Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 14, 2012.

1. deucemac

deucemac

It appears that I could consider myself a mere kid at 65, with some of the guys here. I am currently blowing apart my '32 roadster for paint and upholstery ( my avatar). I am helping my friend Dick "Peep" Jackson with his latest project. a '49 club coupe mild custom. I helped with wiring and some mechanicals. Dick is staring down the barrels of 80 and still going strong Great guy to work and BS with!

Attached Files:

2. I'm 64 and am building my 31 tudor/ 270 Hemi, and just got a 28 Whippet tudor body (another Hemi or a 440). Still do all my own building, buy as little as possible.

Lee

3. pointer-1

pointer-1

Still doing what I always did. Just finished 72 International Scout ll with my youngest son (40) and started 49 Ford Custom before that was done but this will probably be my last. I had a 49 Ford first car so a 49 last seems right. Hope to have it done by early summer. My how time zips by. AND 66 IS NOT OLD!!!!!!!! JUST A NUMBER

4. prpmmp

prpmmp

WOW WOW WOW!!! You old guys ROCK!! A inspiration to all!!! I,m a little behind in age (58) but reading this tread gave me a thought, (I have very little)! If we all move into our own Hot Rod retirement community!! Junkyard, massive shop,parts warehouse,ect,ect!! O and a Hooters for food!! Pete

5. pumpman

pumpman

Don't know about that retirement community, but it sure would be one hell of a city! Only hot rods would be allowed on the streets and there would be no need for cops because Ryan would be policing our hoodlum asses.

6. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Man it is so nice to see the older guys still doing it. I would much rather spend my time with you older gentlemen and pick your minds than messing with the new crap. "KEEP ON TRUCKING" guys..... You pave the way for us to follow.

7. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Well 62 and 12 hour days in a body shop and all the other stuff including probably 400 restos rods, and drag cars and helping every one with their projects the body is pretty shot shoulders knees,back and brain (I did grow up in the 60,s) I,m kinda wore out ,but good for advise and I might have one or 2 left in me hey I should get out in the garage and get that 40 dodge convert done nah........I stay right here and see what the know it alls have to I sure am learning alot about internet profit!!!

8. hupster

hupster
    from california

Thanks Tim. I don't think I'll ever build a 40 Ford. I'd hate to have to have my work compared to the outstanding work you do.

9. TomWar

TomWar

I am 71 now, started this roadster from chalk marks on the floor, when I was 67.
    Been driving it for 3 years now. Built my 36 ford coupe in 1957. a long time ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  10. frosty49

frosty49

I am 69 and built my 49 ford cpe about 10 years a go and have driving the snot out of it since. Full race 276 flatmotor w/overdrive. I wanted one in the 50's and just never got to it. It makes me feel 18 when I drive it.

11. bowtie40

bowtie40

At 66, I'm still at it. Building cars at CH Groves. finishing up a gasser 40 Chev for my daughter to race, 56 Ford pu, and minibike for my grand kids. They will have to drag me out of the shop, to put me in a pine box...

12. Fenders

Fenders

Hell it ain't finished, I'm too busy to die !!

13. 66
    Been doing more rod/kustom work since I turned 60 than in the previous 35 years. ...was 59 and I built my dream garage/workshop, mostly stopped working on other stuff, started back on my old Fords and never stopped. I may be slow but I am doing it five plus days a week and having fun. I am on my third project since I built the workshop and have plenty more lined up.

14. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

im couple wks short of 66, with help from my son,,,puttin a 55 chevy pu. inline 5spd.

Attached Files:

15. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Still at it 5 days a week for my self. Started when I was 14, and have built 27 rods so far.Do all my own work. Just started my 6 T-bucket. I can tell I'm getting older though,body work is taking its toll , but won't give up , I think it's what keeps me going everyday.

16. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

I,am 59 and dont know any other way but to build it. Sure glad i stashed a bunch of parts back because today there aint no junk yards to go pilferin thru. I really feel for the young up and commers and i know deep in my heart its close to being a lost art. Now all they have is "buying it" billit yuck........

17. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

At 69 I look forward to going out to my shop and playing with my '27 roadster, it gives me somewhere to go.
    Hopefully, I'll finish it someday, if not, it was fun anyway.

18. fms427

fms427

Yup - almost 67, but have several projects underway and planned.......

19. TV

TV

Yes I do. I'll be 70 on Sunday.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  20. Veeee8

Veeee8

Good to see other people close to my age still working on their cars,I will be 75 my next birthday. I am working on a 50 Mercury two door ,as I had a 50 back in 1955,priced it and it was history,wanted one ever since. Veeee8

21. tom brown

tom brown

if you are really lucking- you will grow old- its the quality-not the quanity of the years. in our area there are dozens of geaser rodders building every day.most of us try to have a 100% self built ride.I,m driving over 10 self built rides all year-they are drivers. my good friend is finishing his 3rd, stanley steamer.along with several project trucks- his age- 83 looks 40 . they are 10's in quality. have to go- one of the 1915 indians needs carb work. to all the geasers- pain is just another emotion. tom age 73

22. 65 1/2 and still crazy after all these years! I like building now more than ever.

23. Mo rust

Mo rust

Some of you are commenting about it getting harder to get up and down on concrete floors. I've found a pretty good soluton. Over the years, we've bought these blue closed cell foam sleeping mats from walmart for about $5 each and cut them up and used them for insulation in our cars. These mats are supposed to allow you to sleep on the ground in sub zero temps so they make great insulation. They are also good to use to lay on under cars or for getting up and down from. They also keep the cold and moisture from the grage floor from soaking thru.

24. 40grit

40grit

cool idea. I like it :)

25. Carroll

Carroll

I'll be 70 in May and doing a frame off on a '37 Ford pickup. My first project, had one of these in high school in '59-'60 with a '54 Olds, auto, juice brakes and coil frontend. Sure wish I knew where it is today, so just decided to build one.

26. wutnxt

wutnxt

I'm 66 and recently finished my '33 pickup. Did everything in my shop on a shoestring budget. Some later pix with 3x2 setup and lakes headers. My '46 pickup (same year as me) done about 15 yrs ago, with my buddy's '40 pickup in background.

Attached Files:

27. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Here's a shot of my car at El Mirage last month. I just ran it for the first time at Speedweek this year. I'm 65 and just getting rolling. I have friends a lot older than me building really bichin stuff. Wayno

Attached Files:

28. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I am 69 and am still building. Lately i seem to be helping young whippersnappers with 32 frames. I still have my cnc mill and lathe and do a lot of projects for my car buddies who are all similar to me in age. Don't know what i would do if i couldn't go to the shop every day. Bingo? Naaa!

29. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Also have learned to keep a sheet of cardboard under the car, so you can slide it out to retrieve stuff you've dropped. A threaded rod hook also works well.

30. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

66 and building a 36 5 window,going kinda slow,but hopefully it'll get done before I do.