Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 14, 2012.

1. hupster

hupster
    from california

I'm 67 had cancer in 2005 and a heart attack in 2009. I finished my 10th car (about 38 years for the 10) this year. It's this 51 Ford woodie wagon. I'm looking for another shoebox woodie to do and have a 31 Ford coupe in the waiting line.

Attached Files:

2. marv norton

marv norton

Just helped completing My friends '32 Ford High boy which is flathead powered. Has a T-5 five speed trans and 9 inch Ford rear.

We are in the process of building my "high school" car A 1951 Plymouth 2 door club coupe. It is 6 cylinder flathead powered mated to a T-5 Ford 5 speed. Dual carbs, headers and electronic ignition. 12 Volt electric system and 8" Ford rear end. Stock front and rear suspension but going to lower it after the car is completed. The body is in the paint shop now. will be Vanilla cool white below the windows and drak burgundy top. Interior will match the exterior. White wall tires and four bar hubcaps to finish off the exterior?

Marv

P.S. JIm will be a young 76 and I'm just a "kid" of 71, really?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. treyrags

treyrags

After retiring from 30 years of drag racing my Dad started looking all over the country for a '36 Ford 3-window coupe body. He finally found one after several years and began building a street rod when he was 65. After a ten year build he finished this beautiful car at age 75. This is an all steel body that he built the frame and rear end housing for. He hand built the front a-arm suspension and rear 4-link suspension, bumpers, fuel lines, brake lines, headers, and numerous brackets all out of stainless tubing. He also built the stout 427 Clevor engine that he hand ported the heads and manifold on. He is now 80 and still works on it and drives it regularly.

[​IMG]

4. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

:confused: Define "SENIOR" ...... an' WHO doesn't build their own hot rods ? .... pushin' 66 !

5. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I am 68 and have a project car I work on when the weather turns decent. It usually takes me a couple weeks to get back in shape and able to put in five hour shifts on it.

6. NORSON

NORSON

I just turned 70. I thought I was the only one that was all stove up and hurting. You guys make me feel much better ..... or worse. I built a shop last year and have just about all the equipment I need and 6 or 7 projects I'm working on. I took a tig welding class and have attended a couple of metal meets. I'm having a great time. Norm

7. trbomax

trbomax

I'm 68 and after spending the last 3 years building my new shop (thats still not really finished), I'm about to start a complete overhaul of my 28 chevy 3 window. I wouldn't consider buying someone elses car, because no matter who's name is on the title,its still the builders car.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posted once already--great to see the older guys still building what they can. At 69 have one more in progress after just doing a few 40's. I don't think I would ever buy a done car but see many I admire--enjoy the build process too much. It is ironic that by the time we have the money and resources to do what we want, age slows us up but still very happy to be able to still put a few together. When I get going on one, I usually try to put in at least 30hrs a week.
    I see that Gary with the woody posted above. He is a guy that moves right along and builds top notch rides-I know he will do a few more and all will be as good as it gets-carry on Gary !!

9. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

<-------I'm building this one at 65. Probably my last build, so I'm taking my time and having fun with it while I can. Hell, I've never been in the income bracket that would allow me to buy one. My view is true hot rodders build their cars, everyone else is just a hot rod owner. No offense to those folks, honest. Everyone into cars is OK with me.

10. oj

oj

I'm 63 and in the shop every day, 70-80hrs a week. I'm in great shape and see no end in sight. I don't get as much done as i used to only because i am fussier, instead of hitting something with a grinder to true it up i'll face it in the lathe etc. But thats what we all do.
    I have customers that have hip or knee replacements and to watch them get down to admire somebodies exhaust work is an amazing thing to see. They will ignore obvious pain and difficulty just to have a look.

11. RTS1

RTS1

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all those with Birthdays either today or in the near future! I had my 63rd last month. When I was younger, I built or tried to build all my own cars. Money was tight and with a wife with kids on the way, I had to do the work myself or it did not get done. Luckily, my Brother-in law, (Past away now) worked in an auto part store, so I got good deals on parts or machine work. I had a '55 210 4 door sedan at that time. Got rid of that one and wanted another one ever since. Now, at the early age of 51, I splurged and bought another one. It was drivable and I kept it pretty much stock till my Grandkids said it needed carpet in the back floor or they were not going to ride in it anymore. So, I had new upholstery done. Then it sat for about the next 11 years, with me driving it occasionally. When I retired, I started working on it again. Unfortunately, at 63, I could not get down on my tired old worn out knees, my back is shot and I weigh about twice what I used to, so the stomach gets in the way sometimes. If I bump my arm or hands, they bruise easy. I too have to sit on the stool to work sometimes, but I still love doing it and I guess I always will. My car is now pretty much the way I want it, with a new crate engine ZZ4 motor with a new 700R4 with overdrive. New front end with disk brakes and power steering, new steering column with tilt. Upholstery is still very nice. I am installing LED lights for the front and rear. But, it is mine and I enjoy tinkering with it and driving it to shows and up and down the street. Mine is NOT a show car, it is a driver. I will always keep tinkering until I have the cover put over my casket.

12. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I'm still at it, a few months short of 62. Run my own business, volunteer in the community with Boy Scouts and as President of the Chamber of Commerce. Find time to wrench on the car, restore old boats and motors, snowmobile in the winter. . .as my 80 year-old uncle says: "We ain't dead yet."

13. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Rounding the second turn heading for 72.
    Finished this tube frame Fiat last summer. All home made suspension. Put doors and a solid roof on a Rich Venza Rod 'n Race glass body.

14. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 70 now and built the 34 pickup in my avatar after turing 65. I'm currently working on a 401 nailhead to replace the 264 nailhead now in the 34. Also, I'm just finishing the wiring and other mechanical items on an OT kit car belonging to a friend. Still love the challange and problem solving.

15. Be 80 on my next BD....two projects in the shop at present,,a 49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster and a 28 International 1-ton flatbed,,,do everything but chrome plating myself as its too hard to find "good" outsources.

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Had no idea there is this many old guys building away.. That's just great....

17. kennb

kennb

I'm 61 and try to do everything myself. Just picked up a Desoto Hemi to rebuild for my project car. Will do everything but the machine shop work on the engine, build my own frame and do my own body work and paint. Ken

18. jimvette59

jimvette59

I am 68 and getting down there is easy it's the getting up that is a problem.

19. 10-4 to that:)

20. Budro35

Budro35

I am 64 and still enjoy building my hot rods! Got one in the works and one waiting in the wings. My nieces son just turned 4 years old and the one in the wings we will build together for him...............he just does not know it yet!!

21. metal man

metal man

Dad turned 71 this summer. He just finished this '34 coupe this year. My son took this photo at 80 mph from my '40. He did all the work himself,including paint and upholstery.

Attached Files:

22. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

The only problem with that is he's a Clown! Wow had no idea you are that age..Damn you age well Larry!

23. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Gonna happen to everybody sooner or later..., the old age thing.....
    Sooner than most think, I'd guess;)

It was just a little while ago I was a kid. Can't figure what happened, but it sure happened fast:eek::D

24. 12905

Will be 81 next March. Still working on a 36 Dodge and have a 27 Essex and 29 Plymouth as future projects. Much slower now and have to plan the work better. I have a younger helper (79) for some of the tougher jobs.

25. deucemanab

deucemanab

I built my 32 in 1985,now at 75 still do some of the maint, like polishing wheeels. Deucemanab

26. jimvette59

jimvette59

68 and still playing with cars. I have an eclectic stable and sold the one in my avatar in the 80s. I do all the fabrication etc. but farm out the engine and paint because I want it to be right.

Attached Files:

27. I'm not an old guy:rolleyes:. I'll be 66next BD. I've got the metal work done on 2 bodies, started on a 3rd and have it pushed around where it looks like it will fix. I'll finish it later.
    I started on a late model this week:eek::eek:. I'm going to use it as a daily. 57 F100, wife told me to leave the original paint,we'll see. My plan is to be driving this spring.

28. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Turned 77 on Friday, still working on my 37 Dodge canopy express. I don't get as much done as before but beats sitting around.

29. Mo rust

Mo rust

My father turns 80 next July and he's done three ground up builds in the last 5 years and is starting a complete rebuilt of his chopped 51 merc this winter.

30. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

I'm only 69 so I'm not old and still going, don't ever intend to stop building things including Cars or other stuff.

I saw a comment that it can be a bit hard getting up from the ground. Happens to me a little bit so if it becomes a problem I will get a collapsible walking staff and hang it off the side of my belt like a hammer in a holster. That way I'll always have something to push myself up with.