Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 14, 2012.

1. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

Still going strong at 66, can't see changing anytime soon. Still get goose bumps when I start the car, only old from the neck down.

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Don't do everything myself, but even back in the sixties me and my friends resented those who tried to "buy" their way in. Nothing to do with money, but it is a hod rod we are talking about. Just because you buy a big yacht, that don't make you a freakin sailor. Gotta do some stuff your self, or at least have a resume if you can't.

3. the37thstreet

the37thstreet

I'm 72 Finished a 1937 Ford Pheyton hi-boy this year. Now working on my old high school car a 1941 chev coupe. ( I'ts in the blood )

4. You got a couple of years on me and I am wondering how I am going to finsh my next ride. :eek:

I have a friend about your age that still builds his own cars. Well he still does the part of it he has always done, he is not a painter or upholsterer, I still build his engines but he is right there wtih me when it is time to screw it together. We have both crawled out of the garage (holding each other up) @ 3:00 AM so filthy that we had to strip down and hose off before we could go in the house. His wife always laughs at my legs, she says I look like a water melon on two tooth picks.

He had a quadruple bypass about 7 years ago.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm 67 and while I still do the work myself, I have to admit it isn't the thrill it once was. Not saying I am ready to take up golf, but the enthusiasm isn't quite what it was 50 years ago. Once I get started I am ok, but it just takes more push to get me to begin these days.

I used to say I liked building them more than driving them, but now I think I have reversed that thinking a little. :p But even owning a hot rod isn't as exciting as it once was. I would have killed to have a car like my 27 when I was younger, but now it is just not as exciting.

Don

6. KATFISH

KATFISH

69 and still pound it most every day, (metal that is) . still cut ,fabricate ,wire, paint and make my own beer.

Still drive my car's when and where i want.will help someone fix thier's if they ask.
    Will give allmost anything i have to someone who needs it. but will still call you an asshole if you are one.

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I love building things and working with my hands and the only thing I can think of that would be better is if all of us could get together in one shop and build our stuff under one roof. I love seeing how other guys who were made a lot like me do it their way. Think of the fun and laughs we could have.

8. I'm still strokin along on my 34 five window and I'll be 65 in a couple months. It's always been fun for me and I've got 2 more projects lined up to build after the 34 is done.
    I just wish I had a running, driving hotord. It's going to be at least a year before my car is driveable and I'm gettin old here!

9. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

I will be 76 next month and have two projects, a `35 Ford Cabriolet and a `51 F1. I enjoy the time I spend on them. I still own the 37 Chevy coupe pictured.

I envy the talents you youngsters possess.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  10. 87Heaven

87Heaven

66 in two months. Retired earlier this year.
    Started a frame off 40 ford project 2 years ago and am about half way. I spend time in my shop every day. The welding, grinding, fabrication is like therapy to me. As long as my health holds out, I cant imagine doing anything else.
    My dream is to build a 32, but money and time is the only obstical.

When I retired I was told that "60 is the new 40" man I hope they were right.

11. Jokester

Jokester

64.25 and still do it all. Can't wait til I retire, so I can do it more hours a day.

.bjb

12. ford6man27

ford6man27

I am 70 and still restoring 50's and 60's dirt track cars. Restoring the beat up old bodies,building new roll cages, building a lot of old parts that can't be found or bought. The cars pictured I have built in the last 5 years after I turned 65. We race these cars at Crawford County Speedway near Van Buren Ar. I am still driving at 70, won 4 feature races in 2012. I guess you have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up. The white 34 chevy coupe is my grandson, I feel very fortunate that I get to race side by side with my grandson.

