Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leadsled612, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Can I touch up or repaint my old plates if I decide to put them on my 50 Merc?

Attached Files:

2. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I dont see why not...as long as they are going back to original color. There are guys who restore these all the time. Im sure technically your not suppossed to tamper with any plate, but with antique items you should be fine.

3. Sure. Hotrodladycruiser painted hers to match her car. The letters where painted the same color as the car, and the background was black. She drove the wheels off of it, and as far as I know, she never had a problem.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not knowing your state's rules, I can't say for sure. But most the states I know of that allow original plates have no issue with restored plates, as long as the colors used are accurate. My DMV has a list of what year plate uses what color combination. I've got year specific plates on all three of my cars, and two of them I restored. DMV inspected both of them prior to issuing them to my car and had no problem with them being restored.

5. brianj

brianj

Different rules state to state. That being said, it is highly unlikely the police will bother you about something that minor.

6. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Florida for instance cannot be restored to use as (YOM)year of manufacture plates.

7. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

your plates seem to be in good condition and there is a market for the old plates you may be making your plates worth less by painting

just saying

8. Have them registered at your local dmv.(you'll have to bring them,and they look nice as is=aceptable). They really frown on modifications=any. Get the paperwork done,then do em' up afterwards.

9. The plates look great bin their current state,,in South Carolina the DMV says they have to be original. HRP

10. I tried to get my old 49 Plymouth licensed with 1949 plates. I took the plates into the dmv in Stanwood, they opened a book up and the color on my plates didnt match, end of story, they wouldn't do it.

11. Minnesota says they have to be original , but many guys have repainted them with no problems

12. swissmike

swissmike

Restore AFTER getting them cleared by DMV!

13. Radiation King

Radiation King
    from Ohio

They can be restored in Ohio, but they have to be original colours

14. senior fried

senior fried

Wise Move !

15. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Try going to one of the sub-agent or contract offices. The ones that are run by regular folks instead of bureaucrats. When I did my YOM plates they only looked at the plate long enough to read the letters, didn't even look at a book IIRC. They may charge you $12 extra, but its worth it :)

16. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

I've registered five cars with year of manufacture plates.. all five were restored before showing the clerk the plates.. not a single issue. They look up plates online if the colors match im good.

No i had a problem once with not having two plates. In washington a front plate is required. I had an issue with a clerk for not having two... even though if you register a vehicle as collector, or horseless carriage they only issue you one plate..
    so i waited for the clerk to go to lunch and talked to the next clerk.. no problems..

Nathan

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When Maryland started this there was only one lady in the whole state that could OK them we had to carry them to Glen Burnie to get her approval. It's not that way any longer. Thank God. I even know of a Model A roadster with 58 plates on it. I asked the guy how did you do that? He said the dumb clerk never noticed the dates and gave him the one time registration for the 58 tags. Of course he has to get antique tags every year so the state still gets their money but it is not technically legal. Been that way for years now. There is nothing as scary as having an old lady at DMV say you can't do that.:D

18. Oklahoma allows YOM registration. The plates CAN be restored, but must be in the original colors. Yeah, there are a few around here that have changed the colors of their plate to match the car or whatever, and that is supposed to be illegal, but I do not know if they've ever been approached on that by the LE-types or not.

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

In Kentucky the YOM law states the YOM plate must be a KY plate. No mention of paint or restoring them. Just found a place called Deer Run Mercantile in West Virginia that sells license plates and bought an NOS 62 Kentucky plate for $29.95. NOS is a lot better then restoring one, all you have to do is bolt it on.

20. Same way in South Carolina,,we have to send a photo to of the tag to Columbia for approval,they keep the photos on file. HRP

21. KATFISH

KATFISH

Most states want to see both plates (if two were originally issued)when you register them for use as antique YOM.

After that you can usually only put one on the car and be fine .

I wouldnt do anything to those plates ,get them ok'ed and run the better one as is

22. BBrust

BBrust

Leadsled612 - If you are currently using antique or classic tags, get the form MV-11V from the PA MVA website. According to the form, all you need is a color photo of the plate, the MV11-V form filled out and $75.00.