Register now to get rid of these ads!

Austin, TX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustang, Dec 14, 2012.

1. rustang

rustang

Hi... I'm going to be going down to Austin for some R&R mid next week through Christmas with the family....any must see car museums, speed shops, events or ??? while we are down there?

Thanks.. Tom

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Well drop by the speed shop for a tshirt.

Then get you some BBQ. Salt lick or Franklins or ironworks. County line if you like beef ribs. You should prolly try them all.
    Then home slice pizza and Lucy's chicken on congress.
    Might as well grab some tex mex while on town. It's all good. Don't go to Gueros though cause they suck.
    Amy's ice cream is a hit.

Hit up the continental club or if you want to try honky Tonk there's the broken spoke.

Etc etc

3. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I would go to Maudie's for some good Tex Mex or Hula Hut

4. rustang

rustang

Thanks....BBQ is on the list, maybe some 6th st., my sister mentioned the Salt Lick and Hula hut too.....
    The wife didn't say "no" when I mentioned looking around for projects..... :)

5. pearl31

pearl31

<cite>dicksclassicgarage.com. Dicks Classic Car is in San Marcos. Here you will find a number of Packerds, Duesenbergs, Fords, Chevys, Caddys and a Tucker with less than 10 original miles on it. They have a wide variety of books and stuff. We make it down there a couple of times a year. By the way, Check out The Mighty Six on youtube. I think you will like it.
    Hope that helps,

Rick.......
    </cite>

6. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Be sure and try a glass or two of Twisted X Beer while you're there. On tap only, but worth the search.

http://www.texmexbeer.com/

7. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Austin is long on beer, food, and entertainment and not so much on cars or car museums. It's a great place to find beer but God forbid you need to buy a piece of steel.

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

The Salt Lick.....AWESOME, make sure to hit it for sure. I grew up just south of Austin in a little town called Buda which has now become a big town. Tons of stuff to do down there. Have fun.

9. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I was in Austin a couple of weeks ago on business. Did manage to go out one night on 6th street. Tuesday nights are not the busiest but the the roof top bars are really great! Went to great steak place on the boss. Best Rib Eye I've ever had! Austin rules! Sure are alot of blondes all with Boots! Wow!

PS- some told us about a place that had "Chicken-Shit-Bingo". Anyone know about this?

10. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Another great car activity to do in Austin - one of the most respected - is to buy some old heap (preferably a VW or large 70's 4 door Buick) and glue/screw all sorts of zany shit to it. Old bottle caps, linoleum flowers, beer bottles, lace, fake hair, stuffed animals, real hair, rusty metal, you name it. Then, drive it down to 6th Street and park it. Crowds will love you for it and consider you a) a Car Guy and/or b) an Artist.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Raprap chicken shit bingo is at Ginnies little longhorn saloon up on burnet. Kinda north. It's... Well a bunch of people getting drunk waiting for a bird to shit.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gotta massively second the Salt Lick! I'm not even a BBQ fan and that joint is awsome!

13. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Go by Mercury Charlies

14. Austin speed Shop
    Maria's Taco Express
    south Side Flying Pizza (my favorite)
    Green Mesquite BBQ
    Mercury Charlies

15. rustang

rustang

Too funny... they do that up here at a bar in the Northwoods my wife and her girlfriends go to in winter (girls snowmobile weekend)...hahaha

16. rustang

rustang

Thanks guys!... looks like the Salt Lick, Austin Speed Shop, and a couple of other places will get the vote....

17. impalalover60

impalalover60

I'm right up the road in Killeen and I'm looking for car spots to go to. I went to Salt Lick last year for Father's Day and it was Awesome!!!!

18. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Austin really marches to a different beat. I was just there yesterday for another visit to my tattoo shop. I never knew so many hipsters were in this world. It's sure not like the rest of Texas.

Not saying it's bad, just a different world.

19. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

There are signs every where "Keep Austin Weird"... !! They are doing a great job of that..

20. A friend of mine who was born and raised in Texas said " Austin is the San Francisco of Texas" :D

21. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks Dreddybear
    I'll definetely go back and hit Salt Lick & Austin Speed Shop. Is the Speed shop open to the public? That's Jesse's place, Right? I'm not sure he would be open to alot of people stopping by to bother him. It would be cool to see.
    I'll pass on the poopin' Chicken dance!

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Drop by and say hi, tell em you're a hamber. Jesse will most likely not be there. Glad to hear you'll hit up the salt lick. Beef ribs there are amazing. I should mention its cash only and Byob :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

I was born and raised in Austin and have no plans of ever leaving. I agree with the speed shop, continental club and salt lick. It's a must that you guys eat texmex while here. I recommend El Rancho, Maudie's, hula hut, (red river), angies (e 7th)., among many other great options. Also, Austin has some great burger places. My favorite drive thru burger is Hat Creek and as for burger joints, I recommend Huts and Mighty Fine. Lots of great bars too. West sixth consisting of some cool casual well designed bars, east 6th is the classic 6th street that helped put Austin on the map, lots of college students and a young/rowdy crowd, the east side has tons of hipster dive bars, and Rainey street has some very well designed old bungalow houses that have been remodeled and made into bars. May favorites are west 6th and Rainey. Have a great time in Austin!

24. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Most definately will go again. Thanks!