Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

I'll be 76 next Monday and though it's harder now I still enjoy getting out in the shop. My Morris Woody is almost finished and am looking forward to getting back on the roadster. Not sure if I have anymore projects in me, we'll see where I am when the roadster finally hits the road.

2. Griffdaddy4

Griffdaddy4
    from Albany,Oh.

Still active at age 78. check out my projects in Albums included in my statistics!

Attached Files:

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Me neither...I've just seen a lot of wrong. 55 years in the German technical trade erased any and all 'illusions'... (maybe I'm just 'annointed')

4. 64 ....build all my own crap....work 40 to pay the bills.....work 60 in the shop.....friends ..say that heap won't ever run....get rid of it.............got rid of the ''friends''...........much better!!!

5. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Im still in!!!
    If it wasnt for these damn minibikes i would be workin on my 36 FORD
    FRANK

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Will be 65 in April. :eek: :eek:

I still enjoy my 32's ... but not as much as in the past.
    This past winter, I said I was not doing anymore builds and sold off all projects I had and ALL of the related or possibly needed parts for them.

Then in March of this year, my all steel 32 roadster ( that I have owned for over 30 years ) had a engine fire.

[​IMG]

So I was forced back into the project status.
    I have been slowly undoing the fire damage ... ( engine out, hood and firewall off and the grill removed ). Every wire in the roadster cut out. I am at the turning point and it is starting to go back together. The firewall is fixed and painted and all the engine parts are back from the machine shop. The short block is now put together.

I see NO future projects for me ... unless I buy the wife a 40 Ford coupe ... to replace the one I sold ( to a fellow HAMB member ).
    But I will most likely try and BUY a higher end build and just let HER drive it :D :D

7. Redfan45x

Redfan45x

My friend is 20, built his own.

8. pitman

pitman

DR, after I got over the shock of seeing the fire, I was admiring your back-40 acres!
    At 60 yrs, I spent the last three building a second ground-up. Just to make it durn-near maddening, I took friend's needling and went E-based. Ultimate sin? As usual I had to find out for myself. Always wondered if an engine MAP had anything to do with AAA? Nope, but the learning curve a bit steeper than I'd like. Still fun, as the older brothers here say, but I enjoy a drive, and wrench when necessary!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  9. I'll be 63 in 5 days and I have a complete 40 Ford p-up build going on now with another compelte build (the most I have ever had to do) on a 32 Ford 5-window in the wings. I do most everything save for machining on engines and such. Still doing the 40 hour deal but hope that will end in the not so distant future. I love getting out in the garage but hell, I still go and play golf whenever I can, run around with the grandkids whenever possible, build a couple decks here and there - I can't do just cars and I need a break from time to time. I can then get some perspective and I'm all fired up an rarin to get back at it again afterwards. I'm slow but sure (due to my limited time) but I'll continue to build as long as I'm physically able to ....

10. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I have to build them myself cause then they are built the way I like em to look and drive. I'm a pain in the ass perfectionist. I even piss myself off cause I can't leave something alone until it's perfect by my standards.

11. chopped

chopped

67, put the 64 Townwagon on the 88 Ramcharger frame last summer. It's running and driving. Just gor the 55 Chevy, only neds full pans a tail section and quarters.

Attached Files:

12. das858

das858

My Dad is 80 and is working on a 1940 International pick-up right now.

13. I am 71 and sold my 57 Chevy truck about a year ago. I thought I was done. I have had extensive back surgery and some other issues. I finally had to tell my wife I was either going to buy a bike or another car. She opted for the car. Although I bought it I am in the process of making it mine. The old body won't let me do a lot of the things I used to do, but I still have the wants. This getting old thing sucks, but it beats the alternative.
    I have to do quite a bit of the work on my 54 for two reasons, I'm cheap and I love doing it.
    Later,
    Dick

14. At 66 and closing the gap on 67 real fast but I still enjoy building. Just finished a 37 Chev coupe for a friend in April, still have to finish my 64 2 door post and have an A coupe in the wings with a 324 Olds/Lasalle combo waiting.

