Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Ford F100 4x4 Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TBUCKETMILLER, Dec 17, 2012.

1. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

Just picked up this 1959 Ford F100 4x4 project. Made mistake of not looking at it before getting it. It has a little more rust than anticipated but will have to make it work.

Attached Files:

2. spot

spot
    from usa

Well it looks like it is mostly there and I've seen a lot worse. What are your plans for it?

3. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

I am planning on restoring it to original condition. Just trying to decide where to begin.

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

5. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

Are factory 4x4 1959 Ford F100's pretty rare. I don't see to many posted on the net. The rust is mostly confined to the floor of the cab on my truck.

6. servi53

servi53

looks cool, good luck and take lots of pictures

7. elroy

elroy

59 was the first factory 4x4, earlier ones were marmon-harrington.
    If you need inspiration ertl made a 1/18 die cast of that very truck

8. Bit hen truck! Wish mine was 4x4

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Yep first year, looks pretty damn good to me!

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Wish I had one too! Sure would be cool to have one for driving in the winter time.. Heck, even year round. Came across this in town a couple weeks ago..

[​IMG]

Found these two pictures on here..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Those old highboys just scream TUFF!

12. schutejame

schutejame
    from london

I am planning on restoring it to original condition. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. schutejame

schutejame
    from london

Yep first year, looks pretty damn good to me![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

Those are cool 4x4 trucks,I am thinking about buying a 60' I found....six and three on the tree...dana 60 rear.

15. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

I am going to start with trying to get the old 292 y-block unstuck and running. The guy I got it from said it ran 10 years ago so I imagine it will run again with a little work. Right now can't even turn it over by hand so need to unstick it first.

16. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

Here is a pic of the inside after I cleaned up a ton of old rat poop.

Attached Files:

17. Theres lots of good info here on getting an engine unstuck, have fun, I love getting engine running that are stuck/not working.

Killer truck, I have really warmed up to those years.

18. this one was on craigslist

Attached Files:

19. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

Here is a picture of my truck after a good bath. Looks good from far away but lots of rust in cab floor and around front windshield. I think the rats that were in it pooped above the headliner and it sat in there for years causing the rust.

Attached Files:

20. willymakeit

willymakeit

Not common. I think most were a NAPCO conversion.

21. elroy

elroy

Napco was the builder for GM till I think 55. M H did fords from WW1 to 59

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

23. Rob68

Rob68

My 58 has rust in the floors as well. Also look behind the fuel tank. I found a very small amount of rust there also. Lower fender rust out is pretty common on these also. Good luck with it

Here's what the rust in my 58 looks like. (Gotta find someone who can help me with that)

Attached Files:

24. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

That rust is minor compared to the rust in floors of mine. I will get some pictures tonight. I just had my son crack open the oil drain plug and some nasty water/oil mixture came out. This truck hasn't ran for atleast 10 years. I don't know if I should just try to get it to run or just yank the engine out and rebuild it.

25. willymakeit

willymakeit

Thanks for correction. NAPCO was the one that came to mind.

26. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

Got the plugs out last night. Engine is stuck pretty good. Think I am going to buy some diesel fuel tonight and put down in spark plug holes and let it soak. Does anyone have a successful story they can share and let me know what you did to get your engine un-stuck.

27. carmuts

carmuts

My highschoole buddy has one. I have tried to buy it many times, but he does not want to sell it. It is an original 223 4spd 4X4. It runs good, but is missing both doors. I have been hoping for a long time that he would restore it since he does not want to sell it. But much like his 73 LT Camero it sits in the weeds behind his house. Rod

28. blucar

blucar

I have been messing with the '59-60 Ford F100 4x's for about twenty years, I currently have three..
    The '59 Ford 4x's were the first factory built 4x's that Ford made, except for the military units of WWII.. Prior to '59 all of Fords 4xs were Marmon-Harrington conversions.. GM used Napco conversions..
    The trucks have some very unusual features, not found on the regular F100-250-350 trucks.. The cabs have added diagonal bracing in the corners of the cab at the rear corners adjacent to the fuel tank. The front clip, core support and fenders is spring mounted in lieu of being bolted directly to the frame..
    The standard gear ratio for the F100 was 3.89, F250 and 350 are generally 4.56.. As a general rule the differentials will be Dana 44's (F100) with the front and rear drive shafts being inter-changable.. Ford did this on purpose...
    The 4x's had a long list of extras, limited slip, padded dash/visors/seat belts, (safety package) dual heaters (winter package) plus the normal custom cab features..
    All three of my '59's are custom cabs, V8, 4spd, 2spd transfer case.. My best one, pix attached, is a big window cab.. The only one I have ever seen..
    I have a lot of parts for the '59-60 Ford trucks, three extra beds, some doors, heaters, radios, delux steering wheels, etc..
    If you truck has the standard Gemmer steering gears, most of them did, you can replace the steering gears with a unit from a '59 Chevy, the Sag gears were a special option on the HD 4x's and the panel/Courier, intended for emergency vehicle conversions...

Attached Files:

29. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

Thanks for the info. It is good to talk with people that have the experience you do. I do need some front fenders. I have not seen anywhere available in the catalogs. Mine is a custom cab small window with 292 y-block, 4 speed trans. I traded my 1972 F100 long bed that has a blown engine straight across for this one. Think I did ok on the trade.

30. blucar

blucar

The front fenders for the '59-60 F100/250 4x's fit the 4x's only.. The attachment bolt to the cowl is completely different from the regular pickups.. The fender has an external dip at the lower edge, a visible carriage bolt is used in lieu of the concealed bolt that comes in from the rear of the fender..
    The 4x fenders are not as prone to rust out in the lower portion like the regular fenders..
    What is wrong with your fenders? Not to many aftermarket parts are made for the '58-60 Ford trucks... The '61-66 trucks are just about as scarce, especially the 4x's..
    I have a '66 F250 4x, they only made about 2,500 of these trucks..
    I've had a big love affair with the '59 Ford pickups every since 1959, a company that I worked for gave me a new one in '59... It was a great truck.. I've pretty well had a '59 every since..
    PM me if you have more questions..