. It is just a time thing.

The Los Angeles basin is considered and accepted pretty much universally as the birth place of hot rodding. I am a little more traveled than most Californians it seems and have discovered that there was and is a lot of hot rodding going on in a lot of places that did not and do not get a lot of credit.

An industry like a hot rod tour bus or even selling hot rod maps and events scedual would work in LA where it would not work in other places just because of the fame that the Los Angeles basin has. Face it Witchita or Kansas City are just not destination spots.

It is probably 30% doing and 70% promotion. It would be far easier to promote SoCal than it would Kansas City.

8. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

When in the US earlier this year holidaying with the wife we did paid tours in Hollywood To look at over priced houses of the rich and famous,in Nashville around the city and grand ole opry,in New Orleans we did 2 tours one of the city and another of the swamps and we also did one in Mexico when we where there.People on holidays are prepared to spend money to see things,I'm not flying half way around the world(14hours in a plane) to sit in a hotel room.
    For someone who is into classic and hotrod cars,I would have no problem paying for a tour that encompasses everything hotrod.

9. pacoloco

pacoloco

Firemansteve, as a fellow Firefighter, let me know when you come to LA. I'd gladly take you and your boys for a cruise in my 49...

Los Angeles isn't what it use to be, (at least that's what I'm told) but Friday Nights at Bob's Big Boys and a late night cruise through Hollywood should definitely be on your "LA to do list".

And there are still some great shops to see, which would love to talk to you, in exchange for T-Shirt and Souvenir Sales. Make sure you take some time to go to the Desert and see "Gene Winfield" and if you guys really want an LA experience, make sure you go see Jessie at "Lordz of Customz"...

Attached Files:

• Merc.jpg
      Merc.jpg
      File size:
      356.7 KB
      Views:
  10. jfrolka

jfrolka

This is a good idea. I could think of a great route to take, but traffic would be the killer. There is a lot of great places to see all within about 50 mile area.

I would say to take the fly away from LAX to the san fernando valley and it would start from there and go out.

I wish we still had a nostalgia drag race going on at pomona and it would be one hell of a weeknd for a tourist.

Van nuys blvd.
    that old train station in north hollywood on lankershim
    Barris new shop
    Bob's in burbank, breakfast.
    Hollywood sign
    Dean Jeffries shop
    Sunset
    Petersons Museum
    Wilshire to the 10
    beat around downtown LA
    Train station by olvera street
    Olvera street for lunch
    Shoot thru pasadena, gamble house.
    Old Barris shop in Lynwood.
    Shoot south to the broiler
    hit up Mooneyes
    go to Lime works in whittier
    then bounce to pomona
    so cal speed shop
    finish at the nhra museum

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  11. rare32

rare32

I have been to LA 3 times in the last 3 years....

3 years ago we worked out our own shop tour
    11 shops/ cruises in 3 days.
    day 1
    Barry Whites speedshop
    Marcels I think it was across the road?
    then onto CW Moss
    Reids hot rods
    lunch in Anaheim
    Mooneyes
    Limeworks
    Danchuck
    Bobs Big Boy Downey (must have been a Tuesday)

next day we went to pomona area
    Planes of Fame (not quite cars but way cool)
    early ford store
    So-Cal pomona
    TCI
    Wally parks (the cruise in was on)

next day we did hollywood hot rods,
    peterson museum
    and a few others.

After 2 more trips and a lot more contacts I know a few more places I am happy to visit each year
    Alan Mest's place just a month back was awesome

they arent all HAMB down the line, but still car places all the same

we used the So-calcarculture website and the HAMB for some references first time
    Now as I have gotten to know the So-Cal and Mooneyes guys a lot better (dealers for both) they have pointed us to different places.

And thats just car stuff...we didnt have time for tourist stuff

Pretty sure the guys at Cruzin magazine Australia have a guy who does this sort of tour??

12. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Sounds great to me, I would love it! 65 bucks doesn't sound out of line either, I just paid 65 bucks each for my family and I to go on a zip line tour (in a cave) in Louisville, KY this summer. It was a blast, but it was over in an hour.