15. kingofthestreet

kingofthestreet

My dad just turned 70 and he build this 1928 Sedan

Attached Files:

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 67 and spent 12-1/2 hours yesterday and 8-hours today wrenching on my latest project, a '36 Ford 3-winow. I'm planning to drop dead with a wrench in my hand.......................

17. Bounder

Bounder

I'll be 70 in march and after I get the 351 and C6 in my merc I'm. done. Just too damn hard to get under the dash and under the car. Plus Arthur is starting in my hands, can't pick stuff if it's heavy.

18. 69-3//4 plus a few days. I've always loved the build process and driving them comes a very close second. Have 3 projects going right now, with only the track roadster in "done" status. I don't remember how I got enough time to build like I did when I was younger, working full time and raising a family as I'm sure slower now. I wouldn't know what to do with myself without projects.

Charlie

19. roundvalley

roundvalley

74 years old. Just put 700 Mi. on this new project built in a one car garage.

Attached Files:

20. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I'm too young for the thread title at only 63 but I did recently buy a completed '32 Brookville roadster. Today I drove it to my buddy's barn/garage and for the hell of it we'll probably take it apart over the next couple months and then put it back together in time for early Spring.

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Seems like a lot of us old guys like to 'build' hot rods..

22. Started this project on my birthday in 2003 (62nd) finished it on my birthday 2011 (70th)...Did the great majority of it with a $180 bandsaw, a $50 used drillpress,pretty decent MIG, lotsa trips to the steel supplier, many dollars @ McMaster-Carr,etc,etc
    Found out after two times I'm no painter!! Learned about fiberglas , wiring,Turbos,and EFI...
    Tried to duplicate everything I ever read/saw that looked like the car I wanted..
    May not fit the traditional mold ,but it makes me grin every time I drive it..
    Stan

Attached Files:

23. I'm 72 and knee deep into the restoration of a 1953 Buick Skylark convertible.

Attached Files:

24. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

That's a very cool roadster and I like how it's a little different.

I have a couple turbos on my other non HAMB car and they're responsible for a permanent smile on my face :D:D

25. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

65 years old here. Got my first project a 1926 Model T Tudor Sedan in summer of 2011. Don't know why I waited so long as having a lot of fun and learning a lot of new things. I gave myself a window of 2 years to have it running. Not sure I will make my time limit, but it will be close. Engine (383 stroker) will be done early next year I hope. Only thing really holding me up is money for necessities. Been doing all I can by myself within my abilities. Will post some pics later.

26. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I turned 64 last Saturday and I love to build. I have three finished old cars in my garage now and my roadster will be finished by next spring.
    Unfortunately, because of some significant joint problems my body has told me in no uncertain terms that I just cannot do this anymore.
    Right now I work about 1-2 hours at a time, take a 30 minute break, a couple more hours then I'm done for the day....by evening time my neck will be very painfull and a migraine will be cooking. The following day will be spent recovering...

With the exception of my ankles, knees, hips, back, neck, shoulders, elbows, and wrists, I feel pretty good, just not good enough to keep at it anymore:(:(

I finished the last full on body restoration project last summer. Here's the build thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738350

Once my roadster is finished, I'm finished.

Not the end of the line though. Maintaining and servicing 4 hot rods will keep me busy enough to get my fix:)

27. Dennis D

Dennis D

I'll be 63 on the 27th of this month. My plan is to drive my "32 replica 5w to Ca. to spend some time with my daughter the year I turn 65. It is taking more time to get the body even close to looking right than I would have ever imagined. Can't wait to get it to the point that I can take it to the painter so I can get after the mechanics on it. If you're going to buy a glass project, do your homework and save yourself a bunch of time. (especially if you ain't got much left!) :D Dennis D

28. synchro7

synchro7

At 66 I;m still building my own. Have a 30 Ford coupe, a 56 T-Bird, and working on plans for a 54 Chevy COE trailer tower.

29. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

I'm 66 and trying to finish my 33 Chevy 5W coupe. I find I'm slower that I was a few years ago but I intend to have it out of the shop by May.

30. west mi finn

west mi finn

58 now figure by 65 should be able to start my own projects:(