Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surges when NOT under a load

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fisher, Dec 16, 2012.

1. fisher

fisher

302 Ford with a 4100 4 barrel surges while at constant speed not under a load. I have reset float level, timing is good,spark plugs look good, new wires and points. I have checked for vacuum leaks. Idles fine and good on acceleration. I just purchased the car so I have no knowledge of the history but all parts look fresh and in good condition. Any ideas what might be the problem?

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Vacuum leak. Had an older carb leaking past the throttle shafts,but could be anywhere.

3. Might be a ruptured diaphragm in the vacuum advance for the distributer.

Charlie Stephens

4. fisher

fisher

Just checked the vacuum advance. It is new and no leaks. I'v also sprayed either around the base and shaft pivots and they seem to be ok.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Had something similar happen on one of my cars and it ended up being fuel pressure related. The stock style replacement pump would increase pressure with RPM and start to flood at speed. Could also be the opposite and a starvation problem.

6. Judd

Judd

Economizer valve in the carb is bad I'd bet. I had this same thing in a Mustang with this carb.

7. fisher

fisher

is replacement of the economizer vavle the only way to diagnose if that is the problem

8. fisher

fisher

Could be a fuel supply issue. Lines still have pressure in them after shtting the motor off but do not have a pressure gauge on the motor.

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

10. 61 chevy

61 chevy

check fuel filter

11. fisher

fisher

Not sure if it is lean or not. Not sure how to tell.

12. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

disconnect vac adv &drive it>>>>>>>>>>>>

13. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

All good suggestions, but look very closely at the breaker plate in the distributor. You did not state what year the engine is, but alot of Fords in the late sixties, early seventies would wear the breaker plate pivot bushings, which causes erratic dwell, and will give a real weird fluttery miss. Also check the shaft bushings in the distributor as this will also cause the same deal. Hook up a dwell meter and hold the RPMs where the miss is and see if the dwell isn't all over the place. Another symptom of this is, if you disconnnect the vacuum advance it will run better because the breaker plate isn't moving around.

14. fisher

fisher

Thanks, I'll check th dizzy leter this evening

15. DrJ

DrJ

If surges at around 35-40 mph and it has an EGR valve plug the hose to it to see if that's it.

16. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

My Plymouth 360 was having a similar issue and ended up being the distributor

17. treyrags

treyrags

What do you mean "timing is good"? If you have anything other than a stock type cam your timing curve needs to be mofified. Sounds like either a lean surge as above post mentioned or your timing is "hunting". If your cam has more duration than stock you need more intial spark advance and your advance curve needs to be quicker. Your vacuum advance will also need to be set so that its not oscillating while cruising (hunting). Since you don't know the history of the car you probably don't know the cam specs. I would start by disconnecting the vacuum advance and set your initial at 16 and see if it does the same thing so you can at least eliminate that possibility. Problems like this are almost always immediately blamed on the carb and usually are something else. That 4100 is a good carb, especially on engines not heavily modified.

18. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Its probably in one of the responces above but another possibility.though slight, could be a worn timing chain and sprockets. Normal Norman

19. fisher

fisher

Thank you for all your responses! I believe that most suggestions point to the ignition. I will investigate all the areas noted above and appreciate any more suggestions given. I will post the solution once I have corrected it.

20. Is everybody certain that it's an engine performance issue and not a tranny issue?

21. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

IF all else fails try putting some bigger jets in the primary side. Might be running lean.

22. I'm pretty sure this is it. To check pull the cover of the diaphragm under the carb body in the front and look for fuel on the cover side of the diaphragm. A common problem with 4100s.

23. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Had a similar experience with one of my cars, it was too much advance. Put some heavier advance springs in and it solved the problem.

Pete

24. Weak coil can mimic rich condition.

Modern fuel is lighter than the stuff it was designed for: might need to lower float level.

Vacuum!! vacuum!! vacuum!! Hook up a gauge and read it at idle, while driving, coasting, etc. This can tell a lot.

Cosmo

25. fisher

fisher

Had some time to work on all the suggestions. Only a couple things have made it run smoother. This is what I have found:
    1. Distributor advance was running on ported vacuum. Switch it to manifold vacuum and it ran worse. Manifold vacuum is a steady 15-18 inches. Ported vacuum was not as steady and slightly lower, 10-12 inches.
    2. Dwell stays steady at all rpm's at about 28 degrees.
    3. Disconnected vacuum advance and set timing up to about 10 BTC (was set at 6 per stock engine specs) and it ran better but not great.
    4. Sprayed starter fluid on all the seams and shaft pivots. No change in RPM. In fact spraying it down the carb throat made no rpm change.
    5. Visual inspection of the distributor shows no excessive bushing wear and as I said dwell was very steady.
    What I have succeeded in doing is making it run even rougher at idle as well as the surge under no load exccept when set up like item 3 above. I focused on the ignition rather than the carb. I checked nothing on the carb that was recommended yet but it is my thoughts that it is more ignition than fuel. HELP!