Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any idea how much $$$ to re do a front seat for a 56 buickI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Dec 17, 2012.

1. I have a 1956 buick special station wagon and i am on a fixed income.I was wondering how much it would take to have the front seat redone? Thanks Bruce.:cool:

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

No offense, but that's like calling a dentist and saying you have a toothache, how much is it going to cost to make things right!
    What type of upholstery do you want?
    What material?
    Is the seat in otherwise good shape/
    Too many ifs!
    KK

3. sun down

sun down
    from tx

depends, if you take it to Mexico, pretty cheap

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Bruce, I had the front and rear seats reupholstered on my Nomad. It was $1200 but included some major repair on the front seat frame. All new foam, etc

5. ibuild

ibuild

alot depends on the part of the country you live in, i am also on a fixed income, retired but had mine done for $250.00 no major work on seat, for my 38 pickup hope that helps, I didn't get the biggest or the baddest but it looks good and i am happy, good luck

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

$600 to $800 around here, depends on material.

7. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

I do upholstery for a living and if someone calls me and asks how much to recover a bench seat (pickup, '56 Buick wagon, etc) I will quote $600-$800. As mentioned before, if I have to rebuild foam, repair the seat frame, etc, it will lean towards the $800 mark. This is for vinyl, most velour-style cloths, or both. Some body cloths and leather will cost more.

8. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I was going to say,not less than 400,not more than 1000.Depending on codition and materials.Your locale may vary,as well as quality.Good luck..

9. 1959apache

1959apache

thats pretty high for out here. Lets just look at material costs... if foam is used is can be upwards of 200 bucks just for that. At least 100-150 for materials and time for the cover if you are going cheap. If you are planning on doing it in some kind of vinyl then you are looking at probably 300-500 bucks depending on what you have done. It also depends if they have to spend time fixing your seat. My quote is just if the seat is in good enough shape physically to recover... If not, it maybe 500-800 depending on what time they have in it.

10. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know what "fixed income" means, but I'm guessing you don't have a ton to spend. In that case, I would look into getting a pre-sewn seat upholstery cover and installing it yourself.

The Tex Smith upholstery book is a good one to learn how to do simple stuff like that, and there's a lot of good tech on the HAMB as well. Granted, I have a fair amount of experience in repairing seats and installilng seat upholstery, but I did the seats in my '52 Ford (front and rear bench) using a kit for under $400, including all new padding.

11. Thanks for all your input guys Bruce.