Register now to get rid of these ads!

what year desoto is this? pics of chevy with desoto grill?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, Aug 18, 2011.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Found this desoto in the woods kind of near me I am going to go cut the front end off it and use the grill in my 52 chevy was wondering what year it was. I wanted the scoop to but some asshole allready tried to remove it with a crow bar and chipped hunks out of it. Unfortunately its a flat 6 and not a hemi or I would be grabbing that too. Anyone happin to have pics of a 49-52 chevy with a desoto grill?
    [​IMG]

2. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I think its a 51 nice find.

3. 51 or 52 both the same.

4. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Looks like a 53. What else is there?

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The different shape front and rear bumpers would give the Chevy a nice touch.Get the Desoto brackets with them.

6. Squablow

Squablow

It's definitely, 100% surely a '53. That's the most desirable one, the 51-52 are similar with individual teeth but they have built-in parking lights on the end teeth unlike your '53 grille which has two slightly smaller teeth on the ends.

You'll definitely want to get the lower pan that the teeth bolt to, plus the front and rear bumpers for sure off of the car. The teeth are much easier to mount in the car if you have the DeSoto pan to work off of, and the bumpers are quite attractive and can work on a Chevy if you narrow them.

If the plastic on the steering wheel is any good, get the whole wheel, there are a lot of DeSoto restorers looking for good ones (although if it's a Powermaster it might have the plain-jane wheel in which case it's not worth much). The dashboards have some cool gauges which could be worked into a rod as well. Also rocker trims are hard to find as the rockers had a tendency to rot off and the trims would just fall off. Beyond that, there's not much else worth saving on that particular car.

Great score though, well worth the effort.

7. jipp

jipp

cool find, that is too bad about the scoop thats cool too.
    chris.

8. What was the old car behind the Desoto?
    Nice score on the grill etc.

9. Never2low

Never2low

Definatly take your time and pull all the trim, even if it is a more door. Someone is bound to be looking for some of it, and it doesn't take up alot of room in the garage. Bumpers and grill are a score and a half. Any emblems in good shape are desirable as well. Almost looks like an AD Chevy flatbed (or bedless) in the background. There's a door to the left of the Desoto, and what looks like even more back behind the truck. More pics

10. DAMN , why cant i find a 53 desoto sitting like that i WANT one of those grilles SSSOOOO bad awesome find

11. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

The cars are down in a little swampy valley so there pretty rusty and some scrappers came thru and stole a bunch of trim and broke allmost every window there theres about 5 dodge cars from the 40s and 50s 3 ford falcons a 69? Mustang fast back missing most a 50s volvo a dodge truck the vw van was taken by scrappers and a shell of a more door 35? Ill get pics when I cut the front clip off the desoto. There's some britsh car there I can't remember. The name off also. The desoto grill is far from perfect but its usable on my car untill I can get it redone.

12. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Got my grill today its ruff but useable untill I can afford to get it stripped and rechromed. Couldent get the bumper today because it started raining real bad. The teeths chrome is pitted but the rust stains come off with a little scrubbing. The pan has some rust thru but there's enough there to make it work.[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

13. soak it all in white vinegar for about a week does miracles to rusty stuff

14. Is that tree growing up through the floorboard and out the windshield opening?

Check your Dodges for Hemi motors and get the numbers off the Mustang and run them on the off chance it's something desirable, there's always the chance that there's something you can make a buck with. If the '35 is a Ford then there's a lot of resellable things on it, too. Better you get it than the scrapper and every dollar you make is money you can spend on your car.

15. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Never heard of the vinegar trick does it harm aluminium? And ill get more pics soon there's no hemis the first time I went there and saw the dodges and desoto that's the first thing I checked. The stang is a 6 cyl car doubt its anything special has a rear under it but no trans and the body is swiss cheese. Ill try to get pics off all the cars next time I go if its not raining the scrappers have been taking alot of loose stuff its a shame there prob the ones who broke all the windows.

16. Killerpaint

Killerpaint

I Know somebody who has the hemi out of one of these for sale all painted and perfect condition if you're interested.

17. mackster

mackster