Andy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tinhunter

tinhunter

I'll be 67 in 19 days, I'm usually in the shop daily for at least a few hours and still enjoy it. Bought my 5 window about 3 yrs ago thinking I would just make a few changes and would be good to go, Ended up as a complete build from scratch.. just prefer the way I do things myself as opposed to someone else's vision and/or workmanship. Don't foresee any changes and I'm actively looking for the "next" project. There are still at least 20 cars I'd like to build someday LOL

14. silversink

silversink

69 and still building, just finished My grandfathers 1948 International last Feb. I have a 30 A in the shop and plan on buying a 51 Olds Convertable in a couple of weeks thats done and ready to have fun in.
    I figure if i'm building one ,I can buy one. The wife won't ride in the pickup so thats the reason I'm buying the Olds and if she wont ride in that one I'll but another, sooner or later she will figure out either ride in them or maybe I will have to build a new parkiing shop to hold the fleet.
    Untill I die I will be working on a project as that is what keeps me going after 3 heart attacks and lots of aches and pains.
    By the way did I mention the Int will run in the low 13s at the drag strip? I drive to the strip with wide whites, change tires and run the hell out of her.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 69 still at it. Built several 40's in the last 2 years and starting another. Keeps me occupied and I love the build. Expect this one will take me about 3-4 months if I stay at it. Every one I build I say it is the last one but that was 5 cars and 2 1/2 years ago. Maybe this 40 coupe is the last one but probably not. Don't plan to ever buy a done one--seen too many with issues.

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Glad to see there are still old guys who love the build process.. I don't do paint or upholstery but seeing a bare frame and a body just makes me start thinking about searching for parts, doing something different on this build, and having fun being in the garage listening to jazz, sipping on some adult beverages and doing what I like, building it for me and no one else...

17. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Lotta experience on this thread, It would be nice if we all lived closer. I turned 66 this month, took my 49 F1 for a shakedown run to Albq NM in oct. Now I have a couple more items to fix. If the decent weather holds I may get around to some of the other projects, & I have many. Hope to take the F1 & my canned ham camper on a long road trip next summer. I still do 95% + of my own car stuff.

18. FEDER

FEDER

61 and 15/16s heading out to the shop now. Fed

19. Hell I'm only 70 and have just as much fun playing with cars as I did when I was 7.

my projects move about slow as I do. I cut and install glass in old cars 7 days a week. not much time for myself

my new years resolution for the last 10 years is to do something for my own damn self

have only 4 projects going so this coming year will see some progress. I realise that even if I live forever (hey it could happen) I'll never be without a current project

20. BBrust

BBrust

67 and in the garage almost daily. I seem to change priority more often than I used to. Most of the time is spent on my 49 Ford Coupe. Whatever is left is spent on my 35 Ford and 54 F-100. Haven't touched my 39 Ford sedan delivery in 10 years but I will get to it.

21. 73 and still building. 54 chev pickup at this time.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

22. billcove

billcove
    from mass

Hi i am 71 and still doing it all. (except upholstery} i am doing a 49 merc rite now. in the shop 7 days a week. owned a shop most my life. retired at 60 bill

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Any of us 60+ guys that think we dont have many years left needs to go take our of Gene Winfields classes like it did. Were still snot nosed kids.

24. Dizzie

Dizzie

I'm going to be 60 next summer, and still love to build cars, but do it at a much slower pace. Also, I've become much fussier about my work as I get older. I thought that when I retired 3 years ago that I would have lots of time to work in the shop. I seem to be busier than when I had a 40 hour a week job. I'm lucky to get a couple days a week in at the shop working on the '34 pickup.

25. pumpman

pumpman

66 going on 18 (according to my wife), finally finishing the roadster this winter and collecting for the 32 coupster. Working on a 59 El Camino, still tweaking the Brookwood and having the time of my life.

Attached Files:

26. 2935ford

2935ford

Well, at 65 I've got 3 I'm working on. Keeps me busy, active and happy!

27. hallrods

hallrods

My Dad is 69 and is about to finish his 1932 ford roadster with a 354 hemi no fenders. He retired as a welder does all his own paint and rebuilt the motor. He is the master in my eyes.

28. jhayse

jhayse

i have a 50 merc that i tinker with and at 74 it just takes longer but someday lol

29. I'm 65 and doing a complete build.

30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I can't remember not having one or two under construction. I don't do my own automatic transmissions or build my own torque converters but I do

build complete bodies or do major modifications - chops, channels, etc.
    build complete chassis
    build my own motors
    build my own manual transes and rear ends including narrowing
    paint
    wiring and electrical
    upholstery

and I also drag race some of 'em.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood.