Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

2. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

3. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

4. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Looking good!

Is that a foot-actuated brake pedal? I want to use a hand-actuated brake lever on mine for looks with a foot pedal inside for functionality. I want both to function. I still need to figure out how to do that.

Ideas anyone? I'm sure its been done before.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

If you are using a disc brake rear, you'll need to devise a master cylinder location and a linkage that will accomplish that.

If you are using a drum brake rear, not specifically made for racing, from a passenger car, you may have an option.

My car is that way and done so that they are independent of each other by virtue of using the emergency brake levers on my automotive brakes to connect to the outside brake handle, and the hydraulic from the foot operated master cylinder.

The outside brake lever could use either rods (like a model A Ford mechanical system) or cables (with small pulleys if necessary, like the Bugatti mechanical brake system) depending on what you have to work with on your particular brakes.

Mine has a shaft through a bushed tube welded through the tube frame with a lever on it which is pinned to a clevis on the front of a 1/4" rod that goes aft in my floor pan. That rod connects to a pivoting lever mounted on the left side bell of my quick change that has two opposing levers that pull each of the 1/4" rods that attach to the emergency brake lever on each backing plate.

The outside brake handle is visually pleasing and while a backup in case of an unlikely hydraulic problem, is very functional for loading and unloading from my open trailer.

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks 28',
    That gives me plenty to think about. I will be using drums in the rear.

Merry Christmas.

8. jimg12

jimg12

I think one of the first to do that was Gene Hartley in the Bolanher #4 about 58 or 59. He said he did not anyone to see when he was using the brake. Back then most all the cars had outside brake handles wit the kill switch built in them. They did not want to remove the handle or the kill switch.

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That's interesting.

I did a similar thing on a bracket drag truck I built with a hand brake - with a momentary brake light switch on the hand brake handle.

I could apply the brake without turning on the brake lights.
    I could turn on the brake lights without applying the brakes.
    I could apply brakes and turn on the brake lights.

It kept other teams guessing. It was one reason that vehicle was imminently successful.

10. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

My car originally had the hand-brake and I plan to put one back in. I also have a hydraulic switch that can turn the fluid pressure off to the fronts with a 1/4 turn..... then using the hand brake or foot brake you are only using the rears...With disc brakes this is about the only way to do this without alot of unnecessary hardware.

11. Keep the info and pictures coming....cool car....love it...

12. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Thanks for the pics. Looking really nice.

13. kradt

kradt

Hi, new member here. I was wondering if anyone knows of any restored midgets that ran in the Buffalo New York area from 1946-1955. My dad raced midgets in IRA for four years. He and I were talking, and he wondered if any of the cars he drove or raced with were still around. I'm looking for mostly local cars, not the ARDC kurtis Krafts.
    Thanks in advance,
    Keith

14. sideways27

sideways27

I am working with Arlen Kurtis and have listed an origional Kurtis Kraft Midget racing Hat that is signed by Arlen on ebay. I am thinking one of you would like to add this to your collection. There are only a few of these left. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy this item.
    Item # 281041513103

15. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

I am looking for a torque tube and front ball socket for the Hillegass midget seen above...any help would be appreciated. Also, I need 2- torsion arms for the rear .I need to offset the rear end about another 1/4" .......Thanks and Merry Christmas

16. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

If you want it correct find yourself a pair of forged arms that have ambler cast on them. Every tube frame Hillegass that ever left the shop had them.

17. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

Thanks Stan,
    There unfortunately seems to be very few people who have any...or if they do they are not selling.The Torque tube is my priority right now...I need the ball socket too. I am hoping to get this car done for the upcoming season....Thanks Keith

18. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

19. sideways27

sideways27

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  20. Alfa3

Alfa3

Thought you would like to see how I did my Rail Frame with hand and foot tied together. I seem to grab for the handle more then using the foot pedal.

Phil

Attached Files:

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks to Alfa3 and to all who contributed ideas on how to do this. Happy New Year

22. Alfa3

Alfa3

Had a request for more pictures, I dug these out from a couple of years ago when I was re-doing this Rail Frame my father built back in the day.
    Little Fauss you guessed correct, a Spaghetti Offy it is. <TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ebe9ed; BORDER-LEFT: #ebe9ed; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ebe9ed; BORDER-RIGHT: #ebe9ed" height=17 width=64></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Hope you enjoy

Attached Files:

23. sideways27

sideways27

I have never seen the Hardwood Door Corp car with a #8 in with this paint it was normaly #2 :confused:

24. jrbit

jrbit

:D Bought the roadster that Frank Curtis built. A REALLY cool car. Here are some recent pictures.

Attached Files:

25. jrbit

jrbit

I am curious, you have the car for sale on Ebay but it looks like a passionate project for you. Good luck either way!

26. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Do you know where this photo was taken? Thanks

27. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

Yes I have it to attract customers for my ebay Store. I tried to price it high so It wouldnt sell....I also listed it there to see if anyone remembered the car or had history and I have been lucky to be in contact with 2-previous owners and now have even found the original Hillegass trailer that was bought new with the car .........Its really growing on me and I may keep it for a while........Thanks Keith

28. Not a clue on the photo location. I borrowed the pic from the vintage pics from days gone by thread.

29. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

That looks like Milwaukee.