Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '40 Standard Tudor Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Dec 2, 2012.

1. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Here's a quick update on the car:

Eaton Detroit Spring got my springs reworked this week. On the rear, we did a new shorter main leaf with reversed eyes, and dearched the pack. The front got a new narrowed main leaf and the rest of the pack was dearched also.

Today, I narrowed the wishbone to go with the new narrower axle for the front. After that was done, I put the main leaf, a few supporting leafs with a block to make up for the rest of the leafs on the front suspension, and hung it under the car. I did the same for the rear, and put the car down on the ground with the new tires. It's blocked up at where ride height should be in the photos.

Next up - setting up the stabilizer bars and shock mounts.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bitchin!!! Been watching your progress on instagram!! I have a Columbia coming up for grabs, too ;)

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Exact car I will build if I ever decide to give up my 40 Coupe! Just a great car!!!

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...thinking all black, with blackwalls 5.00x16 front and 7.00x16 rears...just a thought...nice score...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. tradrod

tradrod

Love it.....very similar to what I did to mine to get it low.....FWIW I used a 46" KP-KP Super-Bell, I also notched the frame for the wishbones. It looks like you may be using a 5" dropped axle, so that probably eliminates the need for the notch.

Cool car. Nice work :)
    Steve

6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I think I have a Columbia lined up....but it's good to know you have one too.

I have a set of 85hp '40 wheels for doing a black wall set.

7. Tell me about the axle.... 5" drop? Where did you get it? That's exactly how I want mine to sit.

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Great stance Cory. Keep the whitewalls and you will be happy except for cleaning time.

9. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I saw this car in person a few weeks ago. The pictures do not do it justice. The 72 year old virgin comment is spot on with the exception the 40 isnt angry about it and wont smoke when deed has been done. Looks great Cory.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice--looks great--just finished a black 40 std sedan for a friend in Sept. Will watch this one

11. Love how the car sits now.

12. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

5" drop Superbell with 46" kingpin centers.

I like them more than I think I'd like blackwalls....besides, nothing some Westleys can't take care off!

You guys are coming up with some great analogies....

13. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

14. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Your 40 sits perfect! Looks fantastic.

15. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

WOW,I hope my 48 sites like that!Could you use Posie springs to get that low?Looks great! Lucky

16. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Posies can get you there. I chose to rework my originals since they were in good shape, and Posies don't have tapered leaves like an original Ford spring.

If you have good originals to start with, I think you'll find Eaton can rework your springs for less than what it costs to buy new Posies springs.

17. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Well tonight, I drilled out the rivets for the V8-60 motor mounts, and drilled the frame for the Chassis Engineering stabilizer bar. I decided to sit my 90hp radiator on the frame, and quickly found out that I don't know all of the differences between a 60hp and 90hp radiator. The radiator sits too close to the front crossmember, with no chance of a lower hose going on.

I grabbed my Green Bible, and ran through the parts numbers. First, I found out that the braces that go from the radiator to the inner fenders are different.....I'm guessing longer, which would push the radiator farther forward. The lower pan is supposed to be different too, though I'm not too sure that I just couldn't modify my 60hp pan. Finally, the radiator pads that are riveted to the frame are supposed to be different too - I'm guessing they have a mounting location farther forward as well. I did find it interesting that the 90hp is the only car to show having side air deflectors, which my 60hp has?

Anyway, I guess I'll be tracking down some 90hp parts tomorrow. Does anyone happen to have a photo of the radiator pad (like in my second photo) that's riveted to the frame? I'm wondering if they're close enough that I can just modify my 60hp pads....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. bonesy

bonesy

That really looks outstanding. You definetly have the "eye."

19. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Cory- here is the stock radiator mount on my '40 coupe chassis. You will see the C.E. front sway bar, and shock kit also. Same setup as yours, dropped axle, etc. Steve

Attached Files:

20. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks for the photos Steve - that's exactly what I was looking for. I wonder if anyone reproduces those? I'm going to call the vintage Ford parts place I deal with today to see if they have any originals.

21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

In case you haven't noticed, I'm following a recipe cooked up by Danny Burroughs (hot rod pro) as seen with the '39 that Ryan recently sold and the '40 sedan that Jim Smith currently owns. I only deviated on the springs, but with the same overall effect.

I was able to locate the pads that rivet to the frame today, and the braces from the radiator to the inner fenders.....original pieces too. After I got that sorted out, I finished the welding on the wishbone, and metal finished the worked area. Also, per Danny's suggestion, I added a gusset to the CE shock mount to prevent any cracks.

The only thing left for the front suspension is figuring out the tie rod and steering arm situation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Fordy Frd

Fordy Frd

Subscribed - what a great car to start with!

23. Subscribed! Nice car, I really like how you have it sitting now.

24. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it!! Great detailed work as usual! Will watch from Shanghai :)

Matt

25. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Is that air freshener traditional?

Just kidding. Beautiful work so far and love the stance and wheel combo.

26. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Well the wife knew what I needed for Christmas, so the '40 got a Navarro and Stromberg setup. I set in a mock up block and the transmission, so I can start working on the exhaust when the headers show up. I set the intake on, and realized I was going to have some issues with the Stewart Warner heater. The heater connections cleared the V8-60 intake, but there was no chance that they were going to clear a regular fuel pump stand. I had planned on running a mechanical fuel pump, but changed my mind because I wanted to keep this heater. Plus, I didn't want to have any unused holes in the firewall. I picked up a Facet solid state fuel pump to use, and started on a offset oil filler/breather stand. I took some 1 5/8" bends, the end of a fuel pump stand, and a flange I cut from flatstock and created this new filler. It goosenecks over forward and towards the driver's side of the engine bay, and gives me the needed clearance for the heater connections.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since I was messing around with the heater, I removed it from the car. It worked ok when I tried it before, but I figured it needed to be cleaned up. I disassembled it, and soaked the burner/heat exchanger unit in a hydrogen peroxide and vinegar solution. I read about this being used to clean lead from guns, so I figured it may help clean this if there were any lead deposits in the burner. I soaked, rinsed, and spray it with carb cleaner for about 30 minutes, and it came out looking great. I didn't even realize the fins were copper before. After I blew it clean, I reassembled the heater, and reinstalled it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also finished mocking up the front suspension. I needed to pinch in the arms on the stabilizer bar some to better align with the narrower axle. I put it in the press today, and got them lined up much better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And since the car is getting a Columbia, I had to pick up this cool license plate topper from John Connelly.
    [​IMG]

27. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

Love your 40... here is my 39 that I sold to fellow hamber almost the same treatment in fact hotrod pro (Danny) gave me his wisdom and thoughts on the build... all orginal 60k miles one repaint good luck with yours...

[​IMG]

28. Cshabang

Cshabang

looks killer Cory!