Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Mattitude: the Beginning

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TexasSpeed, May 31, 2011.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks, guys!

I know.. I know.. I hear enough of that from my friends.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

technically it already rolls, and you own a pickup... im just sayin all you need to find is a downward slope on congress and your made in the shade. haha

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

school is such a killjoy.

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

5. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

That's a HUGE accomplishment Matt. Anytime you take a pile of parts and transform them into a something you can roll outside for a look is big.

Keep it up brother, you are coming along just fine....

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That certain pick-up is a broken, crappy, POS '68 C10 that is desperate need of a major over-haul.. :( Now, that doesn't mean I don't have other resources. My sister's boyfriend just bought a '67 Dodge pick-up with a 4-speed. I drove it the other day and I'm in love with it.. :)

Less than 3 weeks left until it's not. So ready.

I saw that but I didn't realize that the 283 I have already has a Magneto of some kind on it. I haven't gone and seen it since I took this picture but you can see the Mag on the back as well as the box on the driver's side. I'll be bringing it home as soon as I free up some room and my brother-in-law's in town. It's at his old shop along with all his stuff.

[​IMG]

I know I keep saying this elsewhere but the Magneto could be a good sign that the inside isn't necessarily stock. I'm hoping it at least has a bigger cam but I wouldn't be disappointed if it's a bored out stroker. :)

Thanks!

Keep plugging away at it.. Seeing your roadster was a HUGE motivation to get this thing cranking. Can't wait to see it again.

8. Elrod

Elrod

^mag-neeto=Neeto mag!

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

That's a mallory mag-spark distributor, that box on the side there is actually an ignition coil. Not really a mag, but cool nonetheless. If it still works, run it. I had the same setup on the y block in my coupe.

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm still wet behind the ears with early speed parts. :)

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

To muddy the subject a bit more, there were also some Mallory Magneto/distributors that started on points and switched to full on mag operation once a certain rpm was reached. They had an outboard control box too.

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Well, now I have something else to cross my fingers for.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Matt, those early Mallory mags were fine on street driven applications. Not great on high compression stuff. And as a note Spud at fuel injection enterprises bought out all Mallory Mags recently and has the parts and tooling. He has done work for me and is reasonable.

14. oh my goodness I can't wait for an update!!!

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Since you commented.. Here's a teaser. ;)

Finally brought the '57 283 home. It's been more than a year since I bought it and it's finally sitting in my garage. Won't be sitting on the floor too long though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. shane85

shane85

17. OK, that's plain awesome!

18. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

How the HELL haven't I commented on this yet!?

I love it all dude! and I want that 283!!

19. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I think we're going to see some cool stuff again now that the semester is a done deal. :cool:

20. Yeah, I can't wait to see some progress.

21. Koz

Koz

Way cool! You know how much I love those little Chevs and this one is just the nuts. Glad to see progress again!

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have a chrome Oil canister that'll fit that engine if you want to go that route. :D

Looking great!!! I really want to put a early 283 in something else down the road. I just love these little engines. I think it's flathead or early Chevy for me from here on out!!!!

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks guys! I'm excited about this engine.. I'll get it fired up on the single 2-bbl and run it as is until I rebuild all the carbs for the 4x2 then switch them out later on.

I looked inside the bellhousing and it still has the clutch set-up. It has a three finger clutch too. Would all of those work with the '39 Ford trans? What parts would I need to change over from a Chevy clutch set-up to make it work with the top-loader?

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I might get back to you on that one later. :)

25. farmer12

farmer12

That engine is going to look perfect in your car. Very nice!

26. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

That motor is really nice. It almost looks like it sat on a shelf for 55 years. Some simple green and some shop rags and you're good to go!

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The funny thing about that engine is it was rebuilt by the owner before my brother-in-law and was going to go in one of his projects before he died. I'm amazed that he rebuilt it this way. Around here, aftermarket junk is really popular so I'm very appreciative that this dude was smart enough to keep the staggered bolt heads, the 'Vette covers, the MagSpark stuff, and all of the early Chevy parts.

I still need to take one of the heads off and do some measuring.

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I finally got a chance to read through the whole thread. I really like your attention to detail and the direction this is heading. I really respect a true period perfect build. I know it's a ton or work to do it right.

Now finish up that school work and get your ass back in the shop. :)

Looks great Matt keep it up!!

Oh yeah and there's nothing untraditional about building a coupster. I've seen a shit on of coupe bodies with the roofs cut off from back in the day.

29. Black Primer

Black Primer

Wow Matt, She's a beauty. I'd shine that up and put it in my living room.

30. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thank you! School has been done since Wednesday for me.. So I've been cleaning and making room as well as working on the A. Monday, my brother will be returning home from Dallas with an index card cabinet that I bought which will be storing all of my nuts, bolts, washers, and a lot other smaller things. That will open up a lot more room in the garage. I saw a post about this on the HAMB, where some guy cut off the top of the oil bottles and used those as buckets in the drawers. My cabinet is different from his but will serve the same purpose. I can't wait until it's here so I can get into organization-mode. :D

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6707075&postcount=23

Other than that, here are some progress pictures from today..

Switched out the 350 for the 283..

[​IMG]

I think after I cut a V behind the crossmember and move it forward to get the angle back at 7, a radiator will clear it just fine. Yay for measuring right. :cool:

[​IMG]

And a real cool dude on here (skatermann) donated these sweet Guide 682-Cs to the project. Also scored a fog light that's a tad bit bigger than the one I have. I thought I ended up with a matching pair. Oh well. Haha.

[​IMG]

Just waiting on a couple more parts to get here soon so I can start mounting the wishbone ends to the frame - after I reset the angle of the front crossmember and flatten it out some, of course..