Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Dec. 2012 Banger Meet...1243 Ho,Ho,Ho,Ho,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ok but why?
    My original question was is anything on this motor translate to an A motor. Could the head, crank, cam, or anything else be of use for a Model A motor? The way Olds heads can be adapted to Chevys. Before I just off it I would like to explore its uses a bit, because I really dought I will ever get another Whippet banger.

I'm not yet ready to give it away but who knows you could end up with it someday.

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

will an over head survive as a daily driver ???????

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Don't beat it like a red headed step child and it will do just fine.

4. joemac05

joemac05

I have purchased a set of spark plug adapters for my 1928 Ford banger.

I would appreciate some opinions on which common garden variety modern day spark plug I should screw into them. :confused: :D :D

Thanks,
    -Joemac

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Don't beat it like a red headed <NOBR>step</NOBR> child and it will do just fine.

LOL thanks !!!! ya got one ??

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

New engine gets assembled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. deuce295

deuce295

Curious where others are finding high compression heads for model a motors. I have a motor all inserted, stipe cam, header, dual 97's and have spent almost 3 years trying to find a head for it. I talk to Snyder all the time and after about a year and a half of being told "a couple months" I am pretty sure that is not going to happen. Have looked for Winfield repops and usually get "we just sold our last one". I have added my name to lists at dealers to let me know when they get some and never hear anything. Maybe I'm using the wrong deoderant or mouth wash, I don't know. Anyway it looks like I will have to use a stock head. Does milling it of any benefit or is the chamber just wrong. Any input would really be appreciated. Thanks

8. I would try Charlie Yapp at Secretes of Speed. He makes flat heads and overheads for four cylinder Fords. I think his speed equipment is Scalded Dog. My friend down the road is a machinist and he milled his head. Works good.

9. Theres one on Ebay right now only it ends shortly. Hefty price tag though.
    High Compression Cyclone Aluminum Head Model A B Ford Speed Equipment | eBay Or just be persistant. There was a Model A motor with a Winfield 6-1 head, Winfield intake and BB carb on the HAMB classifieds a month ago. It was listed for almost three weeks with no takers so I was able to talk the gentleman into selling only the Winfield stuff. Paid top dollar but got something I wanted.

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

sent pm to you

11. joemac05

joemac05

I case anyone else is wondering the same thing....

Carrying on myself I decided an AC-R46XLS would be about right. I'll pick some up next time I'm at a store that sells AC plugs. For now I've got a set of Champion RN14YC plugs I'm going to try if it ever stops raining. :)

-Joemac

12. Hope you guys see this before you move on to 2013....

Some of you may have seen my '30 Tudor I bought back in June. I have the title in hand in my name that states "1930 Ford".

I tracked down a previous owner, and he stated that he had the original engine for the car. I made a deal and picked it up today, along with 2 small boxes of miscellaneous parts, and some other pieces that I probably won't use....

I looked up the serial # (A42612**, A and 7 digits) online to determine when it was produced. January 1931! The firewall is either '30 or early '31 as it doesn't have the teardrop recess, but it has a '31 grille surround.

My question...If the engine was built in Jan. '31, could it still be titled a 1930?

Also, is this banger any better (better internals, parts) than either of my other A-bangers (AA18187** or A25832**)?

If you need pics, check out my albums....

Thanks for any info!

Brett

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yes , it was a late '30 registered in early '31 . just go by the title !

14. Carter

Carter

Brett, the engine was stamped after being test run. Your number was stamped as you said in Jan. 31.
    It could have been up to three months later when it would have been put in a chassis and the number would have been stamped into the frame during assembly. So, technically, that engine would have originally been in an early 1931 Model A.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. That is kinda what i thought, but wouldn't that mean my sedan should have been titled a 31? And it has a 31 grille surround. So it sorta makes sense....

16. Carter

Carter

Yeah it should have been titled a 31, but lots of things can happen over 75 years. Is your body still on the frame? Was wondering if you had checked frame number.

17. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

When states started titling cars a lot were mis titled. Or your car has body parts that were changed, very common. Unless you are doing a points car I wouldn't worry about it. My '31 roadster was titled as a '30 because of the engine number it was not the original engine.

18. Carter, I haven't had the body off the frame, but I have all faith that the "original" engine number (not the one currently in it) matches the frame number. This number is the same as on the title.

MJW, not a points car, so no big deal, just would like to know the history to the best of my ability. It'll be a hot rod of sorts, not really "period correct" but generally themed as such. I just want a neat little hopped up banger. The car is pretty sound, but it's going to be a long-term, build-it-as-you-drive-it project.

Nobody has addressed the advantages, if there are any, of the 31 engine over the 29. The two "complete" engines are both summer '29 builds, one was rebuilt in the mid '90s and the other appears to have been rebuilt (judging by the color, red head/green block, and black liquid gasket oozing from between).

The current Tudor engine....
    [​IMG]

The extra 29 engine...
    [​IMG]

I'll try to download pics of the 31 engine this evening....

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

check the red head for the letters "BF" on it ............

20. I will when I get home. Where on the head, and what does it signify?

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

In my opinion the later engine is the better engine. Revisions made by the factory were intended to improve the manufaturability and reliability of the engine. The later the engine, the more of these revisions would be included in the block.

Here is a list of some of those changes:

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studies/CYLINDER_BLOCK_CHANGE_DESCRIPTION.pdf

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studies/LETTERS AND NUMBERS AND CODES.pdf

Here is a link to more info:

http://www.plucks329s.org/

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the "BF" is a brumfield head , 5.9 / 1 i believe ............ good head . it will be on top between the dist & the water outlet . raised letters

23. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

If thats and original red stripe water hose you can get big bucks on Ebay for it from the points guys. Go to fordbarn to see the difference between them. I made the mistake of not knowing better and cut mine off.

24. Thanks guys!

The head doesn't have a raised "BF" that I can tell, but I'll look again. It DOES have a "13" stamped between the waterneck and the #1 spark plug. Does THAT mean anything?

(running to the spare '30 frame.......looking around........looking again......)

I'm back....NOPE, no "BF"! Drats! But the "13" is still there........

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  25. The "spare" 29...
    [​IMG]

Here's the "13"...
    [​IMG]

...and some other "distinguishing marks", this one between 3 & 4 plugs...
    [​IMG]

....opposite side....
    [​IMG]

Oh, and here's the '31....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. RussTee

RussTee

Well guys its Xmass day down here down under time to thank all my banger friends for their advice, help in getting parts, telling me where I am going wrong or just sharing your story and pictures with me.
    Hope you all have a very merry xmass and a wonderful newyear.........Rusty

27. While Santa is away delivering to the good children the elves have been busy in the workshop............for the naughty ones.

Attached Files:

28. Thanks Rusty and the same to you and all of the other Banger Boys that make this forum so great !:)
    Ron

Attached Files:

29. RussTee

RussTee

Now cyou are talking that is my dream oneday but in the meantime I will dream on