Register now to get rid of these ads!

A gripe about Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Dec 16, 2012.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Why am I hungry??

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thats why I quit building hotrods every day! I keep having relapses.

3. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

My advice to all of us is to begin drinking heavily.:D

Attached Files:

4. Deuces

Deuces

......:D:D:D
    Want some garlic bread to go with that???...:D

5. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Imagine how the new Camaro/Vette/Mustang/Challenger guys feel...

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So true. Had one guy say I was showing off, when I stopped to get gas.

Hard to be original, when a kid working at Mac Donalds has a muscle car just like yours.:D

7. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I think ZRODZ is right. You want something different and cutting edge but if you do you will be burned at the stake by the Traditional police. Thats one of the great things about Garlits. He was a trends setter who didn't seem to care what anyone else thought....

8. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to.”

― Jim Jarmusch

9. HHmmmm......Lasagna... and garlic bread....
    Oooopps- back to post-
    Build a 32,a 55,ar a 49-51 merc. Try to be a "one of a kind".
    It's all been done before.
    Sometimes not going "outside the box" or- re-creating what what was then might surprise you.
    Make things yours,and don't give a sh$t what others think.
    Back to the pasta- I'm hungry.:)

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like that. I once had a mentor photographer tell me not to worry about who did it first, but who did it best. Gary

11. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Hey gang, great responses. Don't get ne wrong, I love my car; really just thinking aloud. I know hotrods rock and are fun as a whip. I also know it takes a certain breed to put em together and that means in a lot of ways, we are all on the same page- in fact that is why I get all my questions answered, because someone has been there and done it already. I am going to post a bunch of picks this holiday break. Happy Holidays to all.
    Pork

12. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

13. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

14. kennb

kennb

No two are alike, unless you're cloning, as in maybe the batmobile. Every car has it's own features that are unique to itself. Ken

15. Pigiron

Pigiron

Ya young punk! Ya every see the "Speed Sport Roadster"?

16. Its supposed to be fun, fuck being original. Make you car fun to drive.

17. tnich123

tnich123

Isn't the idea to enjoy building it then drive the shit out of it?? so what if you used some ideas you like from another truck... no matter how big the car show is theres a very small chance you will see another one like yours.
    another alternative is counseling!!

18. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

As the saying goes, "there's nothing new under the sun" and seeing how I quoted somebody, somewhere, the point is? Well, I guess the point is respect tradition, pick a period with which to build and make it as light and as fast as you can. I have a 31 roadster that I want to build like a WWII vet would have built in the 50's. Does that mean I can't use a T5 behind the flathead, hell yes it does, but I'm a vet returning from Afghanistan having served in the "Army Air Corps" and I want to drive on the highway so I make excuses for myself. And besides its under the car. I tried to build my 61 Comet in a way that was original yet traditional but wanted to go fast and stop quick. The parts available were easy to find and definetly OT but tempting and cheap. When complete though, nothing seems out of sorts and has the "look" of an older car.

Still, there is alot of room for improvement, but remember that stuff like a Watts link was developed from the likes of James Watt circa 1800 and is used today under pretty good suspensions.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what was the question?

20. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Who had the best Legs on Ya recipie

21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

TRADITION! Why, without tradition, life would be as shaky as a fiddler on a roof.

22. hallrods

hallrods

I understand what your saying. The term streetrod comes to mind cookie cutter cars they all look the same.On the traditional hot rod side how many times can you build a model a coupe on a deuce frame and be traditional and something different. I'm not knocking the model a on a 32 ford frame i'm building one it's just getting harder to pick your own car out in a sea of them.

23. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I think hot rods are hot rods and thats what they are. Some things while fast and cars and sometimes old, arnt hot rods. I would like to see more coachbuilding.

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

or hot rod a "Smart" car.

25. I think Lajos Egri (in the Art of Dramatic Writing) says, when it all comes down to it, there are only 36 possible plots, and yet, look how many movies they still make; look how many books...

26. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

"this is my [hot rod]! There are many like it, but this one is mine...........!

Attached Files:

27. Well two ways to look at it.

One is that as traditional roders we are doing something that has already been done.

Another is that are just so many things that can be done and they have been done so if you are building a modern rod you can only do a variation of what has already been done.

A thought on the second way of looking at is that if you are building a modern rod why are you here? :rolleyes:

28. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

At some level, I share your feelings. I used to want a 32 roadster but today I am bored with 32 with highboys, it's like tri-5 chevys, there just isn't anything you can do that hasn't been done over and over. Maybe that's why those rustrods get so much attention from the generally uneducated public (You know, the ones who didn't get the memo they really aren't cool)