13. my doors are always open to visitors from all over the world..we get a few every week.. and i have no problem with it..SEE YOU WHEN YOU COME TO CALI..

14. scotts52

scotts52

I like the idea of including a map or tour of all the historical places. Where all the old shops, hangouts used to be, still are, and/or where they've relocated to. Call it the Hot Rod Nostalgic tour

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have lived in several other states around the country, and I can say, in all honesty, if you think that there is somewhere better over all, you're dreamin'.

I build hot rods and customs every single day of the business week. Number of problems I have ever had from politicians or other "authorities": zero. Not at all so in other states. I have had cars seized and gotten arrested in other states for driving "non-compliant" cars elsewhere.

Plus, I can go off-roading, surf and snowboard in the same 24-hour period, if I want, and drive my rod and motorcycle year-round.

I am a pierced and tattooed freak, and NOBODY here gives a damn, or really even notices. You can be you here, and be judged on the content of your character, and the work you do, and not what you look like. When I worked in tech, I had 3' bleached white dreadlocks on the top of my head, and made $130k/yr. Anywhere else, I'd be unemployable looking like that.

For me, at least, it is the best place. I will leave, if I do, feet first, carried by six.

16. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

I'm assuming this trip won't be on LSD?;)

17. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Funny this has come up.. Last year I ran a campaign to raise money for my business.. One of the "perks" was a tour of Kustom land.. It was just that a tour of Lynwood and throuout Los Angeles I all the spots that history is made.. One person bought the tour so I have to do it.. I spoke with brad Masterson and we hope to put together a tour for people to sign up for a price and get the ultimate tour meeting Barris and Hines etc..

Were looking at around Father's Day weekend for the tour..

stay tuned for Kustom Land Tours :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. I'm think it might go over like this,,, :D HRP

[​IMG]

49ratfink likes this.
  19. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Ha!! thats funny...

for now its only gonna happen once.. so will see how it goes...

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Ok so we put together the tour.. we only have limited 10 seats and they are getting reserved quick.. so if you want to come along and see the mecca of kustom cars order your ticket now!! www.madfabricators.com - Click the Shop button...

HERES THE POST ABOUT IT
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803857

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

dang free!!!!!!!!!!

22. You need to get out more.

California has 10 active drag strips... and more hot rods, Kustoms, car shows and swap meet than any other state.

In fact... what goes on in this state is probably 10 times more than the #2 state... whichever one that may be.

You just have to get out once in a while to see it all.

Sam

23. Get you one of these Evel ! :D

[​IMG]

24. Shipper Sel

Shipper Sel
    from SoCal

Firemansteve,
    Ive made lots of friends overseas, helping them get what they need. When they come here we do all the car stuff they can pack in their vacation (along with Disneyland stuff if they bring the kids!)

Hit me up when you're in town! I'll show you where the locals go!

25. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hey Guys
    A Hamber ( me ) is doing Classic Car and Motorcycle Tours around California now.
    Ride Free Classic Car and Motorcyle Tours
    http://Ridefree.com

A little different than what you are talking about.
    But we do custom tours, we take people around anywhere.

We have some planned where we hit the iconic hot rod spots, cruises, some shops, museums.... Dragstrips...... Even a trip to El Mirage or Bonneville. ...

26. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

More Car Things going on in Mooresville , NC
    America is a big , spread out country
    California was hip 30 years ago

27. I will open a hot rod shop someday, and thats not just a dream I WILL. And that is a great idea but thats hard on the east coast. I plan to move to Cali someday

28. Special Ed

Special Ed

Just for comparison ...
    Over 10% of the population of the US currently lives in California. (over 38 million)
    The population of Mooresville (less than 33 thousand) is about one/one thousandth of the US.
    I think that you may be incorrect in your assertion. We have more than a few "car things" happening out here ... :cool:

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  29. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

When does your tour start??

30. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Sounds like a great time. I might have to go! Fun way to spend a day.