Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sitting and Rotting.............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jan 31, 2009.

1. RayMiller

RayMiller

Look at all those tri 5's sitting out there crazy! And the dodge red ram, I wonder how cars end up like that, just abandoned.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

why have all those Chevy's and let them rot??????? why????????????

3. 46stude

46stude

Because at some point in time, all they were were old junkers to folks.

My dad & grandfather cut up prolly 20 '57 210 two-doors back in the late '60s/early '70s when they were racing Saturday night short tracks. Just old Chevy clunkers back then.

4. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poor Buicks!! Took these pics at a local wrecking yard!

5. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Well Sonny, I recon I'm gonna fix 'em all someday, and sell 'em on that there Barrett and Jackson show I see on da cable TV.........

6. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

lol picked clean! ugly 53-54 dodge 4 door everything gone cept for the HEMI! picked clean is right, just not the right parts

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  7. BobG

BobG

WE all hate to see these old treasures rottin away but... There was a time when all these old classics wasn't worth all that much... if anything.

I remember buying 2 dr 55-7 Chevy's at one time for anywhere from $50.00 to $250.00.
    I bought a clean 55 Nomad complete driver for $1100.00

In 1972 I bought a nice 65 Nova SS with a 327 4 speed for $500 and a real nice 67 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed less only the motor for $225.00.
    The Chevelle got saved from a guy that was going to make a Stock Car out of it.

A friend of mine bought a 68 Camaro convertable in 1971 for $900... the car was 4 years old.

But also back then you could of bought a brand new 70 Hemi Cuda Convertable for under $4000

Who would of thought any of this stuff was ever going to be valuable?

Most guys will remember that's the way it was, but we also remember the old cars weren't that rare back then.

8. BobG

BobG

9. Heck there not that rare even today. There are still lots more projects than there are people who have the ability finances & time to fix them up. OldWolf

10. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I keep driving by a junkyard that has a 56 Ford 2 door sedan, a 57 Chevy 4 door and an early sixties Falcon Ranchero that appeared a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to talk to the owner and see what it would cost to drag them out of there but I'm having a fundage shortage problem due to health problems at the moment so there isn't any way I could swing it. :( I might be able to get a picture one of these days though.

11. The local scrap recycling yard has a corvair, 1960 chev 4 dr & a 63 chev short bed set off to the side. Ive got the money but I dont even ask. he will eventually get pissed at lowballers trying to buy at less than scrap price and put them through the shredder.:eek: OldWolf

12. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

The trunk disappeared off the 56 recently so they are selling parts off them. I think they would sell whole cars if the price was right but I imagine it would be well over what they could get for crushing them. It's a good sign that they are sitting untouched for a while. Most of the newer stuff that goes in there doesn't last long. It's up on the rack getting all the fluids drained and then it's gone.

13. I have a 55 ford 2 dr Ranch wagon sitting & rotting. Ive let it sit & rot for over 30 years. Now someone else need,s to do sumthin with it. Its advertized for sale in the hamb classifieds. I want to spend the money on my 55 chev 2 dr wagon.:) OldWolf

Attached Files:

14. These are all for sale and within an hour of my house.

I'm not exactly sure as to what this is? Any help figuring it out would be appreciated!

(1930 Plymouth Sedan?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both for sale but I dont know the price! I would scoop em up in a heartbeat if I could.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  15. brewster55

brewster55

crushing these soon. have them up for $500 each and all i get are pms telling me not to crush them, but they dont want them. its a shame. ill pull some parts off for one guy that actually made a decent offer, and the rest is gone forever.

cant say i didnt try.

16. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

A late '40s Chevy in the woods on Stuart Island that's a little beyond saving...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

That sucks man, and it's standard issue too sadly, people will never come through, but they will tell you what to do or claim they would have bought it after it was gone...

What do you want for the back up light assemblies on this one?

[​IMG]

18. I don't blame you at all. We see folks saying "what a shame...don't do it..." etc. But when it's time to belly up with some $$$ - nothing but crickets. So many cars, so many projects, are listed for sale but some 'critics' do little more than nitpick them apart - "too much $$, too far away, if I had room, she won't let me get it..." excuses galore! Yeah it's too bad to see 'em go to China in pieces, but at least you offered 'em up first.

I like seeing the 'sitting and rotting' stuff. Thanks to all for posting the pictures, and for some - the stories as well.

19. there are some easy salable parts on the 53 &54 cars. The hood hinges are part of the air box vent. I sold a pair for $200 plus shipping. Someone on the ford Barn is looking for some. The stainless trim is sought after. The front hubs drums & bearings will sell easily and will shipp in a post office flat rate box. I sold a lot of parts from a 53 I bought for $5! I cant blame you for scrapping. Im doing the same. Not all the scrap is going to china. In fact the lions share is smelted down right here in the US. OldWolf

20. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

could u pm me what town these are in? maybe a location?---theres still a few parts i see on them---thanks

21. dan sutton

dan sutton

Spotted in a junk yard...

Attached Files:

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wish you guys that buy these cars to sell or part out would be a little more patient before sending to the crusher,put them where the neighbors cant see them and advertise. You are not going to sell all the good parts or the whole thing over night so quit being impatient,there are times you cant sell a very nice running car quickly and would you send it to the crusher if you cant find a buyer in a couple weeks. It took me a couple years to find a buyer for my wagon that would give me what I wanted so slow down and give it some time.

23. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Brewster , If you have to put these cars down are you going to pull all trim, tail lights ,knobs and what nots off first ?When stuff like this comes into my work I try to at least save the small stuff if I can.

24. The car in post #5567 is a 1930 Essex, not Plymouth. Here is the 2 door version. The Plymouth had a more oval rear window.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  25. brewster55

brewster55

you have room in your yard to hide 3 full size cars from the neighbors in fall/winter when all the leaves are off the trees? id rather use the room for cars i actually want, not ones somebody on the internet might want 3 years from now. ive had them for a month, how patient should i be? the guy ive got them from has had them since the 60s, im not trying to keep them around that long lol

yeah im gonna pull off as much as i can, and have room to store in the garage attic.

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do have room for a couple and a tarp to cover them helps keep eyes off of them.

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Said it for years,there are more yahoo's that say "save them all" than actual buyers.
    Proven on here monthly.Part them out and ship them off.Time is money.
    I prefer to have my money making money not is some static display waiting for a maybe buyer
    As far as storing cars for months or years I have done it and if it is a highly desirable vehicle it can be worth the effort.Those aint it,IMHO.

28. So, just curious...what did you buy them for if you are just going to crush them anyway? Are you a scrapper?
    Not very many people have cars this old anymore. Its not something you go to your local junkyard to get parts for. No one knows you even have them. I usually have to keep an old car I bought for a year or two at least before someone that wants it or wants parts off of it finally finds out that I have it for sale.

29. Foot Feed

Foot Feed
    from AK

One the my favorite wrecking yards I used to go to had rows of oldies. It was a walk down memory lane.

Almost a year past in between visits, and I needed a walk down memory lane.

Memory lane was gone.

I asked the owner what happened.

He said he had to get rid of what wouldn't sell, to make room for what would sell.

30. Taff

Taff

good on you for at least giving it a go. talk is cheap on the 'net, at least you tried.

so make the guy a decent offer and park 'em up for 30 more years. or quit bitching.

choose.