Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Insani-T Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by op4wd1, Nov 3, 2012.

1. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

OK here goes I got this 1925 Model T Doctor's Coupe from Montana. Body is very solid only rust through was around the rear fender irons.
    I've had the car since 2006 been doing a little from time to time but now I going to try to focus and stay on the build.
    My nick name with my friends is Doc Brown because of all the wacky out of the box things I come up with. The build and the name of the car is Insani-T.
    I have stripped the flash rust that was on the body by soaking the body panels in vinegar then washing them down with my power washer. It would take from two to three days for the vinegar to loosen the rust up. (Buddy of mine calls it pickled steel)
    I am widening the body 4 inches and making it 5 inches longer. I'm adding the 5 inches in the doors. The body frame work support was all wood which most of it has dry rotted after its 80+ years of life. I'm replaced all the wood with steel trying to make the pieces the same shape as the wood was. It will get a 6 inch chop in the front and a 4 inch chop on the rear . Going to do about a 3 inch channel over the frame. So bear with me with the build this is my first rod I've built done plenty of muscle cars in the past.

Doc Brown
    [​IMG] Car in Montana.

[​IMG] Tear down many moons ago.

[​IMG]
    In process of widening the cowl. Reshaped the lower part of windshield part of the body from flat to curve of Vickie windshield frame. Driver side contoured, pass side still flat like original T was.

[​IMG]

Cowl widened with filler panel rough welded in.

[​IMG]

Rear cab panel with flash rust still on the ends, center portion after vinegar bath. Will strip the end pieces when I cut apart to widen.

[​IMG]

Panel above trunk lid widened, test fit, waiting for grinding welds and trimming.

[​IMG]

Side mock up view.

That's it for now will keep posted on updates as much as I can. Hopefully those of you with more rod building expertise give me suggestions in case I'm doing something dangerous.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. Beau

Beau

Interesting! Keep going.

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

im liking your build , keep up the good work

4. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Bitchin! I just bought a 24 T turned into a roadster myself.

5. kennkat

kennkat

;) wow.... Keep going, I like it......

6. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Been gone on business meetings last two weeks, then weekends doing honey-do projects. Last night was the first time I was able to get back on the car. Got the two corners the rest of the way de-rusted.(AKA vinegar soak)
    Got the Passenger corner chopped and fitted to weld in.
    Then as fate would have it I turned the Argon tank on and heard a hissing coming from inside my TIG welder. Luckily I did not turn the switch on right away because I would have not heard it with the fan running. Took cover off and hose was leaking at the fitting going into the gas solenoid. Tried to take the fitting off and it broke in to. So after a few choice words took the solenoid over to the bench to extract the broken piece. Now off to the Local NAPA praying they have a fitting that will work.
    Later Doc Brown!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sololobo

sololobo

What a cool project, will stay tuned! ~sololobo~

8. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

NAPA Guys saved the day had fitting to fix the solenoid. Got enough to change both sides of the solenoid. Now back out to the shop to fix welder.

Doc Brown!

9. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Been able to do a little more the last few days.
    Made wire form for rear 3rd brake light and got opening cut and form welded in. Figured it would be a lot easier on the bench than hanging every which way to get welded in. Also got most of the quarter windows and back corners tig welded solid. Next is to get the B & C pillars fitted and welded in place before I put the back window panel in just in case I have to make adjustment to something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  10. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

Isn't Rudy Petra's '23 called the Insani-T? Since back in the late 80's?

11. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Have know Idea who that is. Got me! Show me proof and I'll rename it.

12. This is a killer build. Subscribed!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That was Rudys fuel altered was it not?

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm curious as to the end result of all that widening.. I'm not seeing the pics in post 9 either? :confused:

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not sure but mybe this is it.

Attached Files:

16. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

Yes, I have a couple of his T-shirts around here somewheres. He and my father-in-law go waaaaaaaaay back.

17. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

If pic above is the car it is a roadster, my build is a coupe and Spelling is different. Mine's a street rod not an Altered. Don't think there is any chance someone would be mistaken on which car is which.

18. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

TexasSpeed still in the process of the widening. Redid the photos on post #9. You should see them now.

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks cool! But why a 3rd brake light in there? That's a tad bit street rodder to me, or is that your direction?

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

sorry was not trying to ster up shit it just stered up some cob webs. looks good man if you are going to put a blown mill in it maybe you can look up Roudy at R and P blowers. I have made a cupple trips up there for blower parts neat guy.

21. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

what are those lil bolt delios you used to hold the panels together?

22. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

See them now. Thanks.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Patrick,
    As Lee stated they are Clecos. Many places sell them Eastwood, Speedway Motors, Aircraft Spruce, Summit, Jegs, Ebay, ect... They come in different sizes 1/8 and 3/16th are the most popular sizes. There is a special plier that you use with them that comes in most starter kits or you can buy separate. I use mainly the 1/8th inch size. If your going to be fitting panels together they are a great tool to quickly attach and take apart. If you are going to use them a word to the wise get more than ten. I have about 50 of the 1/8th inch size and still seem to run out when I'm test fitting things.

Doc Brown (Joe)

[​IMG]

25. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Chaddilac,

The reason for the 3rd brake light is: To get to my house the 2 lane HWY is heavily traveled about every two weeks someone gets plowed in the ass because idiots don't pay attention to traffic in front of them. So I'm hoping to make the car a little more visible so maybe they will see me when I'm waiting to turn. Do know how well I would react if someone slammed me in the rear after all the time I will have in building this car. And don't really want jail time either from knocking a hole in someones head. So That's the REASON!

Doc Brown

26. chaddilac

chaddilac

Makes sense!! I dig the build, keep posting!

27. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Well today home because of Winter storm that may turn into a blizzard. So I'll update my slow progress so far. Got pass side quarter window chopped and welded in place. Started this morning on drivers side. Hopefully will get it that all completed today since of the storm. Lets hope I don't lose power. But where I live it could happen at anytime.

Doc Brown

[​IMG]

Can see the difference of the chop from the un-chopped drivers side in the background.

[​IMG]

28. Yer a good'n!

29. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Well be working on the car when I can. Got aluminum belt line trim widen and studs in trim install. Welded belt line back together after adding 3.5 inch piece then welded over all 34 studs in belt line trim piece. Got the rear window panel welded in and filler strips welded in for the widening process. Got new rear trunk/tail light panel bent up at my friend Bill's race car shop. THANKS Bill for use of your shear and brake. Also got the new trunk lid bars bent for redesign trunk lid that I'm making.
    Hopefully I can get tail light holes cut and the opening reinforcing pieces welded in and the panel welded to the body this week end.

Doc Brown (Joe)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  30. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