Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie from IA.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by pontpwr, Dec 16, 2012.

1. pontpwr

pontpwr

New to the board but not to vintage iron. Latest project is restoring Jerry Stealy's/ Jerry Heiser's "Nemesis Two" National record holding 68 Pontiac Tempest Safari wagon. It was a terror around the midwest in the 70's and 80's. I used to watch it run when I was younger and always loved the wheelstand launches. I had been searching for it for about 15 years and finally located it. I plan on putting it back on the strip where it belongs. It was white with woodgrain on the sides. I believe there is already a few pictures of the car on this site. Anyway, thanks for having me.

2. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome from Dubuque, IA

3. Hates Chrome

Hates Chrome
    from Iowa

Welcome aboard.

4. carryallman

carryallman

whats the story on the car ?i remember it -! who had it and what shape did you find it in ? just curious ?:cool:

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Howdy from the west coast of Florida.

Please post a few shots of the cars because I also seem to remember a car like that.

Thanks for keeping the memories alive. Jimbo

6. Master of None

Master of None

Welcome from Rockwell city, Ia.

7. Phil 41 Chevy

Phil 41 Chevy

Welcome from Washington, Iowa!!!!!:)

8. pontpwr

pontpwr

There are 2 pics of the wagon on this site already, in an older post. On top of this page, click search and type in "let's see station wagon race cars", click go, the post is the first one on the page, click it, the wagon is on page 4, #62. It's the white wagon with woodgrain on the sides with no name doing a huge wheelstand. I will post some pics later of the resto. Jerry Stealy built and campaigned the wagon from 1973-78, under the name "Nemesis Two" and set 2 National Records in AHRA and 2 in IHRA. His crewchief, Jerry Heiser, bought the wagon from Stealy in 78, removed the name, and campaigned it in NHRA SS/KA and set 1 national record. He ran the car until 1992, then sold it, and it dissappeared, until I finally tracked it down 2 years ago. It was sitting in an enclosed trailer. It was pretty rough shape but I bought it. It didn't have a motor or tranny but still retained it's body and 4-link rear suspension. I currently have the body, underneath, and suspension finished. Now I'm just saving my money to buy the woodgrain vinyl for the sides.

9. haychrishay

haychrishay

Welcome from Des Moines, Iowa

10. Welcome from Susan & Larry in the Mo. ;)zarks

11. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Hi
    From Batavia, Iowa. I remember this car at Eddieville drag strip

12. Veach

Veach

Welcome from Texas and Thanks for Saving another one

13. chubbie

chubbie

NW Iowa says hello and welcome to the HAMB

14. carmak

carmak

Welcome from Riverside, Iowa

I am restoring a 68 GTO and have a 71 GTO and a 69 428 Bonneville convertible.

Carmak

15. IAVWGUY

IAVWGUY

Welcome from Sioux City, Ia.

16. rryan5429

rryan5429
    from sd

Welcome from South Dakota.
    Would love to see some pics of the car. My father and I know Jerry pretty well along with his son Jeff. Both tough racers but wonderful guys. We've raced against them many times. Good luck.

Rick

17. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

18. out plowing

out plowing

Welcome from up the road in Waverly.

19. pontpwr

pontpwr

Thanks rryan5429, Jerry was living in the Quad Cities up until this spring when Jeff passed away from cancer. He is selling his machine shop and moved to Cedar Falls earlier this year. I have been talking to him on a regular basis while I have been restoring the wagon. He lives about 25 miles from me and has been up to see the wagon and I had him sign the dash. Him and his wife Judy were very emotional when they saw the wagon. He thought the car was junked a long time ago. I had him sit behind the wheel again and he had a smile from ear to ear. The car is currently about 85% done. I am currently building a killer 400 for it, just like Jerry had. Hopefully this summer, When I am finished, I am hoping to have Jerry make another pass down the strip with it.

20. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Welcome from Waterloo/Cedar falls man!

21. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

22. rryan5429

rryan5429
    from sd

We're hoping to make it to Cedar Falls for the NHRA open in August. Hopefully Jerry can make it out there. I would also love to see the wagon. My father remembers running against it at thunder valley way back when. I was curious what they were going to do with the shop with Jeff gone. Best of luck on the build and look forward to seeing it hopefully.

Rick