Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rise from the Ash and kick some A.S.S. :-) Update from TUCK-----> Check it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Years from now, those kids will remember you.

2. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Good for you working with kids! You should talk to Kevin Bass if you haven't already. He probably has some words of wisdom for when things get tough in that line of work. Good to see things are going your way.

3. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

4. havi

havi

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

That is bitchin. Those kids will learn so much, doesn't have to come in a kit.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Tomorrow I'm headed down to the Cities to pick up the big three.... a chicago brake, pexto shear and a power pexto slip roll! I'm pretty excited! I got a deal on all three together- Should be able to make anything with this stuff now-

I've been kind of obsessed with buying tools back... like its all I think about sometimes- just trying to figure out how to barter and trade and work my way up to get something bigger on the list.

I have a power bead roller, shinker stretcher and a beverly shear... started working on some other metal shaping tools inspired by Dan Pate-

Tokyo and I made some tool bases out of brake drums-(filled with cement and weigh a TON) We made them so you could interchange tools in the stand. Male and Female type plug in... that way you can have more stuff you can hang on the wall until you're using them. I plan on making a table that plugs in that holds my shot bag, one for the shear, another for the shrinker stretcher etc...

I bought a gallon of industrial gray and primer to blast and paint some of the new equipment. I'd like to get everything looking new and staged before moving it into place in the shed.

I'm getting a bridgeport from a friend but its missing a couple parts for the X and Y axis that someone robbed for another machine... otherwise it works perfect- I got into it cheap enough I'm hoping that I can find someone with some parts and get it back online for under a grand.

He also sold me another drill press for a hundred bucks- its a delta rockwell 16-700. I brought it into Perrys hoping we can put it to use there.

A while ago I was lucky to get some vintage hammer handles from JonnyCola here on the hamb- they RULE! I restored the hammer heads I found in the fire.... along with some dollys and spoons- I somehow lost a couple dollys.

That vice actually came out of the fire pretty good- I had to reharden the handle- otherwise I've been using the shit out of it and so far so good!!

I'll have some other tools that I picked up over the summer that I'll post pics of tomorrow- I think getting all the tools will be some great motivation to finish the shop.

Its gonna be a good year! I can't wait for tomorrow----->

Happy New Year to all my pals here on the Hamb!

Tuck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  7. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Good deal Tuck ! Glad to see the progress on the tools for the garage...............Littleman

8. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

Just read your thread and it is very inspiring. I'm in and hope to meet you someday.

9. Hey, can I get into your 8th grade class!!! You as a teacher, that rules!

10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

On our way home.....

Attached Files:

11. chigger

chigger

Awesome, I am sure those kids really appreciate you stepping up and teaching them. Needs to be more people with knowledge willing to teach to younger ones.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi Tuck.All the best to you and yours for the new year.Glad to hear that things are going well for you.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

13. Muttley

Muttley

Looks like you will have plenty of stuff to keep busy with in the shop this Winter........................I'm guessing there isnt much else to do way up there in the far reaches of the frozen Northlands since the NHL is on strike. ;) :D

14. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

haha- yeah... I stopped watching Hockey when the North Stars moved to Texas and became the Lone Stars... Its cool Texas got em I guess... but Texas and Hockey just seems wrong. :p Like a cowboy on figure skates!

Thanks for the comments guys- :)

I was going to post more pics yesterday but we got home too late- and it was so cold loading that stuff I think I chapped the lips right off my face. His shop was on a hill and the -0 wind cut right though you... long johns only do so much...

Cool thing is that all of that sheet metal equipment has been owned by that guy for the last 30 years... and he bought it from the place he used to work when that company went out of business. It was in a laboratory and received light use. That company bought it new in 1961- I was looking at the serial numbers and they jive with his story- they're all stamped 61 on them.

The brake bends nice and straight- and the blade on the shear cuts like butter! The slip roll is 3 phase but came with the hand cranks too- I just found out we have 3 phase at the road so I'm going to see what it costs to get it run to the shop. :) That could change everything!!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

wow man, you sure are making some major strides. awesome collection of stuff. i'd like to add to my tool collection too. i need to kick some cars out of here...

16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

So up until now I've been getting by with plastic bins and rolling shelves to store my tools... I ended up getting this Homak with proceeds from Bob Bleed and that fund raiser they had building Dan's frame. They had them marked down over Christmas with another in store hundred bucks off- I haven't had a chance to put anything in it yet... but its in the garage!!! I can't wait to empty those bins! I'm not much of a snap on box guy... I had all craftsman boxes before... hard to justify even spending money on a box until you try and work out of bins for a while- :) This one should last me the rest of my life and it was cheap! Its all ball bearing-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that's so tasty.

18. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

That is Rad! The equipment and the box...

19. gonzo

gonzo

I can't believe a Prius can tow a tandem axle trailer like that, you must've souped that hybrid up good!
    [​IMG]

20. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Cool box...awesome frame...Bob Bleed rules.

21. havi

havi

Well, he is a hot rodder afterall, lol.

22. Mooseman

Mooseman

Holly thread resurrection batman, or in this case Tuckman. I could not read this thread without commenting. The awesomeness of this thread goes beyound all known levels.

Your roadster body looks like it is in great condition. I hope I can get mine to be in that kind of shape.

23. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

UPDATE:

I axed my facebook a couple years ago but I have instagram if anyone wants to follow along-

http://instagram.com/hollywoodtuck

I had a representative from the Minnesota Department of Education come and find me in my PLC meeting yesterday because she wanted to see the face behind all of the big changes that were happening in the Tech Ed program here- she called it "Authentic Intellectual Work"... really gave me a boost because I've been working at the school until 11pm almost every night, I come in two hours early and on weekends trying to get things fixed, cleaned up and have been writing fresh curriculum...

Danielle works until 10:30pm so she usually stops in on her way home from work and we drive back together-

Besides a few people- Danielle, my Mom (who teaches here also) and my Principle (well lets not forget hambers) there probably aren't too many people that actually care what I'm doing down here.

I came into a situation where the teacher before me ended up in treatment for alcohol- and this whole program had been run into the ground.

I came from a high school with a heavy technology program and it had a huge impact on my life... When I realized that these kids didn't have anything going on I kind of freaked out- and I've been trying to change that ever since. #1... I havent forgot what its like to be a kid... #2... I want them all to enjoy learning.

Instead of worrying about it- I just rolled up my sleeves and went to work. I think I've spent about a grand (of my own money) on books so far just so I was up to speed on everything. I've been like a sponge... just soaking it all up.

One of the first big things I tackled curriculum wise was Safety. I have an operating procedure, safety rules, and test for each tool. I keep all of this stuff in a binder for each with a teacher reference page so if anyone ever takes my place they don't have to go though what I did.

Been dreaming up a lasalle transmission cut-a-way with a hurst shifter to show how gearing changes output speeds/how they mesh and turn and change output speed... :) along with a F-1 steering box cut-a-way to illustrate how a worm gear works and a working model to illustrate a rear differential for the 7th graders next year-

I'm also going to build a wind tunnel for the 8th grade C02 cars so I can illustrate fluid dynamics and the effect of drag... I really want to bring in more physics so that its not just a glazed over lets cut up a piece of wood to go fast...

I bring in every subject I can into this class- I even talk about torque vectors when I go though router safety... how to curl your fingers into the direction of the rotating spindle and your thumb is the direction the torque is aimed... I let them all twist the router back and forth while its running so they can actually feel the torque work with and against them-

I gave each of my 8th graders some ownership and they each have their own work station in our lab to decorate however they want- since that happened... kids have been coming in before and after school to work in here. :) :) :)

This job was only going to run until spring- but they have me on the schedule for next year and don't want me to leave...

Feels good all around.

So at the end of the day... that fire was a big fork in the road----->

Feels pretty good having a positive impact on students like this- didn't expect to enjoy this that much.

Tuck

P.S. I'll have a booth in Texas at the Roundup next to Bleed- if you're going to be there come find me and say hi-

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

"I gave each of my 8th graders some ownership and they each have their own work station in our lab to decorate however they want- since that happened... kids have been coming in before and after school to work in here. :) :) :)"

That's the best part, right there...good work, Tuck.

25. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I saw your classroom via instagram. Tip o the hat man!

26. draider

draider
    from Texas

Very cool, Tuck. Glad to hear you're having such an impact on those kids. Good on ya.

27. Mooseman

Mooseman

Thats awesome, I would go back in time and go to high school all over again if it meant being in a class like that.

28. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Tuck is AWesome

29. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

it's funny how things in your life that are a huge devistation at the time seem to work its way into an even greater and more satisfying plan than before. I belive that we are given these devistations as a test of our strengths. and it is a way to really show ourselves what we are made of. and truly what the meaning of life is. I belive you have found that meaning there Tuck! you are a giver of life and purpose through education. I will always remember my shop teacher as showing me what it is I need to do in life.

Great Job!

30. I said it before in this thread that these kids will remember you.
    fire, fork, one door burns down, another appears before you,
    and it looks like you've kicked it wide open.
    Good for you and the kids!
    I will come meet you at LSR