Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 chev coupe rare or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vandit, Dec 14, 2012.

1. vandit

vandit
    from dundas

i dont mean in production numbers but in hot rods i dont see alot of these in hot rod forum lots of fords a lot less chevs or maybe these weren't considered good hot rod material what do you think:confused:

2. len1/2fast

len1/2fast

3. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

I think any car that survived that long is rare. Nothing wrong with a 40 Chevy.

4. Cover car this month on Street Rodder Magazine is 1940 Chev coupe........ Not too many rodded I believe simply because the roof line is less smooth in transition to the trunk than the 1940 ford which is probably the best 1940 model hands down. This from a 1947 Chev coupe owner, same roof line as a 1940 just a little bigger and longer front fenders. This being said anything is fair game now as all the old tin is hard to find and 1940 fords are $$$$$.

5. Teal32

Teal32

My '40 Special Deluxe is the only one that I know of in NW Ohio. Hope it stays that way.

6. I think they are great cars, but then again I've had my '40 convert for just a few months shy of 34 years and 180,000+ miles.

Charlie

7. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Because Fords at that time were the best performance for economy cars.

8. richie rebel

richie rebel

i love 40 chevy cpe's

9. RatRoy

RatRoy

I love my "40"...:):)

Attached Files:

10. aaggie

aaggie

I love my '40 sedan but remember they were one year only body so parts are harder to find.

11. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I know what you said about the '40 Chevy roof line. GM called it a "Turrent Top" design for obviuos reasons.
    That's why I changed mine! Much better now!

Attached Files:

12. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

40 Chev coupe looks better as a street rod or resto rod look
    40 Ford coupe looks better as a traditional hot rod

13. I like what you did in smoothing out the transition, it looks very nice. I can also see your rear fenders fit as well as my 47's do. :rolleyes:

14. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I have a 40 Chevy seadan for sale and can't get anyone to even look at it. Too bad; the car deserves to be finished. It may end up as scrap.:( But if it was a 40 ford I'd have people lined up around the block to buy it at my price.

15. vandit

vandit
    from dundas

my coupe has a a 4" chop it does change the overall look of the car takes away from the bubble look

16. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

We're working on a '40 Chev coupe. The line in the body at the rear fenders seems to have no relationship with the shape of the fender. Wtf?

17. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Yeh, those pesky rear fenders are a pain. I've seen guys weld them in and radius the transition, but that's a ton of work.

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

We have a '40 Chevy coupe at the shop. It was street rodded at some time in the '70s. Gold and brown, yuck!

I can't help but think the roofline is reminiscent of the '40 Mercury and a hardtopped chop like the Matranga Merc would look great on it.

19. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Hmmm?

Attached Files:

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yours has always been my favorite. You can look up the old posts on your build thread. ;)

Any updates??

21. Personally I think the welded in smoothed out rear fender look is to street roddery. It looks to me that they either cut the mounting flange off and bend the fender to fit and weld and/or use a ton of filler to blend. I have yet to tackle this issue but plan on pie cutting the mounting flange and trying to reshape the fender as best as possible without messing with the quarter.

I love that chop and I bet it would look great on a 40's Chevy. Wish I could drop mine off and pick it up looking like that one.......

22. vandit

vandit
    from dundas

mine is chopped 4" molded front and rear fenders the rears only have the seams filled front is more rounded out frenched 39 ford lights shaved trim no bumpers or chrome uses a firebird clip and rear sits low with steel wheels and w/w tires very old school

23. I didn't think they were rare 'till I went looking for one. I LOVE 40 chevy coupes. In high school I had a very nice 41 chevy coupe but a good buddy had a real live 40 coupe...I was always wanting his car. Ended up with a 40 sedan but it wasn't the same.
    Fast forward 35 years and I finally sold off a black 41 Pontiac coupe to get my gennie 40 chevy coupe. Had to have it transported from Michigan to Nebarska as I didn't find one locally.
    I swapped it for a 70s Vette to sell to fund my 34 ford five window...
    40 chevy coupe was 2nd on my bucket list...34 ford coupe was first.

Attached Files:

24. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

This is my buddy Eric's 40 coupe. He's driven this thing probably 360 days a year for the last 10 years. Snow, rain, ice it doesn't matter. A true daily driver hot rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. vandit

vandit
    from dundas

very cool !!

26. sololobo

sololobo

These are so beautiful and really stylin. Under appreciated to say the least. ~sololobo~

27. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Crusty Chevy,

I had help on that chop. I knew what I wanted to do and first did it on the computer. I went and searched out old timers who chop Mercs as that was the type of chop I was looking for. With their help of cutting, standing back, cutting more, standing back and etc., it took many days to get it the way I envisioned it.
    It ended up 3.5" in the front (did not lay back A pillars) and 4" in the back.
    Did not cut the center of the roof at all. That was done to retain the "roundness". It's the only 40' chevy I've ever seen chopped that way.

It took about 3 months to complete it.

28. bowtie40

bowtie40

29. If a chop is in the very distant future for mine defiantly Cletus's chop pic will be an inspiration, the hard top look is very appealing.

Raprap, I like yours much too, I will assume that since you did not lay the A posts back or cut the roof that you extended the tulip panel between the trunk and rear window to make up the distance the roof shortened when lowered. Hows visibility? even stock height there isn't that much glass to look out of to see over those wide fenders and the bulbous hood nose.

30. Normbc9

Normbc9

I look for them but see very few that are unaltered. They are a good foundation for a lot of work. Here is a photo of a very clean one with a inline engine change out to a later date stovebolt.
    Normbc9