Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Name a used part you paid too much for but "just had to have"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belairbubble, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Just curious to see whats out there for stories on a used part we paid too much for but "just had to have" for a project/completed car.. I can think of a few instances when i've run across parts/accessories that the guy wanted way to much for but at the time couldnt live without or needed right that second to advance the build. Please list prices paid if possible to set the stage..I will list a few examples of items I "had to have" and paid too much for to get things rolling:

1) Pair of rusted/peeled/bent 15x4 cragars $80---I just had to have for 56 gasser project mock up..

2) Front fenders for 61' belair totally shot and rusted $250---Could not find any fenders anywhere that had enough metal left in headlight area to make a template from with new metal for my 61 hardtop.. Im in Canada where rust attacked these cars to death!.. This was before repro sheetmetal was available for the headlight area.

I look forward to seeing your stories

2. Ter409

Ter409
    from NE Oregon

I bought a pair of long Ram intake manifolds off a Chrysler Big Block!! Just hanging on my garage wall, like art work. Coolest manifolds ever! When I was 15 years old in 1964 my old boss had a 300F Chrysler that I just loved. Always wanted the car but only can afford the manifold. I do have 2 spare 440s and a 413 so someday maybe! :DTer409

3. carmuts

carmuts

The Tool box assembly for my delivery. Paid $300 plus shipping. Hard to find part for sure, but with the right info I could have made it for about $50. It was in alittle worse condition than what I thought was discribed to me, but still fixable. Good to have original rare parts, but looking back I could have been smarter. Rod

4. About every part on my 34 five window

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just sent a little over $600 off today for a special part.. Keeping it top-secret for now.

I bought an Offy Chevy-to-Ford trans adapter for $150 or something and spent $100 to have some dude TIG a few cracks. Learning curve.

$2,000 for a pile of Model A parts - complete Sport coupe body, three extra cowls, all the patch panels for the bottom, all new subrails, a set of '35 wire wheels, set of mismatched Model A wires, a banjo rear end, a '46 Ford front axle set-up, a rolling (frozen rear banjo) A frame which I needed for the hot rod. I kept the patch panels, frame, and sold off most of the rest..

But it's all paid off as I've scored some real good stuff for cheaper than decent so I guess it all balances out.

6. rat nasty

rat nasty

$600 for a "GOOD" "just pulled her outta that ol street rod..." intake - pan 460 w/ c-6 that I changed my mind on and gave to a buddy to use in a OT mud race truck that he took apart to inspect it was perfect used "JUNK"

7. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

I've bought and sold the same 48 anglia body 3 times. Keeps coming back home.

8. captmullette

captmullette

my whole car $ 3500.00......only thing i used was the body

Attached Files:

9. TurboX2

TurboX2

A few years back I bought an aftermarket 34 Ford grill that wouldn't work on my car. So I hung it on the wall for a few years and then cut it down and narrowed it to fit a Dwarf racing car.

10. xon

xon
    from detroit

a complete 50 olds standard trans set up....i had been looking for ever and one came up on the otherside of the country so with shipping it was way more than i wanted to pay...than it seemed like overnight really good and close ones were falling out of the sky...go figure

11. I bought a rare carb for my collection and I thought I paid too much but the offers keep going up so I may do okay. I bought a Holley 3 Barrel new in the box a year ago or so and thought it was so cool. On furter inspection I found out it was not the common 930cfm version but the rare 1050cfm version, made for 1969 NASCAR racing for a factory race carb.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. A headlight bucket for my 32 Chevy.Paid too much and then had to have it rechromed on top of it.Oh well...If you need it you need it.

13. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

Several years ago, I bought a C-4 trans. from a first generation econoline. Bought it online from a salvage yard in Ohio. $150 plus $150 freight. Never made the conversion and have since sold the '62 that it was going to go in. I ended up giving it to a freind who will most likely also, NEVER use it!

14. A factory AM/FM radio for my '65 GTO. Saw one for $150.00 at Carlisle back in 1983 and thought it was crazy priced. Finally bought one in 1999 for $1000.00

Hey, like the thread's titled, I had to have it!

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I second that Rocky! And mine's full fendered, though I did make out 'okay' on the steel fenders and a set of repro running boards.
    I really rolled the dice on the boards as I just couldn't step up to a $1000 set of repro running boards. Found and bought a drivers side new in the box, then looked for about 2 years and lucked out and found/bought a new in box passenger side!

16. Tommy454

Tommy454

A few years ago I paid $750 for a NOS Offy Crossram for a big block Chevy.

17. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

A 1958 Chevrolet Impala steering wheel, the one with the chrome completely circular horn ring, which then had to be painted in red metal flake, and a custom centre emblem…….Well, you get the idea.
    Paul

18. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

I just paid $150 for a 56 ford grill, cat eye parking lights and hood support. Didnt really need them but just felt like i should have them as a backup (lotsa deer out this way).

19. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

1936 Ford Club Cabriolet and every virtually part I've bought for it's restoration.
    BUT I knew this when I bought it.
    Had to, had to, had to have it.....and had to restore it.....Yes, I must be crazy!!
    Dr. Bruce/CT

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

'40 Lincoln Zephyr dash.....Sold it later and actually made a few bucks!

21. For my '57 Ford..back a few years ago I paid 360. for a set of new forged upper control arm shafts from a biggie in repro parts for our '57's. Later found out Kanter will add them to a front end rebuild kit for around 100. for the pair. Still pisses me off.

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i would say ... bumper to bumper !!!

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

An old late 60's-early 70's Holley Pro Dominator all polished out. Paid $450, and could have gotten a new modern tunnel ram for the same, or less for used. But just had to have this for the 327 in my gasser!
    [​IMG]

24. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Bought a complete dash for a 1961 Chrysler 300 (the bubble dash), sectioning it for my daughter's truck, paid $500 for it, but they are hard to find and she LOVES it. The things we do for our kids.

25. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

800.00 dollars for driver side front fender for my 1958 ford fairlane with rusted out bottom. but i needed it!!

26. Any part for a 55-57 T Bird is overpriced :mad:

Oldmics

27. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Turn sig. stalk for a 1969 Lincoln Mk3 I'm restoring to original.
    Was looking for 3 years for a NOS, found one, $500.00 !
    Still looking.

28. williebill

williebill

Jimmy Jones skirts
    Original Dan Post books
    Edelbrock Y block stuff
    Appletons
    The list goes on and on...
    Don't regret any of it. Stuff is more fun than money...

29. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Weiand W671 6X2 blower adapter, But I just had to have it! if the wife ever finds out how much I paid I will be in sheepdip

Attached Files:

30. I never think I gave too much for a part because I only give what I can afford but I am sure that i can think of a couple of gotta have parts were probably not such a good diea.

just off the top of my head I did by an oddball intake for a Boss 302 once. I probably didn't give too much for it but I didn't own a Boss 302 at the time nor have I owned one since. :eek